RB Jarveon Howard transferring to Alcorn St | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

RB Jarveon Howard transferring to Alcorn St

Allen coming out #2 on the depth chart was shocking to me because Price looked really good and built like a truck as you said. From what I saw Saturday night, Allen appears to me to be really really quick, not the type of quicks I've seen in a while. Twitch quick. I think we'll see him break off some runs this year.

Probably generous listing him at 195 but I couldn't say for sure. He moved the pile a little. He appears to have an 'it' quality though.

Didn't year anything about Price in camp...I wondered if he was nursing any injuries. Bbeats me.

Just speculating here -- I wonder if Allen being here to participate in Spring ball gave him a "readiness" advantage with the offensive system, compared to Price who arrived this summer and is learning as he goes.

Just speculating here -- I wonder if Allen being here to participate in Spring ball gave him a "readiness" advantage with the offensive system, compared to Price who arrived this summer and is learning as he goes.

Pretty sure Price was here in the spring too right? My recollection is that Tucker didn't play, so Price and Allen split the duties.

Pretty sure Price was here in the spring too right? My recollection is that Tucker didn't play, so Price and Allen split the duties.
Yep.

“Redshirt sophomore running back Juwaun Price was the game's leading rusher with 64 yards on six carries. Freshman LeQuint Allen also made his mark on the ground game with a 41-yard touchdown run.”

It's all about blocking/blitz pickup and receiving...due to being here this spring Allen is ahead of price.

Agree. But, this one is a bit of a head scratcher to me. Allen looked unready, physically to play ACC ball. Price on the other hand, is built like a Peterbilt truck.
I think if the #1 wasn't a workhorse like Tucker there'd be more concern about Allen's size.

I think he's going to be fine. Short of blow out situations the second line RBs aren't going to get a lot of run, and at that point, it doesn't matter anyway.

Howard was a freak -- he was a terrific "pull" for us who could have been a starter.

I don't blame him for sitting out the COVID year, lots of players did, and the world was crazy then. But that gave true frosh Tucker a chance to start -- and he was just better. Complete back.

I feel like Howard and the kid from Oklahoma [Adams] both got "punished" to an extent by the staff for sitting out. So I don't blame him for transferring.

In the end, it worked out for both parties. Tucker is a stud, and Howard went somewhere where he can start and thrive.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you. - Satchel Paige

I would be shocked if Price doesn't have a little regret from transferring from the starting RB job to 3rd stringer

He knew he would NOT be RB1 here this season.
Said as much in his interviews when he verballed here.

But - I am sure he thought he was a shoo-in for RB2, with the inside line at RB1 for next year,
after Tucker wins the Heisman, leads us to an undefeated Natty, and is drafted in the 1st round.

It's a long season - and he still may emerge as RB2.
Movin on up the depth chart could be a fumble or an owie away.

"Ball security is job security"
-Dino Babers

I think if the #1 wasn't a workhorse like Tucker there'd be more concern about Allen's size.

I think he's going to be fine. Short of blow out situations the second line RBs aren't going to get a lot of run, and at that point, it doesn't matter anyway.

That assumes Tucker stays healthy.

That assumes Tucker stays healthy.
Well, yeah.

The depth chart assumes health and availability.

Except for last year when Dino kept guys on it that weren't playing.

:shrugs:

It's all about blocking/blitz pickup and receiving...due to being here this spring Allen is ahead of price.
Exactly, There are multiple reasons why someone plays ahead of another. We have to look beyond the physical traits. Have to take into account understanding of the whole scheme and how the RB effect other players on each play.

Well, yeah.

The depth chart assumes health and availability.

Except for last year when Dino kept guys on it that weren't playing.

:shrugs:

The depth chart tells who the next man up is when we can't make that assumption.

Exactly, There are multiple reasons why someone plays ahead of another. We have to look beyond the physical traits. Have to take into account understanding of the whole scheme and how the RB effect other players on each play.
Plus, I get the feeling based on some of the comments made by his teammates that they recognize he's got some talent, and that's more evident on the field than his youth.

The depth chart tells who the next man up is when we can't make that assumption.
I disagree, at least that what you're proposing is a complete definition of what a depth chart accomplishes.

The depth chart also defines rotation of players, which matters more at some positions than others. Sometimes a guy gets a break or gets some time and snaps to avoid wear and tear. That's not the same as "next man up" due to injury. Sometimes the backup brings a skill set that can be deployed a little bit differently and you don't necessarily want to use that all the time, but it has value when used selectively. Sometimes a depth chart acknowledges effort and growth of a player moreso than indicates likelihood of playing time.

The announcer marveled that Steve Linton was 3rd on the depth chart (we know that's not the full story, but go with it), yet seeing snaps and making plays. Linton wasn't out there because the first and second string ends all got injured.

I disagree, at least that what you're proposing is a complete definition of what a depth chart accomplishes.

The depth chart also defines rotation of players, which matters more at some positions than others. Sometimes a guy gets a break or gets some time and snaps to avoid wear and tear. That's not the same as "next man up" due to injury. Sometimes the backup brings a skill set that can be deployed a little bit differently and you don't necessarily want to use that all the time, but it has value when used selectively. Sometimes a depth chart acknowledges effort and growth of a player moreso than indicates likelihood of playing time.

The announcer marveled that Steve Linton was 3rd on the depth chart (we know that's not the full story, but go with it), yet seeing snaps and making plays. Linton wasn't out there because the first and second string ends all got injured.

Also, re: Linton -

He was "3rd on the depth chart" likely for a combo of 2 reasons:
  • he was working back from an injury when the original depth chart came out
  • he's somewhat of a situational player, due to his size - mostly passing downs
I don't care if he's listed 14th on the depth chart, behind the backup backup waterboy.
Dude is clearly a BALLER.

Nonetheless, Tucker was 5th string to begin his freshman year and rather quickly became the #1 guy and then he was down in the second quarter of the first game. I think it matters who is behind him, just as it does with Shrader at QB even though there isn't a rotation at those positions.

I would be shocked if Price doesn't have a little regret from transferring from the starting RB job to 3rd stringer
Even Juwaun doesn't get 4-6 carries today, I'd be surprised. Hoping Tuck is done about mid way through the 3rd quarter, then it will be between he and Allen, who does the most with their touches and protects the ball going into next week could flip things around.

Great story, you really never know what's going on in a kid's life. And it's one of the things I always think about with recruits from far away, family isn't always that easy to leave behind. Especially if tragedy strikes.

Good on Dino, encouraging him to come back and get his degree.

Yep. Unlike many insinuated in the past, Jarveon did not “bail”

I wish him absolutely nothing but success. There’s different sides to the story on his opt out and the sideline hysteria after Shrader ran in the TD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom