Red | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Red

I don’t think we’re going to lose to Pitt anymore since Dixon left. Always good to beat Pitt. I kinda like their pittsburg pirateishhh uniforms.

Is that the same board that declared Benny Williams had played his last game in a Syracuse uniform?
This too. During Benny's struggles, I tried to keep it positive and talk about how we needed him to figure things out mentally if we want a chance to be a tourney team this season, but there were some folks that thought he should be booted off the team, saying he was a cancer, without knowing any first hand facts and only operating on rumors. Benny's past few games show what a key player he can be off the bench when he puts his mind to it. I'm rooting for him to succeed and keep this turnaround going. When the starters are struggling, good bench play can make all the difference.

Pitt was tough and physical. We matched that today in ways we haven't been able to in a LONG time.
This- I don’t know whether we are tourney team or not, but we are starting to look like Syracuse again…tough, athletic and not backing down. I told my wife today that this is the most fun this team has been to watch in several years…

Is that the same board that declared Benny Williams had played his last game in a Syracuse uniform?
I give everyone credit, coaches teammates and Benny. He’s a different kid, he’s a good kid but he’s different and there’s been some stuff behind the scenes that was tough for everyone to handle the right way. I think they got through that very very tough stretch even when a lot of us thought it wasn’t possible. I’m happy for him and everyone that worked hard to keep his head above water. Lotta good support around him

I'll admit to not being thrilled with the hire as it was promoting from within a coaching staff that really wasn't getting the job done on the court or in recruiting, but I've done a 180 on red.

It feels like this team's broken the 80-point mark more in the first 13 games of this season than the last 10 years combined. What's kind of amazing about that is that they are scoring more despite not having anyone on the roster who is a good or consistent threat from 3. It's such a relief not to watch those rock fights where it was walk the ball up and first to 50 wins.

This is the style of Syracuse basketball I remember as a kid and what drew me into being a fan. Next year's recruiting class looks promising and if Red can bring in the shooters and a reliable big the trajectory should keep going up.

The board overreacted to a couple of blowout losses less than 10 games into Reds coaching career?

Shocker.
Given how we lost, I don't think it was an overreaction at all. There were red flags all over the place.

Given how we lost, I don't think it was an overreaction at all. There were red flags all over the place.
Nah, they were within striking distance with under 10 minutes to go in a couple of those losses despite how badly they looked, and despite the final margin. But keep spewing out your narrative, and polish up your talking points for the next loss.

Jim isnt coming back and we are not going to hire Oats. Red is doing a heck of a job. He completely revamped the roster. Kept half the team as these kids would have most likely bolted if an outsider was hired. 10 -3 is unreal for his first year at this point. Guy is crushing it.

I’ve supported Red from day one but was very skeptical coming into the season. Red has exceeded computer expectations and has the team trending upwards. No bad losses in the first 13 games. I don’t think we could ask for anything more under the circumstances. Let’s keep the momentum going and take down a couple quad 1 games in conference and see where we land come March. I’m having a blast this season. Credit to Red and staff.

I thought Wildhack should've gone outside the program, but I don't think that was ever very realistic. But Red has impressed me. We don't have any seniors or first-round picks and very little outside shooting but are 10-3 with no bad losses against a challenging schedule. I love that Red has been playing with different lineups to figure out what works in a given situation and is constantly learning and adjusting without overdoing it.

The team is steadily improving and actually fun to watch, which hadn't been the case for awhile.

Nah, they were within striking distance with under 10 minutes to go in a couple of those losses despite how badly they looked, and despite the final margin. But keep spewing out your narrative, and polish up your talking points for the next loss.

I am not sure why people think this is some sort of valid argument that we are a good team before getting our doors blown open late.

It's not. When it happens multiple times against good teams, it shows you have a problem/aren't that good. Good teams finish-off games.

Love the style we're playing tho... game is so much more watchable this year.

We need some better horses in the stable if we're going to play the high-intensity m2m all-game. We need hockey lines! Hopefully, those players are coming.

I fear this team just doesn't have enough to get the couple of the signature wins we are going to need for tourney, but I would love to be wrong about that, of course. Anything can happen on a given day and we are certainly capable enough to beat just about any team on an off night.

I am not sure why people think this is some sort of valid argument that we are a good team before getting our doors blown open late.

It's not. When it happens multiple times against good teams, it shows you have a problem/aren't that good. Good teams finish-off games.

Love the style we're playing tho... game is so much more watchable this year.

We need some better horses in the stable if we're going to play the high-intensity m2m all-game. We need hockey lines! Hopefully, those players are coming.

I fear this team just doesn't have enough to get the couple of the signature wins we are going to need for tourney, but I would love to be wrong about that, of course. Anything can happen on a given day and we are certainly capable enough to beat just about any team on an off night.
It's valid in the sense that if you're assessing a team not even half way into the season, you shouldn't dismiss them as hot garbage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom