Rumor is chucks is closing? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor is chucks is closing?

At least Faegan's and the Varsity are still there.

You'd think owning a bar in a college town would be like a license to print $, but I guess with all the issues w/ underage drinking, it's less so than it used to be.

RIP: Buggsy's, Bragg's, Maggie's, Sutter's, etc.
I guess I really was keeping all of those places in business! :p
I thought it was me. Don't forget about student's choice market. I spent a small fortune on Piel's beer (in the bottle, by the case)

Moontan said:
Ah, Bragg's... used to get a beer float there from time to time... It's still odd seeing Chuck's where Sutter's Mill & Mining Co. should be. The same could be said for Lucy's (Orange Crate?) where Buggsy's should be. Progress... I guess... they need to make M. Street, and surroundings, great again!

image-3722663824.jpg

I'll see your Buggsy's and raise you an Orange!

John Valby at the original Maggie's (upstairs in the mall) was a blast.

Need to borrow a DeLorean and spend a weekend, or two, back in the day...
Never saw him at Maggies, but saw him a bunch at the Jab. Good times.

Maggie's got busted I believe my freshman year and they found an insane amount of underage kids in there (around 08 timeframe). Think that turned in DJ's bar.

Really the only bar I would go to was chucks. Harry's, Lucy's, faegan's, and DJ's were all around but didn't really have the crowd I liked to be around. Any others I forgot? Sometimes went to flip night at faegan's and occasionally Lucy's (now orange crate, I guess). I think there's a small bar in manlius also called Orange crate- same owner??

Downtown really isn't far at all from campus but really my friends and I almost never went there...just stayed at marshall

Was Jab at the south campus. Saw him there too!

Under what was then Kimmel dining hall across the street from Booth. As per Bevo's link above, remarkable things happened in that little place. I even remember some of them, Dr Dirty's regular appearances included.

The bar where students and (old) locals drank side by side.

And never spoke to each other.

I loved the Orange.

Mostly in the daytime for the old locals. When it was also possible to go upstairs and have...umm, a smoke...with no one there to give a damn.

Maggie's got busted I believe my freshman year and they found an insane amount of underage kids in there (around 08 timeframe). Think that turned in DJ's bar.

Really the only bar I would go to was chucks. Harry's, Lucy's, faegan's, and DJ's were all around but didn't really have the crowd I liked to be around. Any others I forgot? Sometimes went to flip night at faegan's and occasionally Lucy's (now orange crate, I guess). I think there's a small bar in manlius also called Orange crate- same owner??

Downtown really isn't far at all from campus but really my friends and I almost never went there...just stayed at marshall
My last year we basically gave up on Marshall and we're exclusively armory late night. So is that little alleyway in the pic parallel to Marshall st?

From this perspective, Faegan's is basically directly behind you and Lucy's is to the left.

15rb75u.png
15rb75u.png
So that Bruegger's has closed up shop. Seems like some pretty good real estate. Not sure for what though.

Same owners for the Orange Crate as Lucy's. All Maggie's let in was underage kids. Senior Sunday was the best at Faegans back in 06-07. 3 dollar Long Islands.

I thought it was me. Don't forget about student's choice market. I spent a small fortune on Piel's beer (in the bottle, by the case)

Yeah, $5 got you a CASE of Piel's longnecks, including deposit.
Good times.

Mon nite at Maggie's (old, upstairs location in the Marshall Sq. "mall") was $.25 cent hotdogs and $2 pitchers for MNF.
We'd go there with $3 and make a night of it.

Yeah, $5 got you a CASE of Piel's longnecks, including deposit.
Good times.

Mon nite at Maggie's (old, upstairs location in the Marshall Sq. "mall") was $.25 cent hotdogs and $2 pitchers for MNF.
We'd go there with $3 and make a night of it.
We must have done the exact same things. I think we've determined on another board that you were a few years ahead of me. I started in '87

My last year we basically gave up on Marshall and we're exclusively armory late night. So is that little alleyway in the pic parallel to Marshall st?

Yep, it's parallel and it was always there. I've crawled through it a time or two.

We must have done the exact same things. I think we've determined on another board that you were a few years ahead of me. I started in '87

You sayin' I'm old or something? :p
GET OFF MY LAWN.

I was '84-'88.

My liver aged in dog years.

I tended bar at Sutters for a while in '87, which is where Chuck's (apparently) now is. Highlight was serving Sherm and Stevie one night.
Folks don't know how great it was to have "Slutters" upstairs, and Chucks downstairs.

Sutter's alley, you could've made a VHS tape back in the day of just the crazy brawls that went down in that alley. It looks all fancy now from that pic, it was extra grimy back then.

You sayin' I'm old or something? :p
GET OFF MY LAWN.

I was '84-'88.

My liver aged in dog years.

I tended bar at Sutters for a while in '87, which is where Chuck's (apparently) now is. Highlight was serving Sherm and Stevie one night.
Folks don't know how great it was to have "Slutters" upstairs, and Chucks downstairs.
We're all old now. I have some great Stevie stories. The dude had about 20 girlfriends on campus at the same time. And they all thought they were the only ones.

Love this thread. $1 import night on thursdays at Maggie's in the mall was the holy grail. Would drink $1 bradours all night long and then get a slice of the hottest pizza on the planet. It was a good night if no one pulled the fire alarm in January.

Would also go for fishbowls and turtle races.

The hill in the 80s was completely out of control...in a good sorta way. But there were fights every night. Every night.

Flip night at Faegans (with those amazing wings they'd bring out at midnight), 4-for-1' mixed drinks at Buggsy's in the red Solo cups, fishbowls at Maggies, Greek nite at Bragg's ($1 funnels and Genny pounders), playing quarters at Chucks, there was something going on every night of the week.

I'd always end up at Varsity juuuust before they closed, and usually get 2-3 slices for the price of 1, as they were blowing out whatever they had left at the end of the night.

Oh, and nickel green beers and Lucky Charms at Maggies on St Patty's morning, starting at 8am.
Needless to say, I never made it to class on St. Patty's Day.

Flip night at Faegans (with those amazing wings they'd bring out at midnight), 4-for-1' mixed drinks at Buggsy's in the red Solo cups, fishbowls at Maggies, Greek nite at Bragg's ($1 funnels and Genny pounders), playing quarters at Chucks, there was something going on every night of the week.

I'd always end up at Varsity juuuust before they closed, and usually get 2-3 slices for the price of 1, as they were blowing out whatever they had left at the end of the night.

Oh, and nickel green beers and Lucky Charms at Maggies on St Patty's morning, starting at 8am.
Needless to say, I never made it to class on St. Patty's Day.
4 for 1 mixers at Buggsy's!!! Completely forgot about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom