Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that it is just a matter of getting his transcripts and application paperwork in order to make sure he is accepted/qualified academically for a grad program. Once the i's are dotted and t's crossed, there'll be an announcement.

After Malachi declared and SU wasn't mentioned as a landing spot for a lot of the grad and traditional transfers and with the possibility of an 8-man roster, I was like:

200.gif

But now I'm like:
200.gif
i dont remember, how quickly after Gillon visited did he announce his decision??

Andrew White makes us a preseason top 10 team. The ACC would have 4 top 10 teams. Duke, Virginia, North Carolina, Syracuse.

This get would make a legit NC contender. He would provide the Malachi/Wes Johnson offense.

Battle gets the PG. Howard backup PG minutes.
Gillon/White get the SG minutes.
White/Lydon split the SF minutes.
Lydon/Roberson get the PF minutes.
Coleman/Chuwku get the C minutes.
Thompson/Moyer get an education in Boeheim U and start in 2017.

Andrew White makes us a preseason top 10 team. The ACC would have 4 top 10 teams. Duke, Virginia, North Carolina, Syracuse.

This get would make a legit NC contender. He would provide the Malachi/Wes Johnson offense.

Agree 100% with the first part of your post. For the lineup, I see it differently:

Gillon starts at Point--literally zero doubt about that in my mind, based upon what I'm hearing. Howard garners backup PG minutes.
Battle starts at SG, with White providing no more than token minutes there. In actuality, the three guards will get the bulk of the minutes, playing in various combinations
White is the clear cut 3. Lydon / Moyer can fill in here a bit, as can Battle.
Coleman/Chuwku get the C minutes, with Lydon potentially filling in @ the pivot in our super scoring lineup.
Thompson/Moyer are probably the odd men out this year, but both are good enough to be contributors and will probably end up playing MCW frosh type of minutes that leave many wanting more.

I think SU would be top 3 ACC, and very much competitive with Duke and UNC for the top spot. I think UVA is overblown based on their regular season performance the past few years. They lost a lot. They have good freshman coming in + the kid from Memphis but I think they take a step back. Still a good squad, but more like a 4-6 seed in the tourney.

Agree 100% with the first part of your post. For the lineup, I see it differently:

Gillon starts at Point--literally zero doubt about that in my mind, based upon what I'm hearing. Howard garners backup PG minutes.
Battle starts at SG, with White providing no more than token minutes there. In actuality, the three guards will get the bulk of the minutes, playing in various combinations
Coleman/Chuwku get the C minutes, with Lydon potentially filling in @ the pivot in our super scoring lineup.
Thompson/Moyer are probably the odd men out this year, but both are good enough to be contributors and will probably end up playing MCW frosh type of minutes that leave many wanting more.
If the coaching staff promised Battle the PG job we have to honor that promise. That is why I think Battle starts with the ball in his hand and if he handles it he keeps it. If he struggles then I agree move him off the ball.

If the coaching staff promised Battle the PG job we have to honor that promise. That is why I think Battle starts with the ball in his hand and if he handles it he keeps it. If he struggles then I agree move him off the ball.
Battle is under the impression he's playing guard, not necessarily point guard.

I don't think Battle was promised to be the point guard, only that he would have the ball in his hands a lot. Gillon is a good distributor and ball handler. I would expect that he will bring the ball up, but Battle will get a lot of opportunities to create on offense.

From an SI article on his commitment:
Battle said Syracuse views him “more as a combo guard—play the point a little bit, play the two a little bit.”

PT – the way I see it, if AW3 comes on board.

Across the 160 minutes at the 1-4, in games that matter, pretty confident minutes will break out as follows. These could be +/- 3-5 minutes, particularly between JG and FH.

TL – 35 min (25 3 / 10 4)
TR – 30 min (30 4)
AW3 – 30 min (20 2 / 10 3)
JG – 25 min (25 1)
TB – 25 min (20 2 / 5 3)
FH – 15 min (15 1)

DC / PC split the C spot of course, could be 20/20, 30/10, 10/30, depending on how PC has developed, and if DC takes a big step forward

TL is our most indispensable player and is on the court more than anyone. A very well balanced lineup, 1-5.

TT / MM play pre-season but not vs the big boys.

Now we just need to land AW3….

^^^ if White makes it here I agree with those "looks". I will say this though...Coach B is going to have to do some of his best coaching next year as there are a number of new parts that will need to work together. On paper team looks great but need all those new parts working well together (that includes understanding and execution of Syracuse zone concepts). I am really interested in seeing if Lydon looks to take the leadership mantle next year and looks to make it his team...with Gillon also...I think Gillon surprises...

I think he was promised that the ball would be in his hands. And that promise was made when the roster makeup was different. If Mali didn't leave, then he and Battle would be the starting guards, and Gillon wouldn't be here as there wouldn't have been a need to go out and recruit a grad transfer. Under that scenario, then Battle would be the point, because he is more suited for that role than Mali would be, and that would be the path to getting the two "best" guards on the floor at the same time.

Now, Mali is gone, and Battle's best value to the team is as a 2. The "best" point guard in the roster is now John Gillon, and while White can play some minutes in the backcourt, he is more of a 3 in terms of his lateral quickness and mobility. Can he fill in there? Sure. But he probably isn't a great fit in our system as a 2 [also, check out those passing numbers].

I know that it was a selling point to Battle, but circumstances have changed. Battle is going to handle the ball--a lot. And he's going to be one of our top offensive players if things go according to plan. Promise fulfilled.

Now we just need to land White...

And all in good fun, Alsacs [goes without saying] -- fun topic to discuss while we wait for news on White.

Last edited:
I don't think Battle was promised to be the point guard, only that he would have the ball in his hands a lot. Gillon is a good distributor and ball handler. I would expect that he will bring the ball up, but Battle will get a lot of opportunities to create on offense.

From an SI article on his commitment:
Battle said Syracuse views him “more as a combo guard—play the point a little bit, play the two a little bit.”

Right--spot on. I think people have extrapolated that literally to mean that he was promised to play point and nothing but point.

And now that I've said that, I'm sure somebody will find a quote from JB or something that says Battle is the 1. :cool: But I agree with how you are interpreting this.

Guys, let's receive a verbal first. Then we can have all sorts of fun with lineup projections. I'm in wait-and-see mode especially after we couldn't close with yurt and mystery man.

Anyway you look at this, I think Roberson is going to see significantly less minutes this year.
That would not be a bad thing - didn't JB say something to the effect of "if I had anybody else..."?

Anyway you look at this, I think Roberson is going to see significantly less minutes this year.
I think Roberson is extremely important to this team. If he can play the whole year, the way he played in the NCAA tournament, he would be invaluable on the court, regardless of the actual numbers he puts up. He keeps so many balls alive and his effort was unbelievable.

Guys, let's receive a verbal first. Then we can have all sorts of fun with lineup projections. I'm in wait-and-see mode especially after we couldn't close with yurt and mystery man.

We never had a chance with mystery man. He never wound up becoming available to us.

As a Dad I can tell you that getting help with a citation <<<<< having access to underage hookers

Are you saying you are familiar with being charged for solicitation? I don't understand your comment.

As great as it looks on paper the team has to learn how to become a team first. I would not rank them top 10 until they prove they can play well as a team.

I think Roberson is extremely important to this team. If he can play the whole year, the way he played in the NCAA tournament, he would be invaluable on the court, regardless of the actual numbers he puts up. He keeps so many balls alive and his effort was unbelievable.

Maybe so, but we will be able to rebound in other areas this year. Outside of the center's, he's the least skilled player on the team.

I guess we could see a ton of Lydon at the 5 with Roberson at the 4, if you want to keep him in the game.

Yurtseven had too many connections to NC State to not go there. Mystery Man wasn't really someone we needed to close with. Either he wanted to make the jump or stay put, it was up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom