Red | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red

I don't care about the zone? I'm just not that impressed with us, yet. No inside game. Not enough quality outside shooting. The team we routed today is a shell of the team they normally have. I want to see us beat a quality team. Like everyone else here does. Beating a horrible G-town , LSU and Oregon, doesn't make me think we have turned the corner. Let's hang in there for 40 minuets against a quality team. . Let's beat a good team. Not a great team because I don't know that we can beat a great team. I'm not counting us out. Just that right now, I am not that impressed.
Sure, these W's aren't against the Cream of the Crop-
But they are doing wonders for building confidence and team chemistry.
And the team seems to be enjoying playing together more the past few games.
Maybe, if the progress continues, you will see SU get that big W vs a quality team.

We were completely outclassed by UVA and Gonzaga. And both of those teams have been struggling.
Indeed.

IMG_7210.jpeg

Sure, these W's aren't against the Cream of the Crop-
But they are doing wonders for building confidence and team chemistry.
And the team seems to be enjoying playing together more the past few games.
Maybe, if the progress continues, you will see SU get that big W vs a quality team.
i feel like theres a lot of room for improvement and the team is improving game by game

my over/under for if this is a successful season will be making the tourney or not

at this point, I expect it to happen. it really should.

Okay. Long time lurker, never poster. But now I feel like I want to. Can’t anybody see what one of the best point guards history is doing early in the season. He’s trying to figure what the best skills all his guys have, and trying to fit them together in the best line up. It’s why, for example you Justin Taylor on the floor for 30-plus minutes one and 10 the next. This team is young, but talented enough that when Red figures it out, they are an NCAA tournament quality team. Just relax. Red just needs to get them playing for 40 minutes

I’m not worried about Red’s coaching… he clearly has a vision and a plan. I am worried about whether the players can focus and execute on each and every possession because so far they have not been able to. They still fall asleep way too often on defense and give up too many easy shots. They also revert to playground ball when they are under pressure or panic which has led to scoring droughts. If you look at each of their three losses they have gotten out of hand because the players have lost focus for a chunk of the game after showing they can play even for long stretches. The talent and athleticism has been upgraded where they can and will dominate lesser teams. The season is going to hinge on whether the UVA game was a learning experience or if that’s how games against decent teams is going to go.

1000% way too early to say.

We were completely outclassed by UVA and Gonzaga. And both of those teams have been struggling.

We have played very well against the other P5 teams on our schedule. We won vs Colgate and Cornell.

This team is clearly good enough to be in the upper half of the ACC and honestly get a tournament bid.

I do think come March our OOC will be a net positive. No reason why we can’t win 10 ACC games
Your wrong. Red inherited a mess. What's hes accomplished is pretty amazing.

Okay. Long time lurker, never poster. But now I feel like I want to. Can’t anybody see what one of the best point guards history is doing early in the season. He’s trying to figure what the best skills all his guys have, and trying to fit them together in the best line up. It’s why, for example you Justin Taylor on the floor for 30-plus minutes one and 10 the next. This team is young, but talented enough that when Red figures it out, they are an NCAA tournament quality team. Just relax. Red just needs to get them playing for 40 minutes
Sensible on all accounts.

I’m not worried about Red’s coaching… he clearly has a vision and a plan. I am worried about whether the players can focus and execute on each and every possession because so far they have not been able to. They still fall asleep way too often on defense and give up too many easy shots. They also revert to playground ball when they are under pressure or panic which has led to scoring droughts. If you look at each of their three losses they have gotten out of hand because the players have lost focus for a chunk of the game after showing they can play even for long stretches. The talent and athleticism has been upgraded where they can and will dominate lesser teams. The season is going to hinge on whether the UVA game was a learning experience or if that’s how games against decent teams is going to go.
i thnk we are all a bit insecure from how the JB era crashed and burned the last few years

couldnt do anything against the good squads anymore...in dogfights with the dogs

this team is different

theyve played 3 really good teams and gotten smoked ...which was triggering, no doubt

but theyve beaten everyone else...mostly in blowouts lately (encouraging)

JB wasnt doing that lately.

this team has to tighten up to beat the top 10/20...if they can, they will. the margin for error against those squads is small...and will remain so...(but it will also likely get bigger than it currently is)
fair enough...yeah red is finally getting his rotations figured out.

I expect to see different players feature as the matchup warrants...both within games and throughout the season.

but overall, I expect to see a few players who played a lot early play less as the season goes on a vice versa...

i epxect to see more of copeland, benny and chance

and less of taylor and mcleod

I was critical of the lack of discipline 4-5 games into the season. I've been very pleased since then to see Red pull Bell for not playing defense and the rotations improve on defense. There has been less iso ball on offense recently another area of improvement. I'm sit back and and enjoy the season and accept that we simply don't have the right personnel for Red's system.

Autry's learning just like the players are. I want to see us beat Niagara without a sweat, get past Pittsburgh and take Duke to the last 5 minutes. Pitt has strong computer numbers but hasn't beaten anyone.

Boeheim who? Autry has made watching SU basketball a joy again.
It’s nice that we can actually paste decent teams again. I know LSU and Oregon weren’t as good as expected but we were underdogs today.

Great decision to know we’d get more from our athletic bench than Taylor and Bell.

Also good discipline to not foul a lot while playing such good D, gambling for steals etc. That’s our 9 and we’ll play 10 the games we ask Hima to gut out some minutes it’s a pretty well rounded rotation Judah plays 35 and the other guys have to earn big minutes any given night.

Disagree, I want to see us beat Duke. None of this close/competitive loss BS.
We really want one of the Duke or UNC road games. I don’t think it’s certain we can count on the other ACC opponents to be ranked when we play them.

I don't care about the zone? I'm just not that impressed with us, yet. No inside game. Not enough quality outside shooting. The team we routed today is a shell of the team they normally have. I want to see us beat a quality team. Like everyone else here does. Beating a horrible G-town , LSU and Oregon, doesn't make me think we have turned the corner. Let's hang in there for 40 minuets against a quality team. . Let's beat a good team. Not a great team because I don't know that we can beat a great team. I'm not counting us out. Just that right now, I am not that impressed.

I guess I am looking at the season with far lesser expectations than you are at this point dash. I don’t see a calamity on the court that can’t compete against good teams.

I am not convinced we can play against a good team. I hope, hope, hope, I am surprised and that we can.
Do you think this team will be better than the ones at the end of Boeheim’s tenure, the 2021-22 and 22-23 teams?

Do you think this team will be better than the ones at the end of Boeheim’s tenure, the 2021-22 and 22-23 teams?
I honestly don't know what that has to do with anything. I just don't think we have a good team. We are too limited. But to answer your question, I have always thought that teams that play man to man will improve more than teams that play zone over the course of a season. So, I think we can get better. But there is a cap to how high that top is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom