Send 200 Kids to the Texas Bowl-NunesMagician | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Send 200 Kids to the Texas Bowl-NunesMagician

I forwarded the link to Andrea Adelson and Heather Dinich who are the ACC bloggers on ESPN.com. Hopefully they pick up on the story today.

Well done, with all these former Newhousers (myself included) we should help Sean wage a full on public affairs campaign to grow donations and spread the word. We need local assignment editor contact info for the Houston market.

Okay, Let's Just Send #AllTheKids To The Texas Bowl
By Sean KeeleyNunesMagician on Dec 17 2013, 9:00a 13
20131108_sng_ai8_059.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
200 kids? We're way past sending 200 kids to the Texas Bowl to root on the Orange...
I have to be honest, when I pressed submit and posted the Let's Send 200 Kids To The Texas Bowl donation request, I figured we'd probably get close to our goal of raising $12K by Friday, but we might not reach it.
We reached $12,000 by roughly 7pm EST Monday evening.
A lot has changed in the past 24 hours. I wanted to take a moment to catch everyone up where we stands...
How Much Money Have We Raised?: As of Midnight last night, we raised $18,297.23. I lost count of how many people donated. Approving donations was how I spend my entire day, you jerks. Those donations ranged from $5 to $2,000. There were SO many $44 donations. I blacked out at some point. It was nuts.
What Changed During The Day?: Originally, we had been offered tickets for $50 each. When the Texas Bowl saw how well we were doing, they dropped the ticket price to $20. So, as you might imagine, that means we are going to send a LOT more than 200 kids to the Texas Bowl. Without accounting for fees and chaperones and things like that, we're looking at about 500 kids right now. AND IT'S TUESDAY.
What Kind Of Deadlines & Cutoffs Are We Working With? The Texas Bowl doesn't seem to have any kind of limit for how many tickets we can purchase, so until you hear otherwise, assume that we can send 1,000+ kids to this game (assuming we can find 1,000 kids. HOUSTON CHILDREN, WE ARE COMING FOR YOU AND WE ARE BRINGING HOT DOG VOUCHERS WITH US). We now also have until Monday the 23rd to sell tickets instead of the 20th.
That said, there will be a cut-off for t-shirt ordering before then. Probably Thursday or Friday. So some kinds might not get orange t-shirts. We'll try to order enough but don't hold me to it.
Where The Heck Are These Kids Coming From? We already had the Houston Texans YMCA on hand to send over kids to the game. We now also will be sending kids from The Depelchin Children's Center. The Texans organization is also reaching out to other children's groups to see if they're interested.
We Can't Fit Them All In Sections 135 & 136, Can We? No, we can't. So the Texas Bowl is opening up some more sections for us. They might not be lower-level like those initial ones but they'll be big blocks full of orange-clad kids. So…it's all good.
Are The Band & Otto Involved? Yessir! SUMB will hand out cheer sheets for the kids so they can sing along while Otto stops by and poses for pics.
Are These Tickets Going To Count Towards The SU Allotment? I said they would but I realized today that they might not. Don't freak out, I'm trying to make them count towards our allotment. Miscommunication on my part and I'm doing what I can to make these tickets 100% Syracuse-y.
Does Coach Shafer Know? Coach Shafer knows. #Hardnosed.
What's Our New Goal? Honestly? I don't even know anymore. 200 used to seem barely attainable. Now, 1,000 seems possible. So let's do that. Let's raise enough money to send ONE THOUSAND KIDS to the Texas Bowl to root on the Syracuse Orange.
Should I Tell Other People About This? Yes, you goofball. Tweet it. Tumblr it. Facebook it. If Google Plus were still alive, you could put it there, too...

This is awesome. I do worry that with the increased attention this is getting, that he will have way more money than he'll know what to do with. Good problem to have though, for sure. Perhaps if there is a considerable amount of extra money, he could start a local non-profit that can work with local schools and youth programs to send local kids to SU games on a regular basis.

is there a phone number or something as the site will not accept my credit card as it keeps denying the year it expires and I use the card all the time. It also said my address was incorrect once and accepted the year on that try.

it's a visa card and maybe my bank will not allow these types of transactions

i'm lost on this

Last edited:
This is awesome. I do worry that with the increased attention this is getting, that he will have way more money than he'll know what to do with. Good problem to have though, for sure. Perhaps if there is a considerable amount of extra money, he could start a local non-profit that can work with local schools and youth programs to send local kids to SU games on a regular basis.

Wonderful idea.

Another thought would be to reach out to the local military groups.

I have often wondered if there is some way to organize a system for those with season tickets to donate their seats for games they can't attend. We have season tickets but we can only get to the dome for a couple of games. Since we are 600 miles away we usually know well ahead of time which games we are going to attend. I would rather donate them than to try and sell them.

I have often wondered if there is some way to organize a system for those with season tickets to donate their seats for games they can't attend. We have season tickets but we can only get to the dome for a couple of games. Since we are 600 miles away we usually know well ahead of time which games we are going to attend. I would rather donate them than to try and sell them.
Georgetown actually does a good job at this -- after you buy tickets, one of the drop down menu options (where you can also print them or forward them on to a friend) is an option to donate them (to the local Boys & Girls Club, I believe).

It's certainly an interesting non-profit idea that I think could partner with other organizations so that it's more than just a ticket distributor