Scott Shafer | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer

SWC75 said:
He's done that at the FCS level and the MAC. I think the ACC may be a bit different, especially in this divsion. Briles went 4-8, 4-8, 7-6, 10-3 at Baylor. That may be closer to what will happen here.

But it's still proof that they can coach up other people's recruits. The talent disparity is greater between the top and bottom - but that's only fixed through recruiting. Look I'm not saying there won't be mistakes or things to learn. Just that I think the way the offensive philosophy meshes with the defensive philosophy combined with the new emphasis on endurance/repeatable speed in S&C makes a lot of sense. I like that there is a holistic approach and that it all seems thought out. We'll see.

He's done that at the FCS level and the MAC. I think the ACC may be a bit different, especially in this divsion. Briles went 4-8, 4-8, 7-6, 10-3 at Baylor. That may be closer to what will happen here.

If that's the progression we see, sign me up. You fail to mention the other 10 win seasons that come after.

It is a proven system that wins. Babers may have only coached at E. Illinois and Bowling Green, but it is proven. Hold back skepticism until October 2017, please.

But it's still proof that they can coach up other people's recruits. The talent disparity is greater between the top and bottom - but that's only fixed through recruiting. Look I'm not saying there won't be mistakes or things to learn. Just that I think the way the offensive philosophy meshes with the defensive philosophy combined with the new emphasis on endurance/repeatable speed in S&C makes a lot of sense. I like that there is a holistic approach and that it all seems thought out. We'll see.

That's what we need: holisitc football! Let's hope it works as well as it did on those last two stops.

If that's the progression we see, sign me up. You fail to mention the other 10 win seasons that come after.

It is a proven system that wins. Babers may have only coached at E. Illinois and Bowling Green, but it is proven. Hold back skepticism until October 2017, please.

I am by nature a hopeful skeptic. I've had too many times when high hopes were crushed. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised and hope to be this year.

That's what we need: holisitc football! Let's hope it works as well as it did on those last two stops.

It may or may not work out - but at least there is a plan where all the parts are meant to help each other. I'm 100% confident that Shafer's plan on O was throw something at the wall and hope it sticks.

And how did his MAC team fare when they played P5 teams?

Pretty good barometer for what to expect.

Welch retires after this year. Schafer would be a great replacement at IC!

If that is case then I hope he gets a DII or DIII job and crushes it. He is a good man and tried his best but it was tough in the P5 without the recruiting base for our program.
Distantly knowing him through several levels of coaching seperation, he is what he shows a football guy who truly cares about everyone around him. That has DIII written all over it.

And how did his MAC team fare when they played P5 teams?

Pretty good barometer for what to expect.
Mixed. The 3 that they beat had a combined 9 wins. The two that they lost to were ranked toward the bottom of the top 25 and beat them by a combined 80 points.

sufandu said:
Mixed. The 3 that they beat had a combined 9 wins. The two that they lost to were ranked toward the bottom of the top 25 and beat them by a combined 80 points.

Exactly. The system will make up some of the talent disparity. But not all of it.

CanadianSU said:
We have more skill than Bowling Green. (I hope)

I'd take their #1 WR over any of ours. Their #2 over everyone but Ishmeal. Their QB was more experienced than Dungey, but I like Eric's upside more. Our RB are better. And I have a hard time judging OL ;).

I'd take their #1 WR over any of ours. Their #2 over everyone but Ishmeal. Their QB was more experienced than Dungey, but I like Eric's upside more. Our RB are better. And I have a hard time judging OL ;).
I know nothing about what their defensive personnel was but I would hope ours is better. Hopefully that is enough to negate some of the better offensive personnel we'll see.

sufandu said:
I know nothing about what their defensive personnel was but I would hope ours is better. Hopefully that is enough to negate some of the better offensive personnel we'll see.

I think so. They were starting two walk-ons. But that's the extent of my prowess as a you tube Bowling Green game watcher.

Exactly. The system will make up some of the talent disparity. But not all of it.

The system + better talent = winning formula

But the cupboard isn't bare, on either side of the ball. This will not be a 2-3 year turnaround. Babers doesn't need "perfect" personnel to win games. He's shown that at two previous stops.

RF2044 said:
The system + better talent = winning formula But the cupboard isn't bare, on either side of the ball. This will not be a 2-3 year turnaround. Babers doesn't need "perfect" personnel to win games. He's shown that at two previous stops.

Agree 100%.

But he does need better personnel to win vs the top 25 consistently.

Agree 100%.

But he does need better personnel to win vs the top 25 consistently.

No argument there. 6-6 won't equate to a top 25 season--but I don't think worrying about the rankings is the "main" objective for this year. I don't think I'm going out on much of a limb to suggest that we've seen the caliber of recruit we're landing improve since Babers arrived [going off of offers]. What will help us take the next steps are winning and showing that we have an exciting product. If Babers can accomplish those two things--and I'm confident that he can--he'll turn the talent base around quickly because kids will want to come to play for an exciting, high scoring team.

It may or may not work out - but at least there is a plan where all the parts are meant to help each other. I'm 100% confident that Shafer's plan on O was throw something at the wall and hope it sticks.

Hopefully, we'll see some holishitstic football in the Dome this fall!

No argument there. 6-6 won't equate to a top 25 season--but I don't think worrying about the rankings is the "main" objective for this year. I don't think I'm going out on much of a limb to suggest that we've seen the caliber of recruit we're landing improve since Babers arrived [going off of offers]. What will help us take the next steps are winning and showing that we have an exciting product. If Babers can accomplish those two things--and I'm confident that he can--he'll turn the talent base around quickly because kids will want to come to play for an exciting, high scoring team.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, and set aside the possibility that he may be a headcase, how perfect would Robert Washington have been in this offense?:(

I guess we'd better fire him now, then.

Or be patient. I'm just worried that people who expect an immediate turn-around will be disappointed and that could make them less patient than I think they are going to need to be. I'm as optimistic about Babers being a success here as anyone. I just think it will take some time, just as it did at Baylor.

Or be patient. I'm just worried that people who expect an immediate turn-around will be disappointed and that could make them less patient than I think they are going to need to be. I'm as optimistic about Babers being a success here as anyone. I just think it will take some time, just as it did at Baylor.

It isn't wrong to expect an immediate turnaround from general ineptitude and widespread dysfunction that led to the craptastic product we saw on the field.

For perspective, there's a difference between seeing a team that can execute, score points, and seems generally well coached and a team being OPTIMIZED. Nobody expects the roster to be optimized, or the team to be 100% comfortable after being immersed in new systems on both sides of the ball for only an off-season. But despite not having optimal talent / experience, I think this team can still win this year and get to a bowl, and in general look better doing so that perhaps all but one team we've had since 1999. That's what I expect from Dino Babers and his staff--and I don't think we'll need to wait until year 3 to see winning football played.

Last edited: