Rumor is chucks is closing? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor is chucks is closing?

I believe it's mandatory that I respond to this thread.

Trust me, when that place closed, that was the end of Chuck's.

The current version never even came close.

My vague memory of what transpired in the mid 70's...I heard that the original HC's was owned by a group in Boston. The fellow that was managing HC's (and doing a great job imo) was attempting to buy them out. I think he succeeded? It was good when I left in the late 70's. (My info may not be accurate)

I think it has been through a few owners since?

For all those nostalgic people on here, chucks was a great time during my time on the hill from 03-07. Place would get packed. I hear now a days, the kids dont even come out until midnight.

I believe it's mandatory that I respond to this thread.

Trust me, when that place closed, that was the end of Chuck's.

The current version never even came close.

Owner of Sutter's used to be a football player. Can't remember his name right now. I used to make the best Reubens in history at that place. The chef's salad in the big wooden bowls was cubes of good quality ham, turkey and swiss. Very good burgers and great French Onion Soup.

All within one night, I witnessed the Ng-Bat stand up on a chair and air guitar the Rolling Stones while lip syncing and then proceeded to use a fake Alabama accent to try and pick up women. I think the Ng-Bat set too high a standard for me. This occured after Pitt football, 2012. It all occurred in front of my sister.

This guy's sister went into the kitchen at Chuck's and came back with a copious amount of free chicken fingers. Happy times.

My vague memory of what transpired in the mid 70's...I heard that the original HC's was owned by a group in Boston. The fellow that was managing HC's (and doing a great job imo) was attempting to buy them out. I think he succeeded? It was good when I left in the late 70's. (My info may not be accurate)

I think it has been through a few owners since?

I was there about the same time as you, maybe a little after. Even worked there for a short time. What you say about the ownership rings a faint bell.

Great place for sandwiches, mac n cheese, beef stew, cold pitchers of brew, pinball and video games, and for bands, especially after they blew out the wall and took the space next door. Always a good counter-culture vibe...sense that the place was underground in more ways than one.

Ok refresh my memory. I was there in early 2000s. I lived at Harry's and Faegans. Was Chucks on the other side of the street upstairs? Was it called Chucks? Witnessed many a scuffle there. I seemed to recall a bar between that and the brueggers/barber shop that had an aquatic feel to it (but it's probably just bad memory).

Ok refresh my memory. I was there in early 2000s. I lived at Harry's and Faegans. Was Chucks on the other side of the street upstairs? Was it called Chucks? Witnessed many a scuffle there. I seemed to recall a bar between that and the brueggers/barber shop that had an aquatic feel to it (but it's probably just bad memory).

Chuck's is right next to Funk N Waffles basically. Down that same little alleyway.

Chuck's is right next to Funk N Waffles basically. Down that same little alleyway.
I don't think FNW was there in my time. Is it on the corner? I remember a bar called Lucy's. is that still there?

I don't think FNW was there in my time. Is it on the corner? I remember a bar called Lucy's. is that still there?

Lucy's is still a bar. Now the Orange Crate.

From this perspective, Faegan's is basically directly behind you and Lucy's is to the left.

15rb75u.png
15rb75u.png

Darwins, RIP, was across the street from Harry's on the 2nd floor above the beer store.

From this perspective, Faegan's is basically directly behind you and Lucy's is to the left.

15rb75u.png
15rb75u.png
Ok thanks! Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think that alley was there back then

Aka Braggs
Ah, Bragg's... used to get a beer float there from time to time...

It's still odd seeing Chuck's where Sutter's Mill & Mining Co. should be.
The same could be said for Lucy's (Orange Crate?) where Buggsy's should be.
Progress... I guess... they need to make M. Street, and surroundings, great again!

Ah, Bragg's... used to get a beer float there from time to time...

It's still odd seeing Chuck's where Sutter's Mill & Mining Co. should be.
The same could be said for Lucy's (Orange Crate?) where Buggsy's should be.
Progress... I guess... they need to make M. Street, and surroundings, great again!

At least Faegan's and the Varsity are still there.

You'd think owning a bar in a college town would be like a license to print $, but I guess with all the issues w/ underage drinking, it's less so than it used to be.

RIP: Buggsy's, Bragg's, Maggie's, Sutter's, etc.
I guess I really was keeping all of those places in business! :p

You'd think owning a bar in a college town would be like a license to print $, but I guess with all the issues w/ underage drinking, it's less so than it used to be.

I knew some of the owners back in the day and noted a couple trends. First, the summer is a killer for those not cash flow savvy. Second, yayo and E are not cheap.

One summer I lived up in the house at the corner of Comstock and Euclid and cooked at Sutter's. Early 80s. Great time.
Always liked their food. Good job! What happened to that place? Why did it close?

Used to Bounce at Maggies. The original one where Cafe Kubal is. Place was a trainwreck at the end of the night. Crazy Chris. Fun times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom