Recruiting Updates | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

That is great to hear, because this kid is a steal. We are talking about adding a starting point guard to a team with a likely established starter. We all know how it can work, based on the past few years, but getting a kid to recognize it while every school is selling him on starting is difficult. Francis, we have talked a bit about Briscoe, but do you think Kaleb effects Isaiah at all?
Good question and we have discussed this before but I think it all depends on what Mr. Briscoe signs off on. Pops is trying hard to get other schools such as UK, Duke, Zona, and Florida to recruit his son.

Is it more than a feeling?
Nah, more like love and compassion.
image-5.jpg

Good question and we have discussed this before but I think it all depends on what Mr. Briscoe signs off on. Pops is trying hard to get other schools such as UK, Duke, Zona, and Florida to recruit his son.
Briscoe recently was quoted as saying he sees himself as a PG and will want a college situation where he can can come in and play major minutes right away. You're closer to this than I am but I'm having a hard time seeing the stars align on this for SU. Ennis is likely to be a 3 year guy and if we get Joseph (and I think we do) that makes for a deep crowd at PG that Mr. Briscoe will be looking at. I'd be fine with pairing Briscoe at the 2G with them but it doesn't seem he looks kindly at that.

Briscoe recently was quoted as saying he sees himself as a PG and will want a college situation where he can can come in and play major minutes right away. You're closer to this than I am but I'm having a hard time seeing the stars align on this for SU. Ennis is likely to be a 3 year guy and if we get Joseph (and I think we do) that makes for a deep crowd at PG that Mr. Briscoe will be looking at. I'd be fine with pairing Briscoe at the 2G with them but it doesn't seem he looks kindly at that.

Agree, if he wants to be a primary point it might be a tough sell. I don't blame him on wanting to get lots of reps at point though, that will probably be his best bet to make it in the NBA. I think if we can show him that we do a lot of lineups and sets with more than one primary ball handler out there, and show him how Dion played on and off the ball here and was able to play minutes at point for Cleveland this year, then maybe that helps alleviate those concerns. I'd love to get him. He's been coming up here forever and is a perfect system fit for us. On top of that it sounds like hes blowing up this spring and keeps getting better which is always good.

You and O'Sully both make good points. What SU have working in their favor is that both Ennis and Briscoe have had a lot of success playing together and are best friends. JB always works well with a 3 guard rotation. Just going back over the last 5 years or so. Flynn/ Devo/Rautins, Scoop/Rautins/Triche, then Scoop/Dion/Triche all brought us a lot of success. This year not having that 3rd guard really hurt us being consistent throughout the season and it's still amazing that we came a few awful calls late from being in the championship game. I have no doubt that the staff could sell Briscoe and his Pops on the 3 guard rotation with his boy Tyler and Joseph, but will that be good enough or does he want the total shine for himself?

You and O'Sully both make good points. What SU have working in their favor is that both Ennis and Briscoe have had a lot of success playing together and are best friends. JB always works well with a 3 guard rotation. Just going back over the last 5 years or so. Flynn/ Devo/Rautins, Scoop/Rautins/Triche, then Scoop/Dion/Triche all brought us a lot of success. This year not having that 3rd guard really hurt us being consistent throughout the season and it's still amazing that we came a few awful calls late from being in the championship game. I have no doubt that the staff could sell Briscoe and his Pops on the 3 guard rotation with his boy Tyler and Joseph, but will that be good enough or does he want the total shine for himself?

What about Cooney/Gbinije who will both be seniors, and Patterson who will be a junior during Briscoe's freshman year in college. If Ennis is around for his junior year, then you have Joseph as a soph...that's a big log jam at guard even without Briscoe. That 3 guard rotation might be a little complicated and I wonder if that will ruin our chances with him if he wants to be the guy right away. Too early to speculate and things change, but that could be a realistic scenario with the Briscoe situation.

What about Cooney/Gbinije who will both be seniors, and Patterson who will be a junior during Briscoe's freshman year in college. If Ennis is around for his junior year, then you have Joseph as a soph...that's a big log jam at guard even without Briscoe. That 3 guard rotation might be a little complicated and I wonder if that will ruin our chances with him if he wants to be the guy right away. Too early to speculate and things change, but that could be a realistic scenario with the Briscoe situation.
manny.png JB and crew will have their work cut out for them on that. I don't think Cooney and Buss would scare off any high quality guard at the moment to keep it real(Cooney stans don't kill me).

I'd be happy with Joseph and although it would be tremendous (Jimmy B's favorite word) to get Briscoe, Joseph would certainly be really exciting to watch in Orange. As some of the above posters have mentioned we have a variety of options at guard and I'm still of the opinion that Buss is going to surprise a lot of people with his play. I really think we have all the components necessary to develop a team which will be capable of making a lot of noise late in the season when it matters most. The fact that there will be a lot of new faces on the team makes it all the more exciting.

Who was predicting that last years team was going to be final 4 material? Not many, that's for sure. Never underestimate what James Arthur Boeheim is capable of assembling at this point in his career. He is absolutely at the top of his profession and has an abundance of talent and potential with which to exercise his craft this coming season.

So much to be excited about! Ennis, Silent G, Beast, 1st season in the ACC. Just for the record, ACC stands for Another Cuse Championship. Carry on !

I think the NBA guys are getting better at assessing potential and talent in the absence of opportunities to put up eye popping numbers. I think the prep players are developing some sense that being the man is fun, but so is being a really good guy on a team with other really good players. Call it the Heat effect. A lot of guys have been drafted much higher than their on court production would suggest. so I think you can make a case to elite talent (a la Cal) that they can have just as good draft stock by playing alongside other elite players as they can being head and shoulders above their teammates.

This is a roundabout way of saying - we must sign all the players.

I think the NBA guys are getting better at assessing potential and talent in the absence of opportunities to put up eye popping numbers. I think the prep players are developing some sense that being the man is fun, but so is being a really good guy on a team with other really good players. Call it the Heat effect. A lot of guys have been drafted much higher than their on court production would suggest. so I think you can make a case to elite talent (a la Cal) that they can have just as good draft stock by playing alongside other elite players as they can being head and shoulders above their teammates.

This is a roundabout way of saying - we must sign all the players.
Exactly. Sign the best players we can and worry about rotations n playing time later. Everything always finds a way to work itself out in the end.

Ennis is likely to be a 3 year guy and if we get Joseph (and I think we do) that makes for a deep crowd at PG that Mr. Briscoe will be looking at.

If Syracuse has a strong year next year, like a lot of people are predicting, I think it is more likely Ennis is 1 and done then a 3 year player.

If Syracuse has a strong year next year, like a lot of people are predicting, I think it is more likely Ennis is 1 and done then a 3 year player.
My odds: 60% - 2 years (the current favorite)
25% - 1 year
12% - 3 years
3% - 4 years (not saying it couldn't happen)

Can you imagine if we landed Bryant and McCullough stayed for a second year...wow. Go with a larger lineup for spurts - one of them at the three, other at the four.

Watching Mccullough online I see him staying atleast two years like a warrick. I don't think his dribble drive or his isolation pull up is that good yet to be one and done. But, then again hes only a jr right now.

Watching Mccullough online I see him staying atleast two years like a warrick. I don't think his dribble drive or his isolation pull up is that good yet to be one and done. But, then again hes only a jr right now.

Can you imagine if we landed Bryant and McCullough stayed for a second year...wow. Go with a larger lineup for spurts - one of them at the three, other at the four.

guys there is absolutely no way in hell McCollough stays for more then 1 year. i mean there isn't even a 1% chance. Even if he has an awful year he is still gone, and a top 5 pick. even Boeheim said he only needs 1 season, and is the best recruit since Melo.

Three guys can play big minutes. In fact, we've done just that for several years in a row now.

guys there is absolutely no way in hell McCollough stays for more then 1 year. i mean there isn't even a 1% chance. Even if he has an awful year he is still gone, and a top 5 pick. even Boeheim said he only needs 1 season, and is the best recruit since Melo.
McCullough's upside is very huge no doubt but right now he's still a work in progress. His best attribute currently is running the floor and scoring in transition. He struggles a lot when the game slows down and needs to find a consistent bread n butter move in the half court setting. I think it's great that he didn't bump up into the 2013 class, because now he has another year to work on those tools and hopefully become a more complete player by the time he hits SU.

McCullough's upside is very huge no doubt but right now he's still a work in progress. His best attribute currently is running the floor and scoring in transition. He struggles a lot when the game slows down and needs to find a consistent bread n butter move in the half court setting. I think it's great that he didn't bump up into the 2013 class, because now he has another year to work on those tools and hopefully become a more complete player by the time he hits SU.

It's like big guys these days have forgotten (or never learned) basic post moves with your back to the basket. You see it even among elite recruits every year. Learning a drop step to your left and right is all you need. You work on your footwork and learn those 2 pivot moves in the low post, but so few guys are able to do that. All the AAU ball features too much running and gunning and so little half-court ball.

You kind of expect the HS coaches to fill in the gaps there, but geez, it's so basic and nobody can do these little things any more. All big guys want to be shooting guards, and all undersized PGs really wish they were big men.