Rumor is chucks is closing? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor is chucks is closing?

Always liked their food. Good job! What happened to that place? Why did it close?

I moved away to the NYC area just a few months later. So many great places disappeared (or went downhill) in that time - Hotel Syracuse, Carroll's, drive in movies, Danzer's, all the discos and bars that had live music, Suburban Park, all the "local" indoor malls like Fairmount Fair, Shoppingtown, Fayetteville Mall, Penn Can Mall. So many of them got killed by Congel. By the time I came back here, it was a generation later and the whole place is/was so much different.

Carousel/Destiny wouldn't exist for another 10 years. Dinosaur wouldn't exist for another decade, either. And to be honest, I don't remember salt potatoes being a thing when I was a kid.

John Valby at the original Maggie's (upstairs in the mall) was a blast.

Need to borrow a DeLorean and spend a weekend, or two, back in the day...

"Ay, yi, yi, yi, your mother swims after troop ships!
Now sing me another one just like the other one
and waltz me around by my willie!"

Last edited:
So that Bruegger's has closed up shop. Seems like some pretty good real estate. Not sure for what though.

The landlords are psycho up there. They think of it as a speculator's market, where they force out tenants, and then try to get people to pay off the old tenant to buy their lease, to get into the building under the terns of the old lease to take advantage of the "great" rent deal that other person got.

A bunch of them do this. They call it key money. And then the landlord tries to go back and renegotiate the terms of the lease that you just paid $50,000 to step into the shoes of that previous tenant. I tell my clients to avoid going up there. It's not just Jacobs. There are a couple other, flat out terrible landlords up there who do this.

The original Chuck's was my first "regular" bar at SU, a place to go whenever I wanted to go out and there'd always be someone I knew there. Great music, cheap pitchers and Galaga. After a few choice experiences I learned to stay the hell away from the sangria. Is it me or were the girls at Chuck's just generally friendlier than other places around campus? That was my initial impression when I started there as a freshman in Fall '89. God bless it. Later on I would always end up at Faegan's late night because I knew just about everyone that ran the place, but I almost always started at Chuck's or complained up and down to my friends that dragged me elsewhere.

Jimmy Breslin
th

I just want to say that being I got my degree elsewhere with our boy Tee(rip?), I am adding Chuck's to my bucket list for all of the legends Ive heard or seen written on here or elsewhere. Due to it sounding so currently poorly run, it sounds like I might need to plan on what ends up being a better night than expected. I want to experience Chuck's dangit!!! I think it would make me a more complete board member, almost like getting a merit badge in the scouts.

Yep, it's parallel and it was always there. I've crawled through it a time or two.
Sorry I should've been more clear. I remember the alley but I think it was just an alley then.

Sorry I should've been more clear. I remember the alley but I think it was just an alley then.

I think a decent director could set that up as a pretty cool line in a movie, if done properly. I saw it out of context, which probably contributed to me seeing it that way, dark and mysterious, belonging in some near-future dystopian flick where non-essential things like sports have been abandoned by society and people put this amount of creative thought and analysis to improving the world in their own natural ways, out of necessity instead of by choice.

Ha, I'm guessing you didnt expect your line to inspire anyone like that. :)

The original Chuck's was my first "regular" bar at SU, a place to go whenever I wanted to go out and there'd always be someone I knew there. Great music, cheap pitchers and Galaga. After a few choice experiences I learned to stay the hell away from the sangria. Is it me or were the girls at Chuck's just generally friendlier than other places around campus? That was my initial impression when I started there as a freshman in Fall '89. God bless it. Later on I would always end up at Faegan's late night because I knew just about everyone that ran the place, but I almost always started at Chuck's or complained up and down to my friends that dragged me elsewhere.
I loved and worked at the original Hungry Charlie's in the mid 70's. I made hungries, sangria, played a little music, and met my now ex-wife there. My managers were Mark & Anthony and I worked with a fellow named Corky. Anyone know where any of those guys are now?

Last edited:
I loved and worked at the original Hungry Charlie's in the mid 70's. I made hungries, sangria, played a little music, and met my now ex-wife there. My manager was Anthony and I worked with a fellow named Corky. Anyone know where any of those guys are now?

I heard a rumor Corky has moved on to bigger things, and doesn't want to be remembered for his past. I think he was especially ticked off when compared to DC2, in regards to rooting for him.

Who is the current owner of Chucks? I remember a guy who I went to high school with was the owner of it awhile back. I spent a lot of time listening to Homel- Alaniz Band at Dead Night at Sutter's. My first experience on the Hill was Braggs, but I spent a lot of time at Chucks as well. Good times. I can't believe the stamina I had for engaging in shenanigans back then.

I think a decent director could set that up as a pretty cool line in a movie, if done properly. I saw it out of context, which probably contributed to me seeing it that way, dark and mysterious, belonging in some near-future dystopian flick where non-essential things like sports have been abandoned by society and people put this amount of creative thought and analysis to improving the world in their own natural ways, out of necessity instead of by choice.

Ha, I'm guessing you didnt expect your line to inspire anyone like that. :)
I actually knew it was inspirational!

I just want to say that being I got my degree elsewhere with our boy Tee(rip?), I am adding Chuck's to my bucket list for all of the legends Ive heard or seen written on here or elsewhere. Due to it sounding so currently poorly run, it sounds like I might need to plan on what ends up being a better night than expected. I want to experience Chuck's dangit!!! I think it would make me a more complete board member, almost like getting a merit badge in the scouts.
Tee is alive and well, homey. He said he was taking a long break. Wanted everyone to know he's good.

1975 grad Original Hungry Charlie's; Varsity, Lee's, Danzer's and who could forget the Barrel of Fun?
Now, those were the days. Also was some Chinese restaurant where we would do Flaming Zombies!

John Valby at the original Maggie's (upstairs in the mall) was a blast.

Need to borrow a DeLorean and spend a weekend, or two, back in the day...
He sued a family member of mine who owned Maggie Jordan's restaurant near Tipperary Hill, which was named after it's original owner from the 1800's, Margaret Jordan. Even though it was a completely different style of restaurant that didn't cater to college students (Coach B and Coach Mac used to eat there), it became popular and locals started referring to it as Maggie's. I'm not sure what the outcome was..possibly a settlement, because the name didn't change.

becoming student housing? 3 people have told me this

In my four years on the hill, 84-88, I can probably use the fingers on one hand to represent the number of times I went to Chuck's...I just never hung out there...

Nostalgic posts aside, has anyone been able to confirm that there is any truth behind this?

Yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if development is delayed by the wait for the market study that the institutions are pushing for. But the developer is moving forward even before the rezoning takes place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom