Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to see what he can really do? Let’s see:
he has been at three high schools in 3 years, committed to a college before visiting, decommitted from a college before visiting, lost the confidence of three coaching staffs that worked with him on his skills to get him to this level. And he is going to showcase his skills to other colleges because he never really had the chance to drum up interest.

The problem with this is his recruitment will probably be closer to the norm in the future.

what a weirdo.

shows a lot of insecurity and ignorance here...

he's obviously not coming back...but I hope the coaches have closed the door on him.

People need to realize we’re not a Blue Blood and we’re probably and the bottom side of tier two or possibly tier three at this point.
Puhleeze. Speak for yourself as far as "realizing" anything. Nobody I've seen has suggested we're a KU, UNC, Duke, UK- Tier 1 program, not anyone credible anyway. But I'll put up our history vs anyone else's in Tier 2- in spite of the overall self-loathing that permeates some in our fanbase.
When we win, people pay attention- that's how it works. We're the lead story damn near every 2nd weekend in March, because our system has a tendency to get to Sweet 16's. Ask any cbb fan about Syracuse basketball and our HC and 2-3 Zone are household entities. That's a fact, whether its here in the Carolina's or numerous other folks whenever I bring up Syracuse, and I work for a multinational w/ domestic/international locations whom I communicate w/ daily.
We're not where we'd all like to be obviously, but I refuse to let some random decommit from some HS kid in the NIL Era no less, distract me from seeing the forest for the trees. Its not nearly that deep. JMHO

People need to realize we’re not a Blue Blood and we’re probably and the bottom side of tier two or possibly tier three at this point.
Oh, i realize that [the 'blue blood' part—not sure about the 'tiers!']. I just don't like it expressed so non-chalantly by a teenager. He'll learn to be more diplomatic, but at this point, he's a kid being interviewed and as they say, 'children' can be horrifyingly honest.

He committed unexpectedly before some of the key EYBL tourneys then once cleared and with time to think de-committed. He is a kid and this is about him far more than being about us. Take that for what you will but I'm not losing sleep over it. If you don't want to come here then don't. We can't turn SU into UK and we can't move the University to a major market with hundreds of millions to throw around. It is what it is at this point. We got two so far and hopefully two more coming maybe 3. Most being top 100.

Number 10 in this one measuring since 2000. Sure times are changing but we are still currently a national brand in hoops and a Tier 2 under the Top 4 or 5 big dogs.

We’re not a blue blood, sure. But Kansas is the only school above us on that list. Maryland is on the same level as us. But Auburn, Arizona State and Georgia don’t even come close either historically or in current stature. We’ve been to two Final Fours in the past decade alone. I’m curious: What schools do you think are in Tiers 2 and 3? And how are you rating the tiers?

Last edited:
He committed unexpectedly before some of the key EYBL tourneys then once cleared and with time to think de-committed. He is a kid and this is about him far more than being about us. Take that for what you will but I'm not losing sleep over it. If you don't want to come here then don't. We can't turn SU into UK and we can't move the University to a major market with hundreds of millions to throw around. It is what it is at this point. We got two so far and hopefully two more coming maybe 3. Most being top 100.
Major market? Can you elaborate?

Major market? Can you elaborate?

NYC for example. Gigantic major hoops market. It's not just being big city it's being a big hoops market with lots of investors and buyers. Some programs have the forever legacy and dominance with a massive national market, others have geographic advantages there are a lot of scenarios. We have a brand but it's not true blue blood nationally. Location wise we aren't in a high wealth locale. We do have a strong alumni base with decent resources but we aren't like the larger state schools.

My point is we will always have our challenges as we always have even with JB. Add the NIL and the new pro leagues and it's even more competitive. It's not a death sentence just a reality when dealing with top kids who are extremely high maintenance.

I am still completely ok with our class so far. Looking forward to Carey, Bunch and hopeful on JJ.

Last edited:
NYC for example. Gigantic major hoops market. It's not just being big city it's being a big hoops market with lots of investors and buyers. Some programs have the forever legacy and dominance with a massive national market, others have geographic advantages there are a lot of scenarios. We have a brand but it's not true blue blood nationally. Location wise we aren't in a high wealth locale. We do have a strong alumni base with decent resources but we aren't like the larger state schools.

My point is we will always have our challenges as we always have even with JB. Add the NIL and the new pro leagues and it's even more competitive. It's not a death sentence just a reality when dealing with top kids who are extremely high maintenance.

I am still completely ok with our class so far. Looking forward to Carey, Bunch and hopeful on JJ.
Is St John’s or Fordham or any schools in NYC major powers? Most college basketball powers are in mid-sized cities so they’re the only game in town and don’t have to compete with the big pro teams. Except for UCLA, none of the traditional blue blood powers or even second and third tier ones are located in major cities.

Am I crazy here? What did he say that was insulting?

- he did commit early, he never even visited campus, the commitment even took the staff by surprise. When we were on him I know people were confused by his offer list for being a top 30 kid. So when he said he didn’t really experience the recruitment process, that is absolutely true. Granted, it was his choice to commit early. But now with things opening back up, maybe he does want to take all his OVs

- you could tell he couldn’t come up with the word when describing us. I took it as he was comfortable with us and the staff and it felt right when he committed. He did say “safety school” but it seemed like it was just a poorly chosen word to describe us, I don’t think it was on purpose.

- he did not have a lot of west coast offers and now he’s playing in AZ where get plenty of eyes from west coast coaches

I definitely wouldn’t say “f this kid” - he committed early and regretted it, it happens. His offer list wasn’t fantastic when he committed to us, and look it now, he was right.

Listen, we didn’t miss out on anyone by him decommiting. It is absolutely a crappy thing to do, but I don’t think it’s as bad as people are making it out to be. Based on that interview you could tell he probably wasn’t able to fully articulate his reasoning but I don’t think it’s any different than any other kid who reopens his recruiting. And with NIL being around now, but not when he committed, i get it too.

hes 16 making one of the biggest decisions which could ultimately determine where he ends up in life. So let’s not say “f him” because he doesn’t choose our school. Not every kid will bleed Orange.

I find it hilarious that people are mad at Kamari but then are mad at JB for Kadary (instead of being mad at KR). The people who are frustrated with Kamari should be less upset with him and more upset at someone like Kadary

Glad this kid isn’t coming he’s a headcase
what if schools start telling their commits to fake commit to another school and make it harder to hve a good class...then bail at the last minute and come to the school they planned on all along?

F this kid. We were his safety school during COVID. Nothing more.

have to agree he shouldn’t have used the safety school thing but he’s a young kid so can’t be too critical.

what if schools start telling their commits to fake commit to another school and make it harder to hve a good class...then bail at the last minute and come to the school they planned on all along?

Well, I don't think colleges are doing that, but High Schools and Prep Schools likely are.

Croots have been doing this exact thing w/ Rutgers Football for ages now.
"Commit" early, then see if/when better offers come along, and bounce.

Rutgers has a who's-who list of former big name 'croots who ended up elsewhere in the B1G.

We’re not a blue blood, sure. But Kansas is the only school above us on that list. Maryland is on the same level as us. But Auburn, Arizona State and Georgia don’t even come close either historically or in current stature. We’ve been to two Final Fours in the past decade alone. I’m curious: What schools do you think are in Tiers 2 and 3? And how are you rating the tiers?
Maryland is not on the same level as us..honestly not even close

Is St John’s or Fordham or any schools in NYC major powers? Most college basketball powers are in mid-sized cities so they’re the only game in town and don’t have to compete with the big pro teams. Except for UCLA, none of the traditional blue blood powers or even second and third tier ones are located in major cities.

I didn't at all say only major markets in terms of large cities. I covered the logic. If folks want to think we are a blue blood in an ideal market and thus should be thriving in the future tense of hoops and the NIL then so be it but I disagree and think it's a bit short sighted to not recognize our own challenges to overcome. . Not going to rewrite my previous post as it's far more than just about NYC. It's a combination of factors.

Am I crazy here? What did he say that was insulting?

- he did commit early, he never even visited campus, the commitment even took the staff by surprise. When we were on him I know people were confused by his offer list for being a top 30 kid. So when he said he didn’t really experience the recruitment process, that is absolutely true. Granted, it was his choice to commit early. But now with things opening back up, maybe he does want to take all his OVs

- you could tell he couldn’t come up with the word when describing us. I took it as he was comfortable with us and the staff and it felt right when he committed. He did say “safety school” but it seemed like it was just a poorly chosen word to describe us, I don’t think it was on purpose.

- he did not have a lot of west coast offers and now he’s playing in AZ where get plenty of eyes from west coast coaches

I definitely wouldn’t say “f this kid” - he committed early and regretted it, it happens. His offer list wasn’t fantastic when he committed to us, and look it now, he was right.

Listen, we didn’t miss out on anyone by him decommiting. It is absolutely a crappy thing to do, but I don’t think it’s as bad as people are making it out to be. Based on that interview you could tell he probably wasn’t able to fully articulate his reasoning but I don’t think it’s any different than any other kid who reopens his recruiting. And with NIL being around now, but not when he committed, i get it too.

hes 16 making one of the biggest decisions which could ultimately determine where he ends up in life. So let’s not say “f him” because he doesn’t choose our school. Not every kid will bleed Orange.

I find it hilarious that people are mad at Kamari but then are mad at JB for Kadary (instead of being mad at KR). The people who are frustrated with Kamari should be less upset with him and more upset at someone like Kadary
You're probably referring to my post. I amplified his words. I think he said something like choosing Syracuse was like a 'security' move—like he wanted to lock something in. And i sarcastically referred to that as us being his "safety school."

I also, though, characterized that as just being a kid being interviewed and that he just wasn't sophisticated/'media mature' enough to come up with the more diplomatic way of saying something that is actually practical and honest.

Was it "insulting?" Yeah, a bit. But, i think i've also said further up-thread that his decision to withdraw makes sense—he committed early, without a visit, and the NIL landscape has changed. A lot of the snark you're going to continue to see about Lands is from our position as having been 'spurned' yet again. Prolly shouldn't take it that seriously. I think most of us would be very cool with it if he re-evaluated his situation and he found the NIL situation actually would work for him here, and he re-committed. Or maybe i'm just speaking for myself... Not saying i anticipate that at all—but i welcome it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom