Class of 2016 - QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED

I don't have any respect for someone that treats people like a commodities.
You probably don't want to start really diving into the world of recruiting, then, because you'll learn that's basically how these kids are treated at least half the time. It's eye opening to see how they're viewed.

You probably don't want to start really diving into the world of recruiting, then, because you'll learn that's basically how these kids are treated at least half the time. It's eye opening to see how they're viewed.
Yep. And it's why I vociferously defend Coach Shafer and his staff. No one at Syracuse ever treated any recruit I know of as an object.

You're probably right. I guess at least until the LOI is signed the athlete has some power. Once it's signed though it should be binding on both sides for 4 years unless there is an indiscretion.

You're probably right. I guess at least until the LOI is signed the athlete has some power. Once it's signed though it should be binding on both sides for 4 years unless there is an indiscretion.
IIRC, the 4 year commitment recently became (or will shortly become) operational in the P5 conferences.

I can't recall where I saw it, but I read one thing about Rex yesterday where it said that, apparently, when Urban Meyer offered him he told him that he reminded him of a young Alex Smith.
Pretty awesome, this is Urbans calling card though, every time he offers a kid it seems like its leaked that he threw out a star player name he coached as a comparison to the recruit.

W
Pretty awesome, this is Urbans calling card though, every time he offers a kid it seems like its leaked that he threw out a star player name he coached as a comparison to the recruit.
WE do the same no biggie...but now more importantly you don't down talk a recruit on blogs just because schools are recruiting them...everyone has dreams.
My self I keep the thoughts positive on all kids because in the end there is always a place for them to go and be happy

W
WE do the same no biggie...but now more importantly you don't down talk a recruit on blogs just because schools are recruiting them...everyone has dreams.
My self I keep the thoughts positive on all kids because in the end there is always a place for them to go and be happy
Yep. Being positive is a big thing and makes a large impact, even on message boards. I know for a fact that several recruits have read this board and part of their appreciation for Syracuse is that, for the most part, SU fans tend to be positive and supportive in comparison to other fans. I know, that sounds crazy. But it's a big part of why I think it's important to stay positive. Recruits pay attention, and fans play a serious role in the recruitment. No one wants to play for negative people.

I swear I only checked because someone mentioned Gary Patterson is now following Monica Culpepper, so I went to look at who she follows again. Make it the last SIXTEEN people she follows all having SU connections, as she just started following Joe Adam.

No Gary Patterson on there.
my wifes name is Monica, and she like SU Football also, therefore with my logic this kid is going to commit!

I swear I only checked because someone mentioned Gary Patterson is now following Monica Culpepper, so I went to look at who she follows again. Make it the last SIXTEEN people she follows all having SU connections, as she just started following Joe Adam.

No Gary Patterson on there.

She immediately started following me right after I started following her. That is very telling as I am very important

Didn't Meyer's backup win the National Championship last year? And was a "crappy" 3 star out of high school =D?

Meyer's third string won the NC...the backup's backup.

Thanks.

Had a friend of mine who, back in the late 70s - early 80s played OL for Illinois State. Blew his knee out as a junior. That spring, the HC at the time told him to pack his !@#$ and go because he didn't have room on his roster for "cripples". He finished his senior year using student loans.

Sometimes, I got the feeling that Steven was a "commodity", or a "product", in the eyes of some.

While the way it was handled was disgusting, I dont have a problem with schools pulling schollies from kids who can't play and/or arent living up to expectations. Merit aid (essentially what an athletic scholarship is) is provided to students whose abilities are thought to enhance the greater college community (e.g. academic, artistic, service, athletic excellence). If a student's scholly is based on the ability to ball, they better be able to ball. Lot's of academic scholarships are tied to maintaining a certain GPA.

Shrmdougluvr said:
While the way it was handled was disgusting, I dont have a problem with schools pulling schollies from kids who can't play and/or arent living up to expectations. Merit aid (essentially what an athletic scholarship is) is provided to students whose abilities are thought to enhance the greater college community (e.g. academic, artistic, service, athletic excellence). If a student's scholly is based on the ability to ball, they better be able to ball. Lot's of academic scholarships are tied to maintaining a certain GPA.

Injuries are out of your control. Something out of your control shouldn't count.

Injuries are out of your control. Something out of your control shouldn't count.
Especially if the injury is done doing the very thing that you got the scholarship for. If the kid was injured doing something that put his body at risk, outside of the sport, then I think it should be at the coaches discretion whether he wants to revoke the scholarship or not.

Difference with athletics is there are a ton of subjective factors leading to the evaluation...Although there may be some variables in the grades a math student on scholarship may have, it is a lot less likely that you will have nefarious reasons for a player not playing or living up to potential...injuries, coach favoritism, the desire to open scholarships because the next big thing is on the way, etc.

SUOrange44

He was their starting right tackle.

Especially if the injury is done doing the very thing that you got the scholarship for. If the kid was injured doing something that put his body at risk, outside of the sport, then I think it should be at the coaches discretion whether he wants to revoke the scholarship or not.

It's unfair, but I am still okay with it. If the kid wasn't willing to put his body at risk, he wouldnt have the 60k a year scholly or the platform to showcase his abilities to future employers (i.e., the NFL). I guess this makes it even more important for recruits to choose a school based on a litany of factors. If a coach has a history of cutting bait with kids, to me, that would make him less desirable to play for.

This goes back to something being presented to the NCAA now through the unionization bid - health care (maybe even disability insurance?). If I'm a recruit, a school that offers such a benefit would look very enticing. While I oppose the unionization of collegiate athletics, I have no issue with schools being able to offer such a benefit if they so desire.

Last edited:
tumblr_m5zwfyWCQ81qaeptio4_500.gif