Class of 2014 - QB AJ Long | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB AJ Long

Weren't we saying we weren't supposed to do that bd of violations? Not that I've seen any school get in trouble for fans tweeting yet

Bees said anyone from here who does it will be banned
from the board.

It's the equivalent of doing 51 mph in a 50 mph zone.

Is it a violation? Yes. Is the NCAA going to enforce it? Not likely. I'm not sure it would stand up in court if challenged anyway.
Fans aren't held to the same standards as coaches...so it's not a violation, who to say the tweeter isn't a rival fan and isn't using social media to ruin things for their rival?? Some of you guys are soo out of the loop!!!

Bees said anyone from here who does it will be banned
from the board.

If so he hasn't been paying much attention .. there are a few here known to do it constantly ... is it a violation ... yup ... do i think its silly ... yup ... the whole topic is played out IMHO ... I avoid it for the most part on the off chance that something may happen but so many other fanbases do it to the point that you literally can't catch them all ... and if you did every school would be in trouble.

Back to important things, is there any news out there about AJs performance at the camp?

Back to important things, is there any news out there about AJs performance at the camp?

Haven't heard anything specifically about him at elite 11 regional but he didn't make the elite 11 finals. Dilfer was tweeting out the names of invites last night and he wasn't mentioned nor was he listed in the final pool of names for the last few spots.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Haven't heard anything specifically about him at elite 11 regional but he didn't make the elite 11 finals. Dilfer was tweeting out the names of invites last night and he wasn't mentioned nor was he listed in the final pool of names for the last few spots.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do you know if theres a list out yet?

Do you know if theres a list out yet?

only one i saw was on twitter last night.

DeShaun Watson
DeShone Kizer
Drew Barker
Manny Wilkins
Trey Weigers
Luke RuBenzer
Brad Kaaya
Stephen Collier
Jerrod Heard
Jacob Park
Keller Chryst
Will ? (UF commit)

"A.J. Long was my recruiter." said Franklin, "He basically showed me how important I was to their program and was pretty big in my commitment."

Zaire Franklin talking about AJ Long. AJ Long is worth his weight in gold.

"A.J. Long was my recruiter." said Franklin, "He basically showed me how important I was to their program and was pretty big in my commitment."

Zaire Franklin talking about AJ Long. AJ Long is worth his weight in gold.

Remember when Zach Allen used to recruit like that for us?

Fans aren't held to the same standards as coaches...so it's not a violation, who to say the tweeter isn't a rival fan and isn't using social media to ruin things for their rival?? Some of you guys are soo out of the loop!!!

The second a fan contacts a recruit via twitter or any other social media, you are defined as a booster. Boosters are actually held to higher standards than the coaching staff because under no circumstancesa are they allowed to participate in recruiting.

“As soon as you contact a recruit and try to persuade them to come to your school, you automatically become a booster because you are helping a recruit come to a specific institution,” Oklahoma State assistant athletic director of compliance Ben Dyson said. “Boosters aren’t allowed to recruit prospective student-athletes.”

So are you saying that I'm out of the loop because I know what the rules are? Ok. You really need to do some research before you open your mouth, it would be a great service to everyone on this forum that has the displeasure of having to read your posts.

That being said, I think what I posted made it pretty clear that I didn't feel the rule was enforceable in regards to tweeting and likewise probably wouldn't stand up in court, because it's unrealistic to expect schools to police fans on social media.

Man please!!! Boosters are known to give money or services to persuade a player or recruit! So I guess every fan that pleads for a recruit to attend their college of choice is a booster too then? Every fan on Twitter and Facebook is a Booster! Dumb@ss post, fans contact these receruits all the time!
That is why Ben Dyson has been employed as a Director of Compliance at a major athletics department, and you have not. Johnny can't read.

The second a fan contacts a recruit via twitter or any other social media, you are defined as a booster. Boosters are actually held to higher standards than the coaching staff because under no circumstancesa are they allowed to participate in recruiting.

“As soon as you contact a recruit and try to persuade them to come to your school, you automatically become a booster because you are helping a recruit come to a specific institution,” Oklahoma State assistant athletic director of compliance Ben Dyson said. “Boosters aren’t allowed to recruit prospective student-athletes.”

So are you saying that I'm out of the loop because I know what the rules are? Ok. You really need to do some research before you open your mouth, it would be a great service to everyone on this forum that has the displeasure of having to read your posts.

That being said, I think what I posted made it pretty clear that I didn't feel the rule was enforceable in regards to tweeting and likewise probably wouldn't stand up in court, because it's unrealistic to expect schools to police fans on social media.

Where's the violations you spoke of?? How many have been dished out? To say they can't be policed is making a mute point!

No, you don't know what the rules are. You have to go to the NCAA bylaws themselves (the primary source). You can't cite a secondary source like what Ben Dyson thinks the rules state. I have posted this several times on this site. Look it up.

Where's the violations you spoke of?? How many have been dished out? To say they can't be policed is making a mute point!

First and foremost, to your post that was deleted (shocking) that java quoted above, per the NCAA a fan or other person that uses social media to contact a recruit in an attempto to sway that recruit to attend the school that they attended or are a fan of is considered a booster. PERIOD. How you yourself define a booster doesn't matter.

I understand that you are incredibly dense but I thought I made it pretty clear that I wasn't in favor of the rule for two reasons, one, it's very difficult to enforce, and two, I don't think it's fair to expect schools to police their fans over social media. I personally don't care whether fans do it or not because when it comes down to it, I don't think this rule would stand up in court.

But Regardless, it's still a rule and a fan who tweets recruits is still defined as a booster, whether you like it or not. JUST BECAUSE I RECOGNIZE THAT IT IS A RULE DOES NOT MEAN I AM IN FAVOR OF IT. Was that clear enough?

No, you don't know what the rules are. You have to go to the NCAA bylaws themselves (the primary source). You can't cite a secondary source like what Ben Dyson thinks the rules state. I have posted this several times on this site. Look it up.

No, you don't know what the rules are.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/Resources/Role of boosters in intercollegiate athletics

"Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes." When fans are tweeting a player "Please come to my school!" that is contact for recruiting purposes.

Is the NCAA itself a good enough source for you?

Couple of other points for you.

1) You can go to pretty much any major college's website and find more or less the same verbiage about booster contact with recruits. Just a quick search and I found Michigan, Indiana, and Ok St. all had similar compliance verbiage to the NCAA site I linked above. Some say Boosters should not contact recruits directly, others say noone other than athletic staff should contact recruits directly.

2) The grayness with the rule tends to be the use of the term "Booster". I don't think anyone would deny that Boosters include anyone with a financial interest in a school's athletic program, i.e. private party donors, alumni donors, season ticket holders, organizations that hold fundraisers to benefit the athletic department, etc.

I would argue that the fact that this site just held a sitewide fundraiser for the IPF that was organized by the site would make anyone who is a member here a booster by the strict definition of booster. Therefore, none of us who are members here should be contacting recruits, via social media or otherwise, based on that definition.

It's definitely a violation (albeit a minor one) and like anything the NCAA does, it won't be enforced. They'd have to punish literally every single school and thousands of fans or so-called boosters by their definition. Like it or not, these 16-19 year old kids are attention whores and the incessant blowing up of their twitters feed into their egos. It actually does have an impact, the size of the impact varies depending on the recruit. Is it ridiculous? Yes, incredibly ridiculous. That doesn't change the fact that these meaningless and awfully written 140 character messages have an impact.

I personally won't be one of the people who tweet the kids begging them to come to Syracuse, I have better things to do with my time, but I certainly won't chastise those who do. It could actually benefit us but it also could hurt us if the NCAA decide to punish everybody (which they won't). I could definitely see the NCAA deciding to single out one school and hammer them with sanctions and probation over it. But, like most rules in the NCAA bylaws, a blind eye will be turned towards it. What I do have a problem with is when the people send angry messages to the kids because they chose an opposing school.

i find twitter useful for information. i don't get into the whole begging for people to follow me and all that, but i also have read on several occasion high profile recruits mentioning fan bases "showing love" on twitter. it adds into the fan base support that is a pretty big part of the decision factor. as i said before it shouldn't be a big deal, but to these kids it shows that the school is recruiting you has a fan base that cares so i encourage people to tweet all they want. most people have strange made up names anyways so it would be almost impossible for the ncaa or whoever to actually try and track those handles to season ticket holders, donor,s etc.

With that said Mavety seems to appreciate the Syracuse love

Chad Mavety @chadmavety55
20h
Soo much love from #OrangeNation its awesome! Cuse fans are wilddd

and AJ has been encouraing fans

Aj Long#⃣3⃣@Aj_Long3
23h
Syracuse fans players Students I need your help with recruiting . Go and blow up their followers and TL's and make them feel wanted!! #Cuse

Coach McDonald has even made a vague comment about it

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald#OrangeNation Help us keep the top kids in the GREAT STATE OF NEW YORK HOME! #homegrowntalent #ACC2013 #NYTEAM

Any chance that Poncho could be in his ear as well? They're both at Nassau and he has mentioned him in tweets.