Scott Shafer | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer

At the risk of hijacking this thread, and set aside the possibility that he may be a headcase, how perfect would Robert Washington have been in this offense?:(

May be? I'm not sure he even made it to Charlotte.

It isn't wrong to expect an immediate turnaround from general ineptitude and widespread dysfunction that led to the craptastic product we saw on the field.

For perspective, there's a difference between seeing a team that can execute, score points, and seems generally well coached and a team being OPTIMIZED. Nobody expects the roster to be optimized, or the team to be 100% comfortable after being immersed in new systems on both sides of the ball for only an off-season. But despite not having optimal talent / experience, I think this team can still win this year and get to a bowl, and in general look better doing so that perhaps all but one team we've had since 1999. That's what I expect from Dino Babers and his staff--and I don't think we'll need to wait until year 3 to see winning football played.
I don't think it's wrong to expect a better functioning cohesive team, but some expectations on here are going beyond that. I've seen a number of, "If we don't put up 40 every game I'll be disappointed," posts. I think those expectations need to be tempered. BG averaged 42 in year 2 against mostly MAC teams.

I don't think it's wrong to expect a better functioning cohesive team, but some expectations on here are going beyond that. I've seen a number of, "If we don't put up 40 every game I'll be disappointed," posts. I think those expectations need to be tempered. BG averaged 42 in year 2 against mostly MAC teams.
And that number is padded by scoring big points against the dregs of the league.

I don't think the two (Babers O and Shafer's D) pair well. Too much risk.

True, but i will miss the attacking defensive style! Part of the Tampa 2 love is the bend but dont break approach actually giving the offense a blow for a few minutes at least. I know it sounds twisted, but may ne true.

The irony with Pitt is that if Shafer is going to be coaching there, he's now going to be coaching Chris Clark after all.

That's true of every team. Irrelevant.
No they don't and every data point is relevant when trying to come up with a projection with sparse commonality .

I don't know what has gone on or is going on in his life, so I was not going to assume anything.

A building is only as good as it's foundation and if a player keeps changing schools and even families, it at least makes it hard to build a career or a life.

A building is only as good as it's foundation and if a player keeps changing schools and even families, it at least makes it hard to build a career or a life.
True, but I've known more than one kid that needed to escape a family situation, and, up to this point, he has been just a kid. I wish him the best and hope he has found stability.

No they don't and every data point is relevant when trying to come up with a projection with sparse commonality .

It's irrelevant because every good team beats up on the weaker teams on their schedule. You don't think that Ohio State or Alabama or LSU or any other team's scoring, yardage, and margin of victory stats aren't padded by the tune up games they play on their schedule [or in the SECs case, those inexplicable mid-season mid-tier conference matchups they inexplicably schedule]?

Teams that can wrack up yardage / points against teams they can dominate. Doing so isn't something to worry about--NOT being able to do so is.

You seem really hung up on the notion that the only reason BG produced big numbers was due to a weak schedule--I'm calling BS on that theory.

It's irrelevant because every good team beats up on the weaker teams on their schedule. You don't think that Ohio State or Alabama or LSU or any other team's scoring, yardage, and margin of victory stats aren't padded by the tune up games they play on their schedule [or in the SECs case, those inexplicable mid-season mid-tier conference matchups they inexplicably schedule]?

Teams that can wrack up yardage / points against teams they can dominate. Doing so isn't something to worry about--NOT being able to do so is.

You seem really hung up on the notion that the only reason BG produced big numbers was due to a weak schedule--I'm calling BS on that theory.
I think some teams let off of the gas more than others. One that keeps it to the floor with a 3 td lead in the 4th (Baylor) will inflate their numbers as compared to one that kills the clock with the same lead (Alabama).

I think some teams let off of the gas more than others. One that keeps it to the floor with a 3 td lead in the 4th (Baylor) will inflate their numbers as compared to one that kills the clock with the same lead (Alabama).
I'm all for having a system that keeps the foot on the gas.

I refer to Bobby Bowden's famous quote to a complaining opponent about running up the score, "It's not my job to hold down the score. That's your job."

The system + better talent = winning formula

But the cupboard isn't bare, on either side of the ball. This will not be a 2-3 year turnaround. Babers doesn't need "perfect" personnel to win games. He's shown that at two previous stops.
it is not full either. he is now playing p5 week in and out. i believe he is a very coach who will deliver in a year or two. i am concerned more about the d than the o. as i have said , i look for improvement in stamina attitude cohesion and coaching decisions. we need to be competitive, especially in the "big games". if there is an upset i think it is nd.

According to CoachingSearch.com:

"Scott Shafer: The former Syracuse head coach is in the mix for multiple defensive coordinator positions. Shafer joined the Maryland staff as defensive coordinator last offseason, but resigned in April due to personal reasons. Shafer was a defensive coordinator at five schools from 2000-12, before the promotion to Syracuse head coach."

According to CoachingSearch.com:

"Scott Shafer: The former Syracuse head coach is in the mix for multiple defensive coordinator positions. Shafer joined the Maryland staff as defensive coordinator last offseason, but resigned in April due to personal reasons. Shafer was a defensive coordinator at five schools from 2000-12, before the promotion to Syracuse head coach."
Wake? Can't remember if Shaf liked Clawson or not...