Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 177 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't believe it's already set in stone that Lydon would be coming off the bench. JB doesn't seem like the, "ok guys - who wants to volunteer to be 6th man."

If I am betting, my money is on Roberson to be the 6th guy.

That could be, someone with a lot of talent is going to have to be the 6th man. Not a bad problem to have.

Understand why people don't think Lydon should come off the bench. Just my belief that he will be that guy, and will be fine with it. He is our best player, so it seems odd. I think he can still get all the accolades, if he plays up to his expectations regardless if he starts and plays 35, or comes off the bench and plays 35.

No clue who starts but if Dion Waiters was good with coming off the bench I'm sure Lydon will be good with coming off the bench, not saying that's the case but let's just say Lydon is a hell of a lot more humble than Dion ever was.

I just don't believe it's already set in stone that Lydon would be coming off the bench. JB doesn't seem like the, "ok guys - who wants to volunteer to be 6th man."

If I am betting, my money is on Roberson to be the 6th guy.

It's not a volunteer thing. Why should Robey lose his spot, as a senior? White isn't coming to be the 6th man when he's the true 3 on the team. Duany worked hard, and was rewarded. Roberson has done the same and isn't being benched, IMO. In the end, starting doesn't matter to JB. It's been proven countless times. Not sure why I'm discussing what I've hated reading. Knowing AW will be here, just causes other discussions I guess.

But, maybe I'm special. In not a good way.

No clue who starts but if Dion Waiters was good with coming off the bench I'm sure Lydon will be good with coming off the bench, not saying that's the case but let's just say Lydon is a hell of a lot more humble than Dion ever was.

I suppose it depends what you mean by dion was good coming off the bench. He almost transferred because of it.

I've definitely got a case of "White Thread Fatigue". I find myself longing for the occasion when I click on Syracusefan.com and see the post, "White is Orange!" White, Orange... whatever the color... color me ready for this thing to be over.

How in the heck do you not start your best frontcourt player? I'm so confused by all the rationalization, explanation and strange reasoning just so we can still start Roberson. :noidea:

Lyndon is going to be All ACC and possibly AA good this year.
Dion was All BE. I like what the other poster said about bringing him in early and creating and instant mismatch. Depending on how the other team is playing would dictate who comes out. If White can play the front and back of the zone, it will be unfair for other teams.

My worry about Robey off the bench is if he's not "plugged in", it doesn't help us. And for some I think if he STARTS on the bench, he has no chance of being plugged into the game.

I believe you need a 6th man who can come in and get buckets right away - they can be a momentum swing if the game started off poorly; Robey is not that type of player IMO.

While I don't see our starting offense being as stagnant as last year (if Lydon is the 6th man), it's a nice luxury. I think Gillon/Battle/White with a few feeds to DC in the post in the first 4 minutes will get us off to good starts more often than not. Imagine starting hot, getting to like 12 pts by the 16min TO then bringing in Lydon for Robey? Talk about stepping on the throat early...

I suppose it depends what you mean by dion was good coming off the bench. He almost transferred because of it.

Not exactly true. He almost "transferred" -- i.e., was pushed out the door by Boeheim after his freshman year -- due to attitude problems and a perceived lack of coachability. Dion was shocked by that, and then pledged to get in line. Which he did, working hard that offseason to get in peak shape and demonstrate a better ability to play with others.

Who knows if his attitude issues would have re-manifested in 2012? Winning big has a way of "curing" many problems. So, en route to going 30-1 in the regular season, Dion was "fine" with coming off the bench? Had we gone 23-8? Who knows. But he didn't nearly "transfer" due to coming off the bench.

Why would someone set on committing this week - as early as tomorrow, telling multiple players and advisers (?) so, purposely avoid the coaching staff to the point of frustration? Bizarre.

At least neither the 100%-ers nor the unconvinced are getting attacked personally any longer. Which is nice.

How in the heck do you not start your best frontcourt player? I'm so confused by all the rationalization, explanation and strange reasoning just so we can still start Roberson. :noidea:

Lyndon is going to be All ACC and possibly AA good this year.

If White is playing well Roberson may be the odd man out.

I've definitely got a case of "White Thread Fatigue". I find myself longing for the occasion when I click on Syracusefan.com and see the post, "White is Orange!" White, Orange... whatever the color... color me ready for this thing to be over.

Most of the other recruiting threads have 4 or 5 posts.

Why do so many folks have Roberson locked in as a starter over Lydon? I find it doubtful it was promised to him... Is it because of a lack of Roberson's versatility coming off the bench?
Apparently many here think Roberson has a bad attitude and is not a "team player" while Lydon is a saint. The latter may be true but I don't know where the former comes from.

Apparently many here think Roberson has a bad attitude and is not a "team player" while Lydon is a saint. The latter may be true but I don't know where the former comes from.
I'm not sure that I have been reading that Roberson has an attitude problem. The concern I share with a few, is that TRob needs to be properly motivated in order to perform as he did throughout the NCAA Tournament. If he feels slighted by coming off the bench, he may not have that motivation. I think he could still have that motivation, but the coaches have to prepare him each game, so that he comes in like a firecracker. The hope with Lydon starting would be that offensively we would be rolling. Then when TRob and others come in, we could demoralize the opposition with defense and rebounding.

I'm not sure that I have been reading that Roberson has an attitude problem. The concern I share with a few, is that TRob needs to be properly motivated in order to perform as he did throughout the NCAA Tournament. If he feels slighted by coming off the bench, he may not have that motivation. I think he could still have that motivation, but the coaches have to prepare him each game, so that he comes in like a firecracker. The hope with Lydon starting would be that offensively we would be rolling. Then when TRob and others come in, we could demoralize the opposition with defense and rebounding.
So starting TR eliminates the 1st concern and we demoralize then roll! ;)

So starting TR eliminates the 1st concern and we demoralize then roll! ;)
Who knows, and who knows if that will properly motivate TR. I hope that whether he starts or not, he will understand how important he is, and what he brings to the team when he is playing like the beast.

I totally agree. But I think Lydon promises firepower off the bench that can't be matched. Robey doesn't.
With that logic why doesn't every team start their scrubs and bring their best players off the bench?

He's a senior. JB doesn't bench his seniors.
52634236-head-coach-jim-boeheim-of-the-syracuse-gettyimages.jpg

Although I wouldn't consider being the "sixth man" and likely the fourth or fifth most minutes (as long as he maintains productivity) as being "benched."

Plus, Robey is a force when his motor is running. Usually the 6th man is an offensive threat. Lydon won't be on the bench longer than the first media timeout all year. And only that long if there isn't a whistle before that.
I'm sure Roberson will love getting pulled at the 17:30 mark every game. That's way better than coming in off the bench.

Please don't put words in people's mouths. I have never heard anyone say Roberson has a bad attitude. I've heard at times he was not putting in his best effort. I have heard he is a shy kid. But I've never heard he is not a team player.

btw, Lydon is an Orange saint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors