Class of 2020 - QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I am frequently reminded, no one has film now.
You’re right … video?

I mean, we don’t need to see a kid throw it against air or how he was in high school. He’s years out and took real snaps. How’d he do against actual high level college kids?

Strange article. Was the photo of DV being sacked by a Northern Illinois player the best they could do?

Also, the article says he "is a dual-threat quarterback who also played safety at Plainedge High School, leading the team to a state title during his senior season." Uh, no - the LI schools don't participate in the NYS playoffs.

In fact, what his team did was win the 2019 Nassau vs. Suffolk playoff in Class III, over Sayville. Class III is comprised of schools with enrollments similar to NYSPHSAA Class A schools. That's a nice accomplishment, but it's not a state title.

That said, I think he'd be a good get for us.

Last edited:
Film looks good but would be great to see more against college kids
He would boost the QB and had another level of competition
Also I’ll trust Becks opinions on QBs over anything I see with my eyes or read here

Film looks good but would be great to see more against college kids
He would boost the QB and had another level of competition
Also I’ll trust Becks opinions on QBs over anything I see with my eyes or read here
If these two didn't believe they could run an offense, they wouldn't have taken the job. Biggest problem is getting receivers who can play. None of these guys would have seen the field in 2016, 2017, or 2018.

Looks like Dungey 2.0 to me, which a lot of people thought Shrader would/will be. I feel like people forget that Dungey had a solid arm though, he made some really really good plays with his arm. I believe Syracuse offered DV out of high school it just isn't on the recruiting sites for some reason. Give me a mobile, strong armed, 6'4" 235lb QB who was good enough to sign with Michigan all day. And he's from NY? And our new QB wizards like him? Yea, there's legit only upside with this. He's got 4 years, if nothing else he provides a capable backup. Upside, he is Dungey 2.0 and our improved defense and improved offense leads us to the college football playoffs and we win a natty over Ohio St when Deuce rips the ball out of Marvin Harrison Jrs hands and runs it back for a touchdown and they rename Marshall St to Deuce Drive!!!!

If these two didn't believe they could run an offense, they wouldn't have taken the job. Biggest problem is getting receivers who can play. None of these guys would have seen the field in 2016, 2017, or 2018.
Agreed, it’s scary how bad our WR Corp is
I wonder if it’s just missing on a bunch of kids or we can’t develop them
I know some of the higher ranked kids have washed out with injuries but man we used have some pretty good WR depth

What if our WR weren't the problem?

Just throwing a hypothetical out there - what if all of a sudden this year our WRs come out and perform at a higher level? Maybe even an All ACC performer ...

What would the explanation be?

I know some of the higher ranked kids have washed out with injuries but man we used have some pretty good WR depth

It seems to me that we saw some terrific plays from WRs, some of whom have the size, etc., that is required. But then they haven't built on those 2 or 3 good showings. That's kind of how I view our current group. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 of the top 5 turn into dependable receivers next year. But I don't see a 1st or 2nd target in the group. We need a couple lead guys, a big threat on the outside who is a threat in the endzone, and a slot guy who is great at YAC.

Just throwing a hypothetical out there - what if all of a sudden this year our WRs come out and perform at a higher level? Maybe even an All ACC performer ...

There are players who have measurables, but have shown no ability to be consistent. We need at least 2 or 3 receivers who can beat ACC defenders, and no-one has.
Can't go into next season hoping 2 or 3 receivers suddenly get it.

Could it be; poor coaching by the former WR coach and former OC for $100 Alex?

Last edited:
Looks like one of his teammates, an OG with some starting experience, just joined him in the portal.
Michigan also has some decent looking DB’s in the portal also!

Not worried about the WRs. Of the 10 scholarship WRs 9 are freshman or sophomores. Come fall they'll have another spring under their belt and an offseason of weight room. They just need some time and reps. Lets hope now we get a great teacher for them. There's no more smurfs. Unit is starting to look the part.

rSO Anthony Queeley 6-2 205
FR Umari Hatcher 6-3 170
FR Kendall Long 6-2 210
SR Devaughn Cooper 5-11 175
FR Trebor Pena 6-0 185
SO Isaiah Jones 6-4 205
FR Damien Alford 6-6 215
rFR Courtney Jackson 5-11 185
FR Ja'Vontae Williams 6-1 210
FR Oronde Gadsden 6-5 210

Last edited:
Not worried about the WRs. Of the 10 scholarship WRs 9 are freshman or sophomores. Come fall they'll have another spring under their belt and an offseason of weight room. They just need some time and reps. Lets hope now we get a great teacher for them. There's no more smurfs. Unit is starting to look the part.

FR Umari Hatcher 6-3 170
FR Kendall Long 6-2 210
WR Trebor Pena 6-0 185
SO Isaiah Jones 6-4 205
FR Damien Alford 6-6 215
I thought Cooper had a good close out of the season and glad he has another year
Alford showed good spots
I liked what Williams and Gadsdens tape showed
Jackson I think might be a good go-to possession guy
I still would love to see what we've done in the past and bring in a Jr/Sr that can be that guy

I thought Cooper had a good close out of the season and glad he has another year
Alford showed good spots
I liked what Williams and Gadsdens tape showed
Jackson I think might be a good go-to possession guy
I still would love to see what we've done in the past and bring in a Jr/Sr that can be that guy

i'm not saying we couldn't us a stud transfer but i believe pickings are slim and we have a qb who can't throw. tough sell.

if we can bring in a passing transfer QB that would help.

i'm not saying we couldn't us a stud transfer but i believe pickings are slim and we have a qb who can't throw. tough sell.

if we can bring in a passing transfer QB that would help.
I think the group should be fine
I don't forsee us being able to find a good passing QB this year, maybe next or hell maybe one on the rooster steps up

performance enhancers...

FR Umari Hatcher 6-3 170
FR Kendall Long 6-2 210
WR Trebor Pena 6-0 185
SO Isaiah Jones 6-4 205
FR Damien Alford 6-6 215
I’m inclined to agree with that assessment. I hope it’s true. We need it to be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom