Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what develops later, he would be the biggest recruit we've landed on paper since Johnnie Morant. And that's saying something. And I love the fact that he would be able to recruit all year to help this team...would really help towards making this 2016 class a program changing class.

Your gut feeling Cali where do you think he ends up?

My gut and heart says Syracuse. You have to know the kid to understand why Syracuse has a great shot. He's not your typical high profile recruit. He's humble and level headed. He has a great support group around him. His family is the nicest people you will me.

CaliLuv808 said:
My gut and heart says Syracuse. You have to know the kid to understand why Syracuse has a great shot. He's not your typical high profile recruit. He's humble and level headed. He has a great support group around him. His family is the nicest people you will me.

Well thats GREAT to hear. And thank you!

I have read a lot about Robert and I haven't heard one player coach teacher... No one say anything except he is a fine person off the field. Great student and respectful. I would love for my son to be teammates with him. He sounds like the type of kid when your son goes to hang out with him you know there won't be any trouble

You don't have to answer if you don't want, but do you have any idea who he would try to bring with him?

You tease!

He sounds a lot like Ernie, a very unassuming person who left us way too soon, a wonderful player to carry on the legacy of *44*.

I'm going to make a prediction on Robert Washington.

Washington will shatter the record for most thread views in the football recruiting forum. He is currently just under 65k with a whole year to go. Ebo and his 200k better watch out. Of course he would need to commit to Syracuse to do so :eat popcorn:

Ahhh. Yeah. So I'm going to assume the other "ageist" post you are referring to was my "youth is wasted on the wrong people" comment.

It's a quote from "it's a wonderful life". It's a movie whose main character's name is George Bailey. And I was commenting in a thread about reporter Stephen Bailey. See what I did there?

Anyhoo...I stand by my original comment in both threads. Bailey made a youthful mistake leading off the presser with the question. We've all made mistakes because of inexperience. Not a big deal.

And many of us geezers are a bit put off by referring to a running back as a once in a lifetime recruit. We've seen players come through this program who are in the nfl hall of fame. Just sayin..
First, I have the upmost respect for you and the information you bring to the board that none of us has access to. Other than the two posts I commented on above (and yes, you guessed the other correctly), I've never had a direct problem with you or any of your posts. Disclaimer over.

I know the movie well and actually knew where the quote was from when I read it. Do I think Stephen Bailey made a dumb mistake? Absolutely. May it be attributed to youth? Possibly. It also could be a number of things as previously mentioned.. Lack of exposure to the staff is likely as well. Truthfully, I've never understood Marrone's or Shafer's reluctance to keep the Post-Standard writers close. You throw them an anonymous nugget every so often that leads to a big story, you win them over and will have more clout with them if you want to keep a story on the hush, etc. Not to mention, a coaching staff friendly with the local paper could really go a long way towards rebuilding local interest in the team. Not saying anything here you probably don't already know.

Regarding Robert Washington, I agree that maybe he's not a once in a lifetime recruit. Today's sports landscape changes with the wind.

The issue I took with both your posts is the qualifier you put on it, age. I could very easily make an argument that in both cases used, age has absolutely zero to do with the discussion. I've seen the same argument posted on this site many times and also from posters I consider to be of higher quality. The common misconception in a majority of those comments is that age in those instances is meant as an inhibitor of understanding the greater concept being discussed. What I mean is.. The analogy that because I wasn't alive or am too young to remember a Jim Brown/Ernie Davis/Floyd Little at Syracuse does not exactly mean that I don't understand what they did for Syracuse University, nor what they meant in a greater capacity to the sport in general. Quite the contrary actually. The beauty of being youthful in today's world versus being youthful even 20-30 years ago is that the prior generation laid the foundation for my generation to actually learn and glean experience through the accessibility of information. 30 years ago, you had to frequent a public library or bookstore to get a new book. Today, I can get buy/download a new book as I'm typing this out. I'd be willing to bet that the ability to access much more information at an even faster rate has in all actuality significantly accelerated the learning capabilities for the youth of today. Long rant, I know, but overall I would hypothesize that the significant gap 20-30 years ago in the value of experience has been significantly narrowed by the ability of youth to obtain knowledge faster. Now, not all youth take advantage and well, that's on them. But I can attest that I've been on a fast track most of my career and at 33, I'm much further along than I likely would have been 20-30 years ago at the same age.

Just a few examples to combat this ageism that is constantly displayed around here:
  • MLB - Theo Epstein - Became GM of the Red Sox at 28 years old and won a World Series as GM at 30. He did so by taking a different approach. Experience played no factor. Today, there are 6 MLB GM's under the age of 40. MLB has embraced the youth movement.
  • NFL - Howie Roseman - Became the Eagles GM in 2010. He's the only current NFL GM under 40, but is praised for his approach to handling the salary cap.
  • S&P 500 CEO's - The average age of CEO's has steadily declined from 59 (25 years ago) to around 52 now. In 10 years it will likely hover somewhere around the 49-50 mark.

I gotta be honest here. I am psyched about the possibility of RW. Its unreal some of the negativity in this thread, the moaning and groaning over how big of a recruit some define RW as and the general doubting of folks willing to share their knowledge due to a relationship with the athlete. Be it arrogance or just having a negative mindset it is really awful to see it on a thread that honestly should be about what could be and how we as a fanbase can continue to reach out to the school to show them we want to see the legend restored and a fine young man like RW to have the opportunity to take that on. Some of you need to take a breath and chill while just enjoying the suspense and the moment. Lets show this kid what we are all about not turn this into a bickering fest. Come on down RW!! LGO Cuse!

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious here. There are a couple of posters on some UNC boards that also know the Washington family personally, and they all say UNC is in very good shape with RW.

UNC Blue said:
Not trying to pick a fight, just curious here. There are a couple of posters on some UNC boards that also know the Washington family personally, and they all say UNC is in very good shape with RW.

No worries - you just have to read his Twitter feed to see that he likes Syracuse, UNC, and OSU quite a bit.

We'll see how it goes. Looks like our football program has escaped the NCAA knife unharmed. How are you guys feeling?

First, I have the upmost respect for you and the information you bring to the board that none of us has access to. Other than the two posts I commented on above (and yes, you guessed the other correctly), I've never had a direct problem with you or any of your posts. Disclaimer over.

I know the movie well and actually knew where the quote was from when I read it. Do I think Stephen Bailey made a dumb mistake? Absolutely. May it be attributed to youth? Possibly. It also could be a number of things as previously mentioned.. Lack of exposure to the staff is likely as well. Truthfully, I've never understood Marrone's or Shafer's reluctance to keep the Post-Standard writers close. You throw them an anonymous nugget every so often that leads to a big story, you win them over and will have more clout with them if you want to keep a story on the hush, etc. Not to mention, a coaching staff friendly with the local paper could really go a long way towards rebuilding local interest in the team. Not saying anything here you probably don't already know.

Regarding Robert Washington, I agree that maybe he's not a once in a lifetime recruit. Today's sports landscape changes with the wind.

The issue I took with both your posts is the qualifier you put on it, age. I could very easily make an argument that in both cases used, age has absolutely zero to do with the discussion. I've seen the same argument posted on this site many times and also from posters I consider to be of higher quality. The common misconception in a majority of those comments is that age in those instances is meant as an inhibitor of understanding the greater concept being discussed. What I mean is.. The analogy that because I wasn't alive or am too young to remember a Jim Brown/Ernie Davis/Floyd Little at Syracuse does not exactly mean that I don't understand what they did for Syracuse University, nor what they meant in a greater capacity to the sport in general. Quite the contrary actually. The beauty of being youthful in today's world versus being youthful even 20-30 years ago is that the prior generation laid the foundation for my generation to actually learn and glean experience through the accessibility of information. 30 years ago, you had to frequent a public library or bookstore to get a new book. Today, I can get buy/download a new book as I'm typing this out. I'd be willing to bet that the ability to access much more information at an even faster rate has in all actuality significantly accelerated the learning capabilities for the youth of today. Long rant, I know, but overall I would hypothesize that the significant gap 20-30 years ago in the value of experience has been significantly narrowed by the ability of youth to obtain knowledge faster. Now, not all youth take advantage and well, that's on them. But I can attest that I've been on a fast track most of my career and at 33, I'm much further along than I likely would have been 20-30 years ago at the same age.

Just a few examples to combat this ageism that is constantly displayed around here:
  • MLB - Theo Epstein - Became GM of the Red Sox at 28 years old and won a World Series as GM at 30. He did so by taking a different approach. Experience played no factor. Today, there are 6 MLB GM's under the age of 40. MLB has embraced the youth movement.
  • NFL - Howie Roseman - Became the Eagles GM in 2010. He's the only current NFL GM under 40, but is praised for his approach to handling the salary cap.
  • S&P 500 CEO's - The average age of CEO's has steadily declined from 59 (25 years ago) to around 52 now. In 10 years it will likely hover somewhere around the 49-50 mark.

You want to lecture people, you might want to get some basic facts right. The paper created this issue by getting "younger".

GoSU96 said:
You want to lecture people, you might want to get some basic facts right. The paper created this issue by getting "younger".
my last post on that topic here. Happy to take offline... But if you want to toss a jab, make sure your reading comprehension is turned on.

my last post on that topic here. Happy to take offline... But if you want to toss a jab, make sure your reading comprehension is turned on.

My comprehension is fine. You are the one that made the comment about failing to keep the PS reporters close.

That's 180 from reality, at least until they paper went away and the legacy whatever it is hired a bunch of 20 somethings to handle the football beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom