Class of 2015 - SG Malachi Richardson (NJ) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 SG Malachi Richardson (NJ) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it when I first saw Briscoe play as a sophomore, and I'm saying it again now: good lord, he's a clone of Dion Waiters.
Kid's a bull. Ned the bull.
original.jpg

Do you remember the very first kid you came on the board to tell us about when you were in HS? Think it was a NYC kid.

You THINK it was an NYC kid? I gotta think you're joking with that one. You must recall Francis went to St. Ray's with that particular Mickey D.

I agree with all of that. My problem is the pot shots bpo has taken. The whole I've forgotten more than you have ever known approach, and the "my friends got a real laugh when I told them malichi was a Mcdonalds all american". That kind of shitt really bothers me, and he's not the only one that does it. I know of a few others that do it, and praise the Lord for the ignore button!

BPO is a longtime poster, but honestly has always been a guy to argue with people. He's a smart poster, and I don't doubt that he's seen Mali and been less than impressed. But against the top competition in the country this summer, Mali did very well. He did make the McDonald's team, after all. Regular HS is not as important to the kids these days as AAU ball, unless they play for some super-stacked team that plays a national schedule on ESPN.

Kid's a bull. Ned the bull.
original.jpg

Ridiculously uselsss movie trivia fact:the actor above who played Ned was in "Single White Female." He was the guy who was sexually harassing Bridget Fonda's character when she was designing a website for him. He took a stiletto to the "lower lumbar region" as the late, great Gorilla Monsoon would say.

Last edited:
BPO is a longtime poster, but honestly has always been a guy to argue with people. He's a smart poster, and I don't doubt that he's seen Mali and been less than impressed. But against the top competition in the country this summer, Mali did very well. He did make the McDonald's team, after all. Regular HS is not as important to the kids these days as AAU ball, unless they play for some super-stacked team that plays a national schedule on ESPN.

Malachi is going to be awesome. He shoots the ball well from a variety of positions on the floor and in a variety of ways (step-backs, pull-ups, catch and shoot). He just needs to bring it on defense and on the glass. With our depth, I'm sure he'll step up next year, in order to earn some playing time.

...and his hair is All-American from day one.:D

IthacaMatt said:
You THINK it was an NYC kid? I gotta think you're joking with that one. You must recall Francis went to St. Ray's with that particular Mickey D.

Yes but I wasn't sure he was the first player Francis told us about from NYC.

Last edited:
Ridiculously uselsss movie trivia fact:the actor above who played Ned was in "Single White Female." He was the guy who was s e xually harassing Bridget Fonda's character when she was designing a website for him. He took a stiletto to the "lower lumbar region" as the late, great Gorilla MOnsoon would say.
If you want a good interview with him: http://www.avclub.com/article/stephen-tobolowsky-59769

Now, back to Malachi I go!

Just call em' as I see em', Matt. Certainly very opinionated. Sound familiar?

As for Mali, he is definitely a talented player. Positives: NBA type body, excellent stroke and a solid passer who doesn't hog the ball. Weaknesses: his handle needs work as he has difficulty breaking down defenders and is not all that interested in posting up smaller players. The times I have seen him play he did not play with any intensity nor was he interested in defending or rebounding. Notice in the film of the Roselle Catholic game above how MR is never matched up on Briscoe.

I can't speak to the AAU play but the idea of only getting up for certain games is suspect imo. In any event, people I know here in Mercer County, who know the game and have watched MR play many more times than anybody on this board, have the same take on his game as me. Kid has plenty of potential but from reading the main hoops board I think his contribution next year will not meet the expectations held by several of those folks.

The times I have seen him play he did not play with any intensity nor was he interested in defending or rebounding. Notice in the film of the Roselle Catholic game above how MR is never matched up on Briscoe.

I saw highlights of the game and there were some possessions where MR and IB were matched up against each other. Malachi did defend Briscoe on at least one play (maybe it was after a switch). The fact that his coach decided not to put MR on Briscoe might not be a slight on Malachi's defense. It could've been just a strategic coaching decision. They seemed to be trying to outdo each other, based on their body language after each player would make a shot. Maybe the Trenton Catcholic coach was dissuading Malachi from the mano y mano mentality, so he decided not to put him on Briscoe. Or maybe Malachi was guarding the two-guard for Roselle Catholic, since Malachi is a two?

I agree with you that Malachi's defense needs work but the part of your post I quoted seems overblown.

I saw highlights of the game and there were some possessions where MR and IB were matched up against each other. Malachi did defend Briscoe on at least one play (maybe it was after a switch). The fact that his coach decided not to put MR on Briscoe might not be a slight on Malachi's defense. It could've been just a strategic coaching decision. They seemed to be trying to outdo each other, based on their body language after each player would make a shot. Maybe the Trenton Catcholic coach was dissuading Malachi from the mano y mano mentality, so he decided not to put him on Briscoe. Or maybe Malachi was guarding the two-guard for Roselle Catholic, since Malachi is a two?

I agree with you that Malachi's defense needs work but the part of your post I quoted seems overblown.

My view of MR's defense is based on the times I have seen him play in person and not necessarily the RC game. You're right it might have been a coach's decision based on what the coach thought was the best match-up for his team. The film I watched showed the one switch you referenced.

My view of MR's defense is based on the times I have seen him play in person and not necessarily the RC game. You're right it might have been a coach's decision based on what the coach thought was the best match-up for his team. The film I watched showed the one switch you referenced.

Yeah, that play was fugly. Briscoe with the blow-by. Again, I agree with you on MR's defense but if he learns to move his feet in the zone and get his hands up (unlike Kaleb this year), he could be a force up there with his length and athleticism. JB will not tolerate nonchalant defense next year because he can use a hook as a deterrent.

Last edited:
Good for Malachi on being named the Player of the Year. I hope like crazy his game translates really, really well to the next level. It's been awhile since we've had a true 2-guard (who got to play the 2-guard position exclusively, anyway) with his size and skill set.

http://.com/richardson-named-new-jersey-player-of-the-year/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors