Possible assistant coaches... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Possible assistant coaches...

Any idea how Dino would use Sowder if he already has both Monroe and McCloud? Seems like McCloud's experience is either with receivers or dbs so if Monroe retains dbs like at BG, then McCloud looks like he would be a wide receivers coach. So how does Sowder fit in? Seems like a waste of a coaching slot to have what BG had - a wide receivers coach (McCloud) and an outside wide receivers coach (Sowder). But what do I know?

Cheers,
Neil

I would expect the same set-up. Inside receivers and outside receivers. Sowder coaches outside. I don’t believe that’s uncommon in these types of offenses.

Can someone explain to me why so many here are hot to keep Acosta? I'm not saying we shouldn't, I just don't know nearly enough about our prior staff to understand why we should.

Can someone explain to me why so many here are hot to keep Acosta? I'm not saying we shouldn't, I just don't know nearly enough about our prior staff to understand why we should.

New York and New Jersey recruiting connections is the primary reason I think.

I've been on a weekend bender, so catching up to a lot of things today. Just want to say man do I love that avatar.

Recruiting purposes, plain and simple. He's been making great in-roads in NJ and with some FL programs as well. There's a 4-star, ESPN300 WR down in FL right now who I think would commit if Acosta is retained. And if Acosta is gone, so is the growing foundation in NJ.

Recruiting purposes, plain and simple. He's been making great in-roads in NJ and with some FL programs as well. There's a 4-star, ESPN300 WR down in FL right now who I think would commit if Acosta is retained. And if Acosta is gone, so is the growing foundation in NJ.

Got it. Appreciate it, was curious.

I've been on a weekend bender, so catching up to a lot of things today. Just want to say man do I love that avatar.

New fight song...

I would expect the same set-up. Inside receivers and outside receivers. Sowder coaches outside. I don’t believe that’s uncommon in these types of offenses.

I see TCU has a similar set-up while Baylor does not. So I guess we'll see.

It's my belief that a HC can get so insulated that they wind up convincing themselves that ALL of their assistant coaches walk on water. Hate it when any new coach is hired and immediately assumes all of their coaches are so good that there couldn't possibly be anyone better for 2 or 3 slots. And no, this doesn't mean they need to hire coaches who were previously there at the new gig, but sheesh. If all of your best connections are those you currently have at BG, that raises a yellow caution flag for me.

This is what appears to be happening here. So I will remain cautiously optimistic. But it's BG for crying out loud. It's not Alabama.

Cheers,
Neil

It's my belief that a HC can get so insulated that they wind up convincing themselves that ALL of their assistant coaches walk on water. Hate it when any new coach is hired and immediately assumes all of their coaches are so good that there couldn't possibly be anyone better for 2 or 3 slots. And no, this doesn't mean they need to hire coaches who were previously there at the new gig, but sheesh. If all of your best connections are those you currently have at BG, that raises a yellow caution flag for me.

This is what appears to be happening here. So I will remain cautiously optimistic. But it's BG for crying out loud. It's not Alabama.

Cheers,
Neil

I understand what you're saying. At the same time, what Babers ran at BG was a very specialized system. And he must trust that these guys can prepare players to excel in that system.

I tend to give HC's a LOT of leeway in how they construct their staffs.

Cheers,
Neil

OR not so much insulated as thinking that these are the people he rode with to his current level of success and he'll continue to roll the dice with them as opposed to picking assistants from the current program that just produced 3 and 4 win seasons.

OR not so much insulated as thinking that these are the people he rode with to his current level of success and he'll continue to roll the dice with them as opposed to picking assistants from the current program that just produced 3 and 4 win seasons.

We frankly haven't seen a HC come into Syracuse...ever. I can't complain if a HC wants to bring his guys into a new place to immediately run what he ran before.

We have frankly never been in this situation. I'm going to enjoy all these new guys and new systems. It's a laboratory and we'll see if they can continue scaling up.

Gotcha. He's brought in some good talent from there?

I will defer to jekelish on this one. It looks like he replied and he follows recruiting much closer than I do.

Cheers,
Neil

Tough to question a guy who’s been winning though. If you have 15 or more WR’s on a team, line up 4 wide and have inside/outside guys doing vastly different things then I can see a need. They say it's complex and relies on pre-snap reads not just from the QB but also the WR’s. There was a blurb about cutting off a route if a Corner opens up his hips to early. That to me is some serious ‘being on the same page stuff’.

Anyhow, how much different can it be than having a Safety coach AND Corner coach, or Defensive Ends AND Defensive Line, Or Tackles AND Guards. To me it’s just putting more focus on the meat of your offense so I’m on board with it.

I also like Sowder because he’s lived it, having played WR at Baylor. Can we have a better teacher for the WR’s in the Briles’ offense?

Defensively I was hoping he'd go outside to put together the defense. I want an aggressive attacking scheme and I think BG's defense is terrible. Was hoping for a homerun type DC, much like Marrone hiring Shafer.

Last edited:

You obviously missed the part in my post where I talk about that it doesn't even have to be coaches at the new gig.

Fuente at VT is keeping Foster and it appears as though he may keep two more from the defensive side of the house.

Now granted, hanging onto Foster and the fact that VT's defense is solid may contribute to that, but there will be a lot of assistant coaches out there without jobs. HCSS brought all of his own cronies in as well even though he never was a head coach and what did that do for us? I was hoping for some creative, out-of-the-box thinking, or at least a better go to list from Babers' previous connections to get some improvements over what he had to settle for at BG. But that doesn't appear to be the case based upon early rumors.

I remain cautiously optimistic though.

Cheers,
Neil

So sounds to me like one of two things - Lea, Adam and Acosta are all being retained for the new staff (which I love from a recruiting perspective because all 3 are good recruiters and cover important territories), or they are being given some sort of incentive to recruit until the Babers' staff is fully available to transition to Syracuse. I would assume since Dino had position groups covered up by multiple guys on both sides of the ball, some of these guys can release to come to us immediately and not coach the bowl game (like Monroe since there are two DB coaches) and some will wait until after the bowl game.

Be interested to see who is officially on board over the next few days.

Lea at LB, Acosta at TE/Recruiting Coordinator, Adam at Secondary if they do stick. You could even have Adam and Acosta as co-recruiting coordinators if you wanted.

Tough to question a guy who’s been winning though. If you have 15 or more WR’s on a team, line up 4 wide and have inside/outside guys doing vastly different things then I can see a need. They say it's complex and relies on pre-snap reads not just from the QB but also the WR’s. There was a blurb about cutting off a route if a Corner opens up his hips to early. That to me is some serious ‘being on the same page stuff’.

Anyhow, how much different can it be than having a Safety coach AND Corner coach, or Defensive Ends AND Defensive Line, Or Tackles AND Guards. To me it’s just putting more focus on the meat of your offense so I’m board with it.

I also like Sowder because he’s lived it, having played WR at Baylor. Can we have a better teacher for the WR’s in the Briles’ offense?

Defensively I was hoping he'd go outside to put together the defense. I want an aggressive attacking scheme and I think BG's defense is terrible. Was hoping for a homerun type DC, much like Marrone hiring Shafer.

I'd settle for something like the bolded part. And like I said way earlier in the thread. The final hires are not yet known. But if the football scoop is reasonably accurate, it appears Ward is likely the new DC and the other DC coaches from BG are coming as well.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Cheers,
Neil