Rumor is chucks is closing? | Syracusefan.com

Rumor is chucks is closing?

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
becoming student housing? 3 people have told me this

Was dead after the V Tech game which surprised me. If that was any sign of how business has been, then I'm not surprised.

My buddy used to bartend there. The new owner ruined the place. It's not what it once was and happy hour isn't as big as it was 5 years ago.

I agree, they dont open early enough for a nooner and don't run specials . hard to lose the student biz but they did somehow. but, student housing ? down that dingy alley?

New mgmt ruined it. During my time 08-12 there, chucks was the place on the weekends for me and bunch of my friends. Always packed. You need to really to keep students away

supposedly that location is turning into student housing. There are several of these types of project currently being discussed on the hill

Bruegger's ran out on their lease next door and the plaza owner has always been open to offers. Makes sense. But hopefully retail is required in the new development. There's too little as it is, and most of the new residential projects don't have any. And it's very difficult for a new restaurant or bar to get a liquor license thanks to the big NIMBY up on the hill.

New Chuck's ownership made the place worse. Different food, unfriendly hours. It's a fine bar for students, but not the kind of place to draw in anyone else.

Was dead after the V Tech game which surprised me. If that was any sign of how business has been, then I'm not surprised.

Last time I was there was before the UNC game last year and it was packed. I didn't realize it wasn't doing as well.

ssbriefcase said:
God bless Chuck's. I've either done, been involved in or witnessed things in there, that I can't type on this forum. The late 80's early 90's, Chucks WAS the weekend.

Admins, can we start a "Stuff that went down in Chuck's" board?

Will never be a more entertaining joint while urinating in a bathroom and reading ;) well, maybe Jerome bettis' bar next to Heinz field. If you have been there, you know what i mean;)

Will never be a more entertaining joint while urinating in a bathroom and reading ;) well, maybe Jerome bettis' bar next to Heinz field. If you have been there, you know what i mean;)
Do you mean the urinals that look out into the bar? Or something much more sinister?

I have fond memories of Chuck's, one of which includes Eric Devendorf throwing a bar stool directly into a bouncer's face.

I was there for one of those nights as well. Devo and Terrence Roberts loved to start stuff there.

Admins, can we start a "Stuff that went down in Chuck's" board?

I liked the original Hungry Charlie's (downstairs in the 757 Crouse Alleyway, beneath Sutter's Mill (modern "Chuck's"). Great sandwiches, hot and open faced for about $3.50 and $5 pitchers of dark beer. Soooo good.

It'd be sad to see Chuck's go, but that place is a complete dump - although I know it's an enjoyable dump, especially when you're in college. Didn't go to SU, but spent many happy hours and late nights there. That being said, that area is kind of embarrassing to have as your premier off-campus entertainment district. It's dingy, outdated and unappealing.

Hopefully, as others have said, if they do build something new, it will contain a retail component. There have been a number of proposed housing developments in that area, and nothing has come to fruition yet, so we'll even see if this is true.

I liked the original Hungry Charlie's (downstairs in the 757 Crouse Alleyway, beneath Sutter's Mill (modern "Chuck's"). Great sandwiches, hot and open faced for about $3.50 and $5 pitchers of dark beer. Soooo good.

I believe it's mandatory that I respond to this thread.

Trust me, when that place closed, that was the end of Chuck's.

The current version never even came close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom