Potential DCs? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Potential DCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO we don't have one in place, having a big name hire (which isn't likely) could only help the class.

This has been a messed up off season for us, hopefully we finish Wednesday strong and get a young energetic DC to solidify what has been a struggling defense.

I highly doubt signing day has anything to do with hiring and announcing a guy. If there is some sort of gentlemen's agreement out there then we're the only school who partakes. In terms of recruiting, I'd be more worried about our school and our recruiting than somebody else's. We just had a major junior day. We're being respectul of someobody's else class rather than having our DC get a jump on our 2021 class? Doesn't seem likely. If it is the case, I don't agree with that business model.

We haven't announced a hire yet because in all likelyhood the guy hasn't been hired yet.

I agree with you although re the bolded part, we do tend to adhere to standards sometimes that other schools manage to work around...so nothing shocks me

I agree. To me there is no reason to wait. I just think Dino doesn’t have anyone. Nobody else waits to announce a hire.
This whole DC search has been a crap show from the beginning.
Dino’s career here at Syracuse could hinge on the hire, so understand wanting to get it right. But there is no reason at all for taking this much time.

There have been entire coaching staffs hired from scratch in the same amount of time.

There is a reason to wait. If the coach wants to.

There is zero proof that he hasn't hired anyone.

Other people wait to announce a hire.

It's not really been a crap show. He went out and got the best guy to run the system he wanted to install, the guy had loose ethics and got starry eyed for the SEC.

I don't think his career hinges on this hire.

There are a lot of reasons for it to take this long.

So in short, I disagree with your entire post.

There is a reason to wait. If the coach wants to.

There is zero proof that he hasn't hired anyone.

Other people wait to announce a hire.

It's not really been a crap show. He went out and got the best guy to run the system he wanted to install, the guy had loose ethics and got starry eyed for the SEC.

I don't think his career hinges on this hire.

There are a lot of reasons for it to take this long.

So in short, I disagree with your entire post.

Thats fine, you can disagree all you want.
First, we do not currently have an official DC. That’s a fact.
Second, name one legit team that has waited to hire anyone.
Third, it has been 3 months since Ward was fired.
Fourth, when a guy you just hired bolts on you for another team you look like a loser.
Fifth, Dino is 23-26 overall and 12-20 in the ACC this hire is paramount on going in the right direction. If not, Dino will not last here much longer.

other way to say it is that the one yr the QB mostly stayed on his feet we did well.. really need that trend to go the other way. even the big boys have mostly had issues when the #1s left for injury.

If a DC has been hired, the thing that makes the most sense to me is a respect thing where the coach we hired doesn't want to leave or announce anything until after signing day. We'll know soon perhaps...

If a DC has been hired, the thing that makes the most sense to me is a respect thing where the coach we hired doesn't want to leave or announce anything until after signing day. We'll know soon perhaps...
Very rare that is done anywhere, when did coaches care about any of this stuff.

Other coaches are leaving jobs just last week...

Thats fine, you can disagree all you want.
First, we do not currently have an official DC. That’s a fact.
Second, name one legit team that has waited to hire anyone.
Third, it has been 3 months since Ward was fired.
Fourth, when a guy you just hired bolts on you for another team you look like a loser.
Fifth, Dino is 23-26 overall and 12-20 in the ACC this hire is paramount on going in the right direction. If not, Dino will not last here much longer.

We haven’t *announced* an official hire. We didn’t wait to hire someone - we tried, he signed, we announced - he didn’t come. It’s been a couple of weeks. I guess that makes us look like losers - or we tried to snag a very good DC that was in demand. That is a good thing.

Name the other HC’s who beat a top two team and had a 10 win season at Syracuse? His job is not in jeopardy. This is an important hire for the program - coordinators usually are - but it’s not get this right or you’re gone.

We haven’t *announced* an official hire. We didn’t wait to hire someone - we tried, he signed, we announced - he didn’t come. It’s been a couple of weeks. I guess that makes us look like losers - or we tried to snag a very good DC that was in demand. That is a good thing.

Name the other HC’s who beat a top two team and had a 10 win season at Syracuse? His job is not in jeopardy. This is an important hire for the program - coordinators usually are - but it’s not get this right or you’re gone.

I actually love Dino and want him to be very successful here. I guess that’s why I’m antsy for the DC hire. I know it’s very important to get this right.
He made a great hire with Arnett but him leaving us high and dry really hurts.
I guess I just assumed we would have our staff locked down by now. I’m also afraid with all the anticipation we will be let down.
We shall find out very soon I hope.

There are actually two open spots on the coaching staff that need to be filled/named. And I don't think anyone else is leaving.

Could it be someone from one of the Superbowl teams?

I actually love Dino and want him to be very successful here. I guess that’s why I’m antsy for the DC hire. I know it’s very important to get this right.
He made a great hire with Arnett but him leaving us high and dry really hurts.
I guess I just assumed we would have our staff locked down by now. I’m also afraid with all the anticipation we will be let down.
We shall find out very soon I hope.

Right - I think the most probable explanation is the one offered in this thread: We had our guy, he left. Babers had to start fresh close enough to the signing period that if the guy is currently employed at a school (a good thing). he's doing his current HC a favor by not causing a stir prior to signing day.

Could it be much worse than all that? I guess. But it's really not likely. If we're 3 weeks from now without a guy named, yeah sound the alarms.

I would also wager that even if the new candidate has been zeroed in on, ADJW will be making sure message is controlled until everything is neatly in place and there is no possibility of surprise this time around.

Still waiting for Matt Mattox to be hired as OL coach after NSD...
I am hoping for a change on the offensive line. I just feel that cavenaugh is not the answer. Unfortunately I do not see HCDB making a change. I hope I’m wrong and the O line excels next season. If not it could be another long season and a set back for the program.

Since most of our D staff is in place, if this is accurate, I can’t remember.

I wonder if this is an issue. Trying to find a DC that is willing to come in with most of his staff picked for him already. Can’t be the most appealing job opportunity.

I wonder if this is an issue. Trying to find a DC that is willing to come in with most of his staff picked for him already. Can’t be the most appealing job opportunity.
At least there are no family members on that side of the ball.

At least there are no family members on that side of the ball.

There also aren’t any glaring issues on the D side in terms of coach performance.

Those guys seem to be doing a decent job at their “day job” as position coaches, and also recruiting -
Swag Daddy in particular for that latter part.

It's not. CBs are open and LBs are open. You don't necessarily have to split Safeties and Corners but LB's definitely need a position coach. There are (by my count) still 2 open staff positions.

There also aren’t any glaring issues on the D side in terms of coach performance.

Those guys seem to be doing a decent job at their “day job” as position coaches, and also recruiting -
Swag Daddy in particular for that latter part.

My comment wasn’t meant as a slam on any of the current staff and not saying you thought that either. Just clarifying that.

I think if your a DC though you want your staff and guys you feel comfortable with, typically.

It's not. CBs are open and LBs are open. You don't necessarily have to split Safeties and Corners but LB's definitely need a position coach. There are (by my count) still 2 open staff positions.

Ok thanks. That’s what I couldn’t remember exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom