Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 109 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Getting nervous about this recruitment. Reminds me to much of Hodge
Didn't Hodge actually have a post on our board? If Battle does that, it is the kiss of the Spiderwoman.

Last edited:
Didn't Hodge actually have a post on our board? If Battle does that, it is the kiss of the Spiderwoman.
You may be thinking of my post posing as Hodge being trapped in his motel room by N.C. State officials and having to endure meals at the Waffle House. It was one of my stronger efforts. :)

Can someone tell me (and maybe I missed it as I have perused this thread) why people are saying the penalty will/could result in the reduction of 1 of the 3 schollies per year? Is this a guess or are people in the know hearing this from the NCAA/Cuse coaches? Or, is that what the appeal seeks? A reduction of 1 per year? I actually would like to see the penalty cut in half with say a loss of 6 schollies over 3 years. That would be great all considering. Total guess on my part but that is what I believe will ultimately happen. I think a 4 year-long penalty is extremely harsh and we may see the length and severity reduced to 6 over 3.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me (and maybe I missed it as I have perused this thread) why people are saying the penalty will/could result in the reduction of 1 of the 3 schollies per year? Is this a guess or are people in the know hearing this from the NCAA/Cuse coaches? Or, is that what the appeal seeks? A reduction of 1 per year? I actually would like to see the penalty cut in half with say a loss of 6 schollies over 3 years. That would be great all considering. Total guess on my part but that is what I believe will ultimately happen. I think a 4 year-long penalty is extremely harsh and we may see the length and severity reduced to 6 over 3.

There has been some info out there on blogs and such saying that the Staff expects to get some ships back. There has also been some supposed inside information saying we will get some ships back and then of course lots of speculation. It makes sense though that we would get some relief especially with the UNC ruling coming up.

Is there any sort of time frame for when we should hear anything from the NCAA about the appeal?

CuseCaboose said:
agreed. I think this goes down to 6...at worst

agreed. I think this goes down to 6...at worst

I hope you're right--that would be a significant reduction. It would sure take the sting out of the sanctions, which were excessive, capricious, and punitive in the first place.

A one year postseason ban and 6 scholarships over 3 years is a lot more commensurate with the generally penny ante nature of our infractions than the unprecedentally harsh penalties originally imposed were.

I hope you're right--that would be a significant reduction. It would sure take the sting out of the sanctions, which were excessive, capricious, and punitive in the first place.

A one year postseason ban and 6 scholarships over 3 years is a lot more commensurate with the generally penny ante nature of our infractions than the unprecedentally harsh penalties originally imposed were.

Now I may only be a "Walk On" on this site, and along with that someone with no credibility, but I have been a regular visitor to this board over the years. I am as die-hard an Orange fan as they come. The announced retirement of JB and the tumultuous last few months have brought me out of reader-only status to poster. I will say that when the initial sanctions were announced (12 over 4) I immediately concluded that they were set as such with the expectation that an appeal would reduce it to an intended/somewhat rational punishment. To me, that should be about half of the 12 schollies or less. As for the time-frame these will be spread out, who knows. Maybe they will reduce it to 4 schollies over 2 years, but I doubt that. I have felt strongly all along that this is a 6 scholarship over 3 year, 1 post season ban punishment.

Let me also say that I realize that this is a Tyus Battle thread and I am not trying to take said topic in another direction (like our favorite candy). Most everybody who has posted here is agonizing over this kid's silence and decision to hold off on a verbal to Syracuse. I feel like most here- that this is because he is waiting for the appeal to come through (or the coaches have told him to wait). By the way, every time I say Tyus I keep saying Edney instead of Battle. I have to stop that. Coast to coast NCAA tourney winners will do that.

Editing this post I would also add that I feel this will end up being a 3 year ban so that the punishment does not extend into Hopkins' first year as head coach. That being said, this will IMO end up being a 3-year 6 schollie ban, or maybe 9 schollies at 3 per year. Hoping 6.

Last edited:
Now I may only be a "Walk On" on this site, and along with that someone with no credibility, but I have been a regular visitor to this board over the years. I am as die-hard an Orange fan as they come. The announced retirement of JB and the tumultuous last few months have brought me out of reader-only status to poster. I will say that when the initial sanctions were announced (12 over 4) I immediately concluded that they were set as such with the expectation that an appeal would reduce it to an intended/somewhat rational punishment. To me, that should be about half of the 12 schollies or less. As for the time-frame these will be spread out, who knows. Maybe they will reduce it to 4 schollies over 2 years, but I doubt that. I have felt strongly all along that this is a 6 scholarship over 3 year, 1 post season ban punishment.

Let me also say that I realize that this is a Tyus Battle thread and I am not trying to take said topic in another direction (like our favorite candy). Most everybody who has posted here is agonizing over this kid's silence and decision to hold off on a verbal to Syracuse. I feel like most here- that this is because he is waiting for the appeal to come through (or the coaches have told him to wait). By the way, every time I say Tyus I keep saying Edney instead of Battle. I have to stop that. Coast to coast NCAA tourney winners will do that.

Editing this post I would also add that I feel this will end up being a 3 year ban so that the punishment does not extend into Hopkins' first year as head coach. That being said, this will IMO end up being a 3-year 6 schollie ban, or maybe 9 schollies at 3 per year. Hoping 6.
Good start.

We were all "walk ons" at one point. So we know a walk on can be both credible and worth listening to and may also be in the know. When the sanctions came down there WAS a lot of discussion that they may have been set up for a reduction on appeal. So you are right on with what we discussed a couple of months ago.
Welcome, by the way.

I want to preface this post by saying that although it's my first, I've been on the board for years and some of you might remember me from the Orangecuse board "CuseOrangeNYC".

Anyway, I don't want to have my first post be a controversial one, but does anyone else think we'd be better off with Huerter than Battle?

I know the immediate reaction will be to dismiss this as lunacy, because obviously Battle is a higher ranked prospect, destined for NBA greatness. Huerter on the other hand would have to defy the odds immeasurably to even get drafted....but hear me out,

We've watched Johnny Flynn, Dion Waiters, MCW, and Wes Johnson leave as lottery picks and while it's clear they've all been far more talented, none did nearly as much for our program as GMac did. The short, slow, Irish kid who stayed for four years and carried us on his back. I know we don't win in 2003 without Melo, but we also don't even get by Ok. state in round 2 without GMac.

I think that unless you're getting 4+ McDAA's/year a la UK or Duke, a championship team needs to have a mix of young lottery picks and seasoned, heady veterans. I also believe that having those veterans in the backcourt is the most advantageous model.

I love What Battle brings (particularly on the defensive side of the ball with that length up top), but I really don't know that one or two years of Battle is better than four of Huerter.

...of course Huerter can always go 17 and we can get both. That wouldn't suck!

I want to preface this post by saying that although it's my first, I've been on the board for years and some of you might remember me from the Orangecuse board "CuseOrangeNYC".

Anyway, I don't want to have my first post be a controversial one, but does anyone else think we'd be better off with Huerter than Battle?

I know the immediate reaction will be to dismiss this as lunacy, because obviously Battle is a higher ranked prospect, destined for NBA greatness. Huerter on the other hand would have to defy the odds immeasurably to even get drafted...but hear me out,

We've watched Johnny Flynn, Dion Waiters, MCW, and Wes Johnson leave as lottery picks and while it's clear they've all been far more talented, none did nearly as much for our program as GMac did. The short, slow, Irish kid who stayed for four years and carried us on his back. I know we don't win in 2003 without Melo, but we also don't even get by Ok. state in round 2 without GMac.

I think that unless you're getting 4+ McDAA's/year a la UK or Duke, a championship team needs to have a mix of young lottery picks and seasoned, heady veterans. I also believe that having those veterans in the backcourt is the most advantageous model.

I love What Battle brings (particularly on the defensive side of the ball with that length up top), but I really don't know that one or two years of Battle is better than four of Huerter.

...of course Huerter can always go 17 and we can get both. That wouldn't suck!

Wes was the main offensive threat on a team that had the best shot to win the Title since '03, if not for Onuaku's injury. MCW got us to the F4. Flynn and Dion were good and I don't think either was thought to be one-and-done caliber coming in.

I see where you're coming from; it's comforting having a productive player for 3 or 4 years, but it's just rare these days and I'd personally rather have the talent up front. Battle could lead a team to the top immediately. With the way the roster is looking for '16-'17, immediate production is what I think we need.

Wes was the main offensive threat on a team that had the best shot to win the Title since '03, if not for Onuaku's injury. MCW got us to the F4. Flynn and Dion were good and I don't think either was thought to be one-and-done caliber coming in.

I see where you're coming from; it's comforting having a productive player for 3 or 4 years, but it's just rare these days and I'd personally rather have the talent up front. Battle could lead a team to the top immediately. With the way the roster is looking for '16-'17, immediate production is what I think we need.
Point I'm making is that maybe with the lone exception of Wes, each of those players left before developing into a complete player. MCW was great in that IU game, but really had a very up and down season as a sophomore. He shot terribly from the outside only to go off to the NBA and shoot the lights out from a longer distance line.

McCoullough is just the latest example. I wish him nothing but success, but what did he really do for the program (apart from help recruiting by us being able to say we get kids drafted)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom