Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am curious to hear what people will think if they take down 44, offer it to Washington and he decides to go elsewhere.
I think restoring 44 is a good thing regardless of his getting it. His getting the number is just a prime example of why it should be available for the offering. Its a good recruiting tool and the legend should grow..him coming and wearing it is just the icing

I think restoring 44 is a good thing regardless of his getting it. His getting the number is just a prime example of why it should be available for the offering. Its a good recruiting tool and the legend should grow..him coming and wearing it is just the icing
For starters, I don't believe they ever made it public that they were offering 44. I think in any and all cases, it was the prospect that leaked that. I believe in many late cases, the athlete actually requested it. I think this was the case with Konrad and Terry Richardson, although I a confident there was a mutual agreement/understanding going into those situations, similar to RW. As for the above, and Bam's point, I think if RW doesn't come, but they intend to use it as a recruiting tool, they should pull it down prior to anyone else being offered the number. I think this takes weight off the recruit's shoulders. As it is, having that number will bring a high level of scrutiny and expectation. Being the guy they took it down for, would bring an extra level of expectation. If RW wants that, great, but if not, take it down and give it to nobody for a year, so that pressure is a little less for the next offeree.

Just to play devil's advocate (and for the record I am for #Restore44 , and giving to RW), say we unretire #44, offer it to Washington, and he commits. That's great, and would have served it's purpose, but how do you think this will go over in the locker room? In a perfect world the other running backs would understand the big picture, and how this would have a positive effect on the program, but we know these are 18-23 year old kids, who have all been highly recruited themselves. You would have 5th year Seniors like George Morris and Devante McFarlane, who will at that point be guys who paid their dues, scratching and clawing their way up the depth chart. Then you have Dontae Strickland, who was heavily recruited himself, and has publicly said he'd like to wear #44. Now anybody who has played college sports can tell you the locker room really isn't the easiest place for Freshman. I'm sure some places are worse then others, but there's a lot of stuff you have to put up with as a rookie. You have to earn respect basically from day 1. But now we will have a star recruit coming in with all the attention, as well as being handed the honored #44, without even taking a snap.

Who knows, maybe Morris, or McFarlane wouldn't even want the number, but the question needs to be asked what kind of effect this would have in the locker room.

Just to play devil's advocate (and for the record I am for #Restore44 , and giving to RW), say we unretire #44, offer it to Washington, and he commits. That's great, and would have served it's purpose, but how do you think this will go over in the locker room? In a perfect world the other running backs would understand the big picture, and how this would have a positive effect on the program, but we know these are 18-23 year old kids, who have all been highly recruited themselves. You would have 5th year Seniors like George Morris and Devante McFarlane, who will at that point be guys who paid their dues, scratching and clawing their way up the depth chart. Then you have Dontae Strickland, who was heavily recruited himself, and has publicly said he'd like to wear #44. Now anybody who has played college sports can tell you the locker room really isn't the easiest place for Freshman. I'm sure some places are worse then others, but there's a lot of stuff you have to put up with as a rookie. You have to earn respect basically from day 1. But now we will have a star recruit coming in with all the attention, as well as being handed the honored #44, without even taking a snap.

Who knows, maybe Morris, or McFarlane wouldn't even want the number, but the question needs to be asked what kind of effect this would have in the locker room.

You get around underclassmen by explaining to them what the tradition is and that the decision has been made to restore the tradition. The tradition isn't to give it to a deserving upperclassman - it's to use it as a recruiting tool and give it to a highly valued recruit. It's a delicate balance but this is where the leadership/management skills of Shafer and his staff come in. I think if you have an atmosphere where players are judged based on their work ethic and production, like we do, and not the number on their back or their recruiting pedigree, then it makes it that much easier to sell.

I have to imagine they won't make it public until AFTER he commits. They might offer it to him behind the scenes, and then if he commits, they will make the decision to restore 44 public.

I wouldn't make it public until after he signs, but I would pull it down from the rafters and announce that the tradition will be restored in the coming years. Gives you an out if something happens before signing day.

I think if the kid shows out and is a leader - it just won't matter. It's also on the coaches to manage that. I'd expect them to use it as a tool to light a fire and get the most out of the unit. I'd also expect coaches to not play a kid, even if he's #44 - if there are guys who are better at that moment.

Finally - I don't think anyone is ego-less - but RW seems like a guy everyone respects and likes. I think the team would embrace that.

I would say it's no different from if they recruit the kid without the 44 and make him a starter. What if Strickland comes in next year and out performs the upper classman? You could just as easy have a problem with morale if that happened. I'm sure the year they offered it to Floyd little there were running backs in the roster that could be in the same position. You tell them it's being brought back as a recruiting tool and the tradition of giving it to an incoming recruit will be how it's handled.

Here's just a general thought. I don't follow FB recruiting like I do hoops, but there is always a general school of thought when looking at a kids legit list in hoops.

Beware the outlier.

If there's a school that just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the list - that just doesn't seem on par with the rest- it's the team to be most afraid of if you're a big school.

The reason is that the kid isn't dumb...telling him that you're school "will win more, has won more etc" isn't going to be effective, and may turn him off more. He already knows that, but that particular school is there for a reason, and many times it's not w-l driven.

That school may offer something the others just don't have, and can't have.

It's hard to shake that school from the list. Interesting situation.

Jake said:
Here's just a general thought. I don't follow FB recruiting like I do hoops, but there is always a general school of thought when looking at a kids legit list in hoops. Beware the outlier. If there's a school that just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the list - that just doesn't seem on par with the rest- it's the team to be most afraid of if you're a big school. The reason is that the kid isn't dumb...telling him that you're school "will win more, has won more etc" isn't going to be effective, and may turn him off more. He already knows that, but that particular school is there for a reason, and many times it's not w-l driven. That school may offer something the others just don't have, and can't have. It's hard to shake that school from the list. Interesting situation.
I agree 100% . My gut says we are the favorites just because of what caliluv808 says.

Here's just a general thought. I don't follow FB recruiting like I do hoops, but there is always a general school of thought when looking at a kids legit list in hoops.

Beware the outlier.

If there's a school that just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the list - that just doesn't seem on par with the rest- it's the team to be most afraid of if you're a big school.

The reason is that the kid isn't dumb...telling him that you're school "will win more, has won more etc" isn't going to be effective, and may turn him off more. He already knows that, but that particular school is there for a reason, and many times it's not w-l driven.

That school may offer something the others just don't have, and can't have.

It's hard to shake that school from the list. Interesting situation.

And in this interesting situation, the outlier is Syracuse of course.

Question is, how many times does the outlier win out? 5 times out of 10? Less? More?

My strict guess is a little less than 5... which is enough to get my hopes up, but also not enough for me, personally, to expect anything other than getting let down.

F Everything else. Get 44 available, offer RW and pray to god he comes with Haskins tailing.

The implication of landing this kid far outweigh the negatives of swinging and missing.

I would say it's no different from if they recruit the kid without the 44 and make him a starter. What if Strickland comes in next year and out performs the upper classman? You could just as easy have a problem with morale if that happened. I'm sure the year they offered it to Floyd little there were running backs in the roster that could be in the same position. You tell them it's being brought back as a recruiting tool and the tradition of giving it to an incoming recruit will be how it's handled.
On the off chance you aren't aware - Floyd Little and Larry Csonka were in the same backfield. It was pretty amazing.

F Everything else. Get 44 available, offer RW and pray to god he comes with Haskins tailing.

The implication of landing this kid far outweigh the negatives of swinging and missing.
I would love Haskins to be one of the kids he would be able to recruit. But i think he is going to maryland no matter what. Its ok though RW has plenty of other kids that he can recruit.

On the off chance you aren't aware - Floyd Little and Larry Csonka were in the same backfield. It was pretty amazing.

Didn't they get recruited the same year? I was thinking more of the turmoil it would cause with upperclassmen.

Not sure but I think Little was a year ahead. I really was only making the point of what an unbelievable backfield that was. Two future NFL Hall of Famers.

And we had an H back then too. Tom Coughlin should not be forgotten. That has the very real potential to be the only full college backfield in the pro football HOF.

Moose Johnson, and Robert Drummond were here as starters, back when Michael Owens came and was given the number 44, worked out well then. This Staff, and Players seem to understand the principle," the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one."

1) Maybe the other guys didn't want 44. Yes it may be a draw for some but others may want the number they have always worn.
2) Good message: Guys, he may have been given 44, but he needs to earn his playing time, he will not be anointed the starter just because he was given the number.
3) May push others harder so that they stay above Washington on the depth chart.

I think the only way this causes a divided locker room is if he is bad and made the starter just because he is given the number. If he comes in as a freshman and plays better than all other RBs and is named starter, there may be some upset RBs due to reduced playing time but the team as a whole should be happy when they win more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom