Recruiting 2022-2024 | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2022-2024

hop's new volunteer assistant is the director of the crabs club program. that may help a bit with the MIAA. but the recent emphasis has been on canada and now, with LI native john crawley in the fold, they should be competitive on the island too and their most recent commit is indicative of that. but they're never going back to the MIAA dominance of old

petro will help cuse with the occasional MIAA guy (like flipping hottle of calvert hall, where former petro player joel tinney is an assistant) but with gait technically in charge the bigger emphasis is going to be canada and guys with box skills. and of course petro has more connections on the island than anyone. ultimately i dont see either hop or cuse seriously competing with maryland, unc, navy, or uva for the top MIAA kids, at least right now. these things tend to change a bit over time

Syracuse did bring in Dwan this year from Loyola. I’m not expecting them to grab five stars out of Maryland every year but it did happen once. Dom Petro did

Over the past three recruiting cycles SU has three players from MIAA schools coming in or committed, Hopkins only has two. Obviously it’s a small sample size. And Hopkins is bringing in two CNY kids over the same period and SU is only bringing in one. Kind of crazy that both programs seem to have abandoned their home territories. Syracuse has more justification to do so obviously given the local talent drain.

Portal gonna be busy down at UVA.
I’m thinking we may see some of these Top 10 players redshirt like Shellenberger did, which was basically unheard of prior. Kids want to play for Lars & Lax is different than football & hoops in that kids value graduate degrees over turning pro with eligibility on the table.

I also recently glanced at Colsey’s IG & saw that he’s an STX sponsored athlete. With us seemingly switching to Gait Lax, I’m not sure how that’d work, though STX still lists us as a sponsored school on their website.

Last edited:
Syracuse did bring in Dwan this year from Loyola. I’m not expecting them to grab five stars out of Maryland every year but it did happen once. Dom Petro did

Over the past three recruiting cycles SU has three players from MIAA schools coming in or committed, Hopkins only has two. Obviously it’s a small sample size. And Hopkins is bringing in two CNY kids over the same period and SU is only bringing in one. Kind of crazy that both programs seem to have abandoned their home territories. Syracuse has more justification to do so obviously given the local talent drain.

dwan was a bill dwan connection, not an miaa connection. dwan was going wherever petro was coaching

last three cycles - if that counts '21 then hop and cuse both have 4 but we're splitting hairs. yes, a very small sample size. point is neither school are really competing with maryland (ford, larkin) or uva (sunderland, millon) for the TOP miaa kids. and navy's mcdonogh pipeline is only getting stronger

still lots of miaa talent left in laake, collier, firlie, etc. so curious where they end up

dwan was a bill dwan connection, not an miaa connection. dwan was going wherever petro was coaching

last three cycles - if that counts '21 then hop and cuse both have 4 but we're splitting hairs. yes, a very small sample size. point is neither school are really competing with maryland (ford, larkin) or uva (sunderland, millon) for the TOP miaa kids. and navy's mcdonogh pipeline is only getting stronger

still lots of miaa talent left in laake, collier, firlie, etc. so curious where they end up

Dwan committed to Syracuse in 2020. Petro wasn’t hired till after the 2021 season.

Lars is RAKING

Browne is a top 5 player in the class imo

UVAs crushing it right now but hard to see how all these guys stay committed. At some point there gonna glance at the roster and recruiting class and realize theres only six spots.
Very true.. I think Lars is the Calipari of lacrosse

BJORN is banned from making predictions

in all seriousness, i heard it was UVA as the very heavy favorite the entire time, with some minor consideration toward UNC but that Cuse was never really in the picture
Never said it was a good feeling

UVAs crushing it right now but hard to see how all these guys stay committed. At some point there gonna glance at the roster and recruiting class and realize theres only six spots.
Great program & education...Their roster is insane now and is trending to an absurd level of talent. Also, UVA out of state tuition is ridiculous, so they must be getting very creative with aid. Will the well run dry with aid? Credit to them.

Last edited:
What a run for UVA. Here's how their attack recruiting looks from the IL.com commitment lists. (not adjusted for transfers or position changes)

5 Stars​
4 Stars​
<4 Stars​
2019​
1​
0​
1​
2020​
0​
3​
0​
2021​
1​
2​
0​
2022​
1​
1​
0​
2023​
1​
1​
1​
2024​
3​
0​
0​

UVAs crushing it right now but hard to see how all these guys stay committed. At some point there gonna glance at the roster and recruiting class and realize theres only six spots
UVA has shown a flexibility to move pieces around to get their best offensive players on the field on game day. Moore, Laviano, Herring, Cormier, Shellenberger, Bertrand, Dixon, and Schutz have all played the midfield/attackman hybrid role at some point in their careers. Shellenberger was a #1 recruit, he was ok playing midfield. Schutz was a #1 recruit, he ok fine playing midfield. Seems like they get the buy in you need to make the strategy work.

Some will play attack. Some will be moved to middie. Some won't play much, or at least less than they were hoping (but UVA is hardly the only place where that happens). A couple may end up transferring. I don't see it as a big deal really. What are the Hoos supposed to do, stop trying to get good recruits? It's one thing to bring in too many transfers to play over homegrown recruits, but this is how recruiting is supposed to work.

UVA has shown a flexibility to move pieces around to get their best offensive players on the field on game day. Moore, Laviano, Herring, Cormier, Shellenberger, Bertrand, Dixon, and Schutz have all played the midfield/attackman hybrid role at some point in their careers. Shellenberger was a #1 recruit, he was ok playing midfield. Schutz was a #1 recruit, he ok fine playing midfield. Seems like they get the buy in you need to make the strategy work.

UVA certainly has, give Lars credit UVA could always recruit but he's taken it to a whole other level. Flipping a recruit from Duke is almost unheard of, there on a run right now that's almost unprecedented. Can't fault them from bringing in top player after top player but eventually something has to give. Guys are willing to move to midfield but with the amount of elite level guys coming in a few are gonna be left esentially on the bench or playing second midfield as Lars doesn't exactly play a ton of guys in his rotation. Again you can't fault UVA for this haul but i'd be willing to bet a few of these guys flip their commits in the future or there will be multiple high end transfers.

UVA certainly has, give Lars credit UVA could always recruit but he's taken it to a whole other level. Flipping a recruit from Duke is almost unheard of, there on a run right now that's almost unprecedented. Can't fault them from bringing in top player after top player but eventually something has to give. Guys are willing to move to midfield but with the amount of elite level guys coming in a few are gonna be left esentially on the bench or playing second midfield as Lars doesn't exactly play a ton of guys in his rotation. Again you can't fault UVA for this haul but i'd be willing to bet a few of these guys flip their commits in the future or there will be multiple high end transfers.
Kind of like Maryland's lineup with the portal additions last year. It's a potential problem, but the absolute best kind of potential problem you could possibly have. Could be bad for a couple kids individually, but no problem at all for Lars and UVA as a whole.

4075AD42-DFB5-4473-9333-C3100DB5A765.jpeg

Here’s one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom