QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

So, I posted this in the Peach Bowl charity golf thread, Rick Neuheisel stated on Full Ride this morning that Babers stated he recently "lost his Backup QB" to the portal and strongly insinuated it was due to NIL. Take that for what you believe it's worth.

From hearing coaches speak at other events pointing the finger at NIL will be their go to move.

So, I posted this in the Peach Bowl charity golf thread, Rick Neuheisel stated on Full Ride this morning that Babers stated he recently "lost his Backup QB" to the portal and strongly insinuated it was due to NIL. Take that for what you believe it's worth.
If someone wants to pay Lamson, good for them.

No other QB has proven to be better than Shrader though. Wax and Caleb are proven Acc players. Lamson is coming off a knee injury and has yet to play a meaningful snap against any opponent.
I completely agree with you. I know it's somewhat coachspeak to say that every position is open, but realistically there are some positions that are already locked down.

I’ll be curious to see where he lands and how his career progresses.

Great point. SU doesn't really care about it anyway, maybe it's time to shut it down?
Gotta call the ACC, If i am not mistaken they force schools to do them.
It’s worse than meaningless. It’s just a showcase for the portal and opposing scouts.
As for a showcase for the portal, That's ridiculous. Are the open times in practice a showcase? Weight room videos? Highlights? Could it present an opportunity for tampering? sure. but then so does every time a second string QB comes in. Should the team start to hide their backups from game action because it risks a transfer?

Just seems like a massive overreaction.

I saw an ex Cuse player post on social media that Lamson left because he was not being given a shot to compete for QB1. He (the former player) said that all positions should be open battles. While that sounds good in theory, I doubt Babers is telling Marlowe and Caleb that their jobs are in jeopardy if they don't earn them.

You still follow DeVito?

Gotta call the ACC, If i am not mistaken they force schools to do them.

As for a showcase for the portal, That's ridiculous. Are the open times in practice a showcase? Weight room videos? Highlights? Could it present an opportunity for tampering? sure. but then so does every time a second string QB comes in. Should the team start to hide their backups from game action because it risks a transfer?

Just seems like a massive overreaction.
This is what was reported. Believe it was part of the new ACC emphasis on football initiative.

Saw most of the ACC spring games. All were boring, all were just teams going through the bare minimum to check the box.

Really hope the spring game evolves into a real game against an FCS opponent. The coaches would hate it but if everyone did it, I don't think anyone would get an unfair advantage.

It would be nice to have some real football to watch instead of untimed touch football and practice routines.

I saw an ex Cuse player post on social media that Lamson left because he was not being given a shot to compete for QB1. He (the former player) said that all positions should be open battles. While that sounds good in theory, I doubt Babers is telling Marlowe and Caleb that their jobs are in jeopardy if they don't earn them.
If Lamson left because he didn’t have a shot at QB1, against Garret Shrader.. that would be crazy.

All positions "ARE" open battles. Lamson has battled this spring. Shrader was unable to compete. But clearly from everything Dino has seen previously from Shrader and what he's seen from Lamson and CDRW he has decided Shrader is still the best bet and who he is going with. Shrader is a two year starter and has played well and is the leader of the team. Lamson has zero experience and doesn't look better than Shrader to him at this time. What does he expect Dino to do at this point? Any other coach would do the same thing. A coach has to make a decision on a starting QB at this point. Moving forward you can't give 50% snaps between two QB's. You have to get your starter ready. To get your panties in a bunch about that is dumb. If Lamson truly is better than CDRW he would be able to start in 2024 and 2025 and would step in this year if any injuries occur. "IF" this is Lamson's stated reasoning it seems reactionary and short sighted.

Last edited:
All positions are open battles. Lamson has battled this spring. Shrader was unable to complete. But clearly from everything Dino has seen previously from Shrader and what he's seen from Lamson and CDRW he had decided Shrader is still the best bet and who he is going with. Shrader is a two year starter and has played well and is the leader of the team. Lamson has zero experience and doesn't look better than Shrader to him at this time. What does he expect Dino to do at this point? Any other coach would do the same thing. A coach has to make a decision on a starting QB at this point. Moving forward you can't give 50% snaps between two QB's. You have to get your starter ready. To get your panties in a bunch about that is dumb. If Lamson truly is better than CDRW he would be able to start in 2024 and 2025 and would step in this year if any injuries occur. If this is Lamson's stated reasoning it seems reactionary and short sighted.
There’s a boatload of speculation and conjecture in this thread but if Lamson is capable of being QB1 next year and he is being offered NIL elsewhere to leave, then we should be matching that. If we can’t pay to protect our 2 deep then that sorta tells you where things are going in the future. And it’s not a good direction.

Now if he got passed over by CDRW and he’s the clear #3 it’s a different conversation. NIL or not.

There’s a boatload of speculation and conjecture in this thread but if Lamson is capable of being QB1 next year and he is being offered NIL elsewhere to leave, then we should be matching that. If we can’t pay to protect our 2 deep then that sorta tells you where things are going in the future. And it’s not a good direction.

Now if he got passed over by CDRW and he’s the clear #3 it’s a different conversation. NIL or not.
I’m just guessing like everyone else, but I strongly suspect that either he was told CDRW is QB2, or was told the jury is still out on that.

If that is the way he feels, then goodbye.
He missed an entire year, and hasn't played a single game snap. Garrett when fully healthy has won games for SU.
They isn't any reason for an open competition at this point.

If that is the way he feels, then goodbye.
He missed an entire year, and hasn't played a single game snap. Garrett when fully healthy has won games for SU.
They isn't any reason for an open competition at this point.
We can say that, but that doesn't mean we didn't lose a guy that provided needed depth, if Dino did actually say he was the back up, and was a potential starter next year. We can certainly spin it that we don't people that don't want to be here, but that doesn't mean it isn't a loss.

Edit. I agree he shouldn't have expected an open competition. That's a ludricous expectation if he had it.

It’s worse than meaningless. It’s just a showcase for the portal and opposing scouts.
FCS schools would be insane to agree to move their FBS game to the spring as has been floated if the transfer rules stay this way. It is bad enough as it is right now.

FCS schools would be insane to agree to move their FBS game to the spring as has been floated if the transfer rules stay this way. It is bad enough as it is right now.
So would FBS schools unless they enjoy seeing their rosters decimated by injury in a 3 hour full contact exhibition game

Last edited:
Agree. It's bad enough without giving an actual game to scout prospects.

No other QB has proven to be better than Shrader though. Wax and Caleb are proven Acc players. Lamson is coming off a knee injury and has yet to play a meaningful snap against any opponent.
He gave us zero seasons competing for the QB job. Being injured doesn't really count he wasn't an option last year and spring is just practice.

If you want to estimate his chances at meaningful PT next year (without having a clue how good he actually is) it has to be around 70-80% Garrett had serious shoulder surgery and is susceptible to high ankle sprains. CDRW missed a lot of throws albeit against tough competition. Where the hell is he going to find a better shot at playing next year than here? We didn't recruit a QB this class. Ridiculous decision I don't wish him any ill will off the field but come on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom