Pitt a 3rd time | Syracusefan.com

Pitt a 3rd time

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I think at any level when you play someone three times coaches and players know internally what the deal is A) they are better than us (if we get by Pitt that will be our mindset against UNC), B) we are better and never should have lost or C) this game is a toss up.

Dixon will do what he does against us and JB will be JB.

The mindset of our kids and their kids will be interesting. Not the coach speak mindset where nobody is looking ahead, everyone is confident, etc, etc. BS - kids know what they know, and how it plays in this game will be interesting. If we fall behind do we say here we go again. Does PITT come in too confident? Does one team come out with more urgency? Do G or Cooney morph into hero ball saving us or killing us? Does PITT deep down know if we play up to our capabilities we are better, etc. What are the kids thinking?

This team plays hard but doesn't play tough or smart IMHO. How they approach the game Wednesday mentally will determine the outcome. For some reason - though I think this team is eh and only in the dance mix because college basketball is awful this year - I think we win by going against our grain and playing tough and smart offsetting our well discussed shortcomings. I think UNC runs us out in round 2 but Wednesday we get it done, and I'm the biggest pessimist on this board in regards to this team.

Yes, us even being close is only a function of all college ball this year

After watching us play over the past 5-6 games, I see another double digit loss to a team that thrives on our zone. To beat Pitt you need them to make plays off the dribble. We allow them to just pass and catch. They can make stand still shots. I think people need to look at VT as a team taking the place of SU or Pitt. They've won 5 games in a row and if they win a couple of ACC games they will have 12 ACC wins. That should get them in the tourney.

Given the scenarios of what needed to happen for us to play pitt, it's actually pretty remarkable.

Talk about a shtty draw. Zero confidence.

This is not a very good Pitt defensive team. Robinson is not good defensively and good guards have their way with him and their backcourt. They have no shot blockers really. If we can't beat them 1 out of 3 times then we have no business playing in the Tourney. Actually try to box out this time and don't shoot yourselves in the foot with stupid turnovers. They gave us SO many chances last game to pull ahead but we were stuck on 40 and 45 points taking bad shots and making bad turnovers while they were coming up empty on possessions.

Assuming we get an early game, I was going to take the day off. Not now. Not worth it. I almost look at it as a blessing that I have to work and can't watch the game. Pitt games are never fun and almost never worth the aggravation. Even when we actually beat them it's more of a relief and thank God that crap is over feeling than anything. (McNeil tip in, 2006 BET finals, and Ennis shot the only exceptions I can think of in 15 years).

if we lose to pitt for a third time playing the exact same way we played them previously i will be pissed. if we have to go down i at least want to see a new approach. that at least i could live with. same old same old ain't getting it done.

IMO, beating Pitt on Wednesday to (hopefully) lock-down an NCAA tournament bid, and possibly knock Pitt off the NCAA bubble, represents an opportunity for redemption/revenge for the 2 regular season losses. I would love to see JB and the boys get the last laugh on Dixon.

Is there any evidence from past ACC tournaments that the refs will call the hand checking etc. a little closer?

You got to face your demons and put them down , otherwise they will continue to rule over you.

We really shot ourselves in the foot. This draw we got in ACC tournament really sucks. We get Pitt (0-2) and then IF WE WIN...we get UNC (0-2).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom