Class of 2016 - S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI

TheCusian said:
What if the kid heard "we want you to visit campus before you commit" and took that as "I have an offer"? Or "we love your play on the field and are offering a scholarship if you take of your test scores" ... Lots of gray area and "lost is translation" stuff in there. The fact that the coaches can't tell their side of the story makes things a lot more muddled.

Then he wouldn't have an offer because of the ifs. Which does happen a lot which is why I said offer lists on recruiting sites are often BS.

money3189 said:
ok he would have been told no. Just like thousands of other kids being told no. SU is no different from any other school that have to keep kids on hold. There are thousands of prospects who keep schools on hold.

Agree completely. Then they don't really have an offer. If they had a real offer they could commit.

Agree completely. Then they don't really have an offer. If they had a real offer they could commit.

Maybe the coaches really do just want a face to face first, he has not visited. Either way he can not commit without first talking to his recruiter, especially after at first committing elsewhere. Kid still appears to be a pretty decent prospect.

Maybe it isn't so much that they don't have an offer but rather, with a few exceptions, all these offers are "contingent" offers. Contingent on a face to face evaluation, academics, injury, good behavior. That these requirements have to be met for the offer to become firm...besides of course the pecking order. And that is the problem that the kids don't realize the difference.

Last edited:
Maybe it isn't so much that they don't have an offer but rather, with a few exceptions, all these offers are "contingent" offers. Contingent on a face to face evaluation, academics, injury, good behavior. That these requirements have to be met for the offer to become firm...besides of course the pecking order. And that is the problem that the kids don't realize the difference.
This is the best explanation I've read concerning offers.

I like Clarke's tape, he looks like a good player, hopefully it works out for him.

I agree we don't have a lot of size in our defensive backfield. Too bad we can't make room for this kid and Burrell. I have a feeling this kid is going elsewhere.

I'm not thinking too much into it. I've said a couple times a kid should tell the coach first. My point is, even if he did in this case, he would have been told no. Which means he didn't really have an offer.

What about, he was given n offer contingent on 2 other guys in the defensive backfield committing elsewhere? Would that be OK?

Kind of like taking a civil service exam and not having the tops score and being on the waiting list.

Considering his decommit from Oregon State, the staff wants to get him on campus before accepting his pledge. Unfortunately, they cannot gauge how serious he is without seeing him for a face-to-face. Not unreasonable.

That said, I do think it's obvious that the staff values one or more prospects at this kids position to be above him in the pecking order. So they may be using the campus visit in order to buy time. Still wouldn't shock me to see this kid Orange at the end of the cycle.

`Ok ladies and gents, time to give this young man a bounce. 5'8" safeties aren't cutting it! This young man wanted to commit but was told to hold off' Were Tebucky, Donovin or Markus sub 6', no!! Unless grades are an issue, accept the verbal, NOW.

Last edited:
`Ok ladies and gents, time to give this young man a bounce. 5'8" safeties aren't cutting it! This young man wanted to commit but was told to hold off' Were Tebucky, Donovin or Markus sub 6', no!! Unless grades are an issue, accept the verbal, NOW.
Maybe he's just not that good? If you think our 5'8" safeties are crap, and our coaches think that the 5'8" safeties are still better than Clarke, imagine how mediocre Clarke must be.

Maybe he's just not that good? If you think our 5'8" safeties are crap, and our coaches think that the 5'8" safeties are still better than Clarke, imagine how mediocre Clarke must be.
200x200px-ZC-a33565e5_right-on-the-nose.gif

The coaches do like him, but not nearly as much as the other DBs still on their board.

So we would take the both of them if they both commit?
My understanding is that yes, we would take both of them. I think we want two more DBs regardless.

My understanding is that yes, we would take both of them. I think we want two more DBs regardless.

That would make for a nice haul at DB, with Brinson and Bradshaw. Those four would provide a much needed shot in the arm for this undermanned group that lacks depth and CB talent.

That would make for a nice haul at DB, with Brinson and Bradshaw. Those four would provide a much needed shot in the arm for this undermanned group that lacks depth and CB talent.
It'd be great, too - Brinson, Bradshaw, Burch, Butler. The Killer Bs.

It'd be great, too - Brinson, Bradshaw, Burch, Butler. The Killer Bs.

Old School WWF, Killer B's.

Attachments

• cb021a56e85c8434652875e2e8b4f39e.jpg
    cb021a56e85c8434652875e2e8b4f39e.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 93

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online