Shafer: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward." | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward."

I think to get a good OC who will put pressure on a defense and take risks, etc it will need to be a HC/OC type. I don't see Shafer turning it loose on offense being a defensive guy just not in their nature. Hire a new OC and they will be coaching with one hand tied behind their back, happens a lot with OC's who work for D guys, unless your Lincoln Riley.

You cant get rid of Shafe at this point but the future looks very very shaky but I give the guy credit for pushing his chips all in with his band. It's dumb business but admirable on the loyalty end, I want him to succeed because he really is a great guy, but I don't believe this will end well.

Not seeing the "it" factor on offense at all. It's actually quite disgraceful what he is putting out there right now. He should be embarrassed really as should the University for the product they are trying to sell. Get what you pay for I guess as do the fans
when you have a chance to pluck someone from the bill cubit coaching tree with experience in the XFL and division III, you gotta snap him up

what other school in the country would hire lester to be OC?

If Shafer is a really good defensive mind (I don't think that's debatable given the stats over the years) - don't you think he knows a good offensive coordinator when he sees one? Lester has to run his game plans by the HC, no?

And don't give me the "coaching tree" stuff. Shafer has down some very good offenses - including Holgerson a couple of times. He knows his stuff.

If Shafer is a really good defensive mind (I don't think that's debatable given the stats over the years) - don't you think he knows a good offensive coordinator when he sees one? Lester has to run his game plans by the HC, no?

And don't give me the "coaching tree" stuff. Shafer has down some very good offenses - including Holgerson a couple of times. He knows his stuff.

surely there are other really good defensive minds as head coaches. would any of them hire lester?

i think more offensive coaches luck into good defenses than defensive coaches luck into good offense. i'm resigned to coaches having blind spots. marrone could've been good about it, offensive line background gave him credible toughness, pretty good offense. he was stupid during games, not that interested in recruiting and never happy which limited him. and he was too risk averse on offense until he decided to roll the dice.

rich rodriguez is an amazing offensive mind and made a horrendous decision picking gerg over shafer. if you find someone smart on both sides of the ball, you've found someone special.

It's unfortunate that there's a guy in SS who finally got his opportunity and he's staking it on guys without much experience at this level. If it does work out, it's fantastic for all parties; if it doesn't, literally the entire slate is going to be wiped clean.

At this point I want to see the recruiting class stay as intact as possible. Especially the guys up front, the LB's and the Secondary guys. I think it's a good group of core players, that Lester needs to compliment with his type of skill guys, whatever they may be.

The next 3 games are what they are, find what you're looking for. No, they're not giving up on bowl contention and wont let the kids either. Ultimately though, use this time to see what you want to see from the young guys and decide how you want to utilize them.

At that point they've got an entire offseason/Spring to implement, rep and prepare for a schedule that appears less daunting at face value.

Rhode Island Week 1
TBA Week 2, hopefully a low-level ACC opponent
CM Week 3
LSU Week 4
TBA Week 5 (hopefully a bye)
USF WEEK 6

Just because Lester's experience as a Coordinator/HC was at a lower level doesn't mean he didn't face other coaches who couldn't scheme as well as anybody, They just hadn't received an opportunity to move up with the Blue Bloods. I'm optimistic that this thing can work, but, I don't know that it will even next year. I think year 4 is when things will fall into place if they're ever going to. That's not the answer alot of people want, but, I think it's the most likely.

It's unfortunate that there's a guy in SS who finally got his opportunity and he's staking it on guys without much experience at this level. If it does work out, it's fantastic for all parties; if it doesn't, literally the entire slate is going to be wiped clean.

At this point I want to see the recruiting class stay as intact as possible. Especially the guys up front, the LB's and the Secondary guys. I think it's a good group of core players, that Lester needs to compliment with his type of skill guys, whatever they may be.

The next 3 games are what they are, find what you're looking for. No, they're not giving up on bowl contention and wont let the kids either. Ultimately though, use this time to see what you want to see from the young guys and decide how you want to utilize them.

At that point they've got an entire offseason/Spring to implement, rep and prepare for a schedule that appears less daunting at face value.

Rhode Island Week 1
CM Week 3
LSU Week 4
USF WEEK 6

Just because Lester's experience as a Coordinator/HC was at a lower level doesn't mean he didn't face other coaches who couldn't scheme as well as anybody, They just hadn't received an opportunity to move up with the Blue Bloods. I'm optimistic that this thing can work, but, I don't know that it will even next year. I think year 4 is when things will fall into place if they're ever going to. That's not the answer alot of people want, but, I think it's the most likely.

I thought we played 8 ACC opponents each year - so the 4 OOC opponents are locked in - looks like another 2nd week bye unless we play an ACC opponent in 2nd week.

Whoever does scheduling should be FIRED immediately!

Yeah, defensive-minded coaches always know good OCs...

nfl_g_rex11_576x324.jpg

Rhode Island Week 1
CM Week 3
LSU Week 4
USF WEEK 6

USF on week 6 is going to be a problem. Not because of who they are but because of when they are. Only 1 bye week next year. So yeah, we will likely have in week 2 or week 5. Which means we end with a marathon of games, minimum of 8 straight.

Lester's resume is interesting to me. Also, FCS hires fail as much or more than they succeed it seems. While I'd be excited for SU to have any of your top 3 if possible, I have to give HCSS the benefit of the doubt here with Lester. It is possible that Lester will succeed. When HCSS promoted Lester he said that he was lucky to have Lester on his staff. He showed a lot of respect for Lester and confidence in the promotion, and I have to think under those circumstances with T-Hunt having gone down he believed he needed to make the change. Time will tell.

Take away Lester's time as Syracuse QB Coach and many FCS head coaches have better resumes and a potential willingness to jump to a P5 OC.

Look, I think it was a mistake to fire McDonald. Same issues plaguing Lester now plagued McDonald against much better defenses.

I just don't know what Lester has done to earn so much benefit of the doubt. He is responsible for QB's and think everyone can agree Hunt regressed this season. That is honestly the only true coaching point to evaluate Lester to this point.

I am confused why everyone thinks Lester is going to a power attack. I will believe it when I see it. If he is, then our offense staff was put together terribly with different philosophies.

I hope Lester gets the job long-term and does a great job. I haven't seen enough where I would sign him before seeing what is available in the off-season (assuming McDonald leaves and there is money to play with).

USF on week 6 is going to be a problem. Not because of who they are but because of when they are. Only 1 bye week next year. So yeah, we will likely have in week 2 or week 5. Which means we end with a marathon of games, minimum of 8 straight.
If we get conference game in Week 2 or 5, which we will, the regular season runs until December 5th right? Or does that include the Conference Championship? If it doesn't there's room for one more bye.

Never mind, I just checked and the ACC Championship is 12/5. Let's hope for a Week 2 ACC game to try and split them up a little better I suppose.

Yeah, defensive-minded coaches always know good OCs...

nfl_g_rex11_576x324.jpg

One coach of one team. A pro level sport with player drafting, free agents - where he hired decent OC's but was hamstrung by horrible QB's and an inept front office. QB matters more in the NFL too.

The fact that Shafer has already given the OC job to Lester for next year is a joke. I don't give crap about injuries Lester has shown nothing to earn it. All Shafer had to say is I am pleased currently with my coaching staff and we are trying to win 3 games now and I won't talk about next year till the end of the year.
Sadly it appears to me Syracuse football is screwed for the near future.

The fact that Shafer has already given the OC job to Lester for next year is a joke. I don't give crap about injuries Lester has shown nothing to earn it. All Shafer had to say is I am pleased currently with my coaching staff and we are trying to win 3 games now and I won't talk about next year till the end of the year.
Sadly it appears to me Syracuse football is screwed for the near future.

You have to factor in him not running his own system, injuries, 3rd string freshman QB, no bye weeks, starting mid-season, etc. Even at the end of the season - would there be enough data to make a decision (that also implies that he wasn't promoted permanently the day it happened - which is what I believe happened)?

One coach of one team. A pro level sport with player drafting, free agents - where he hired decent OC's but was hamstrung by horrible QB's and an inept front office. QB matters more in the NFL too.

I know all that. But the notion that just because a guy knows how to build a defense means he must really understand how to build an offense (not just stop them) is silly.

To flip it around, how did George DeLeone work out for us as DC?

Wow, that looks like a good resume. Looks like he's had success with both offense and special teams.
I have this secret fantasy where we destroy the state of Virginia by getting Shaka Smart for hoops when Boeheim steps down and Bobby Wylder for football.

Scooch said:
I know all that. But the notion that just because a guy knows how to build a defense means he must really understand how to build an offense (not just stop them) is silly. To flip it around, how did George DeLeone work out for us as DC?

I guess. He knows what's hard to deal with defensively. You don't get to be a great defensive coach without knowing what the offensive guys are doing (and vice versa).

Someone said it before, you get what you pay for. I feel this is an issue which also involves the University's Administration and the lack of dedication to the football program. This is the lowest paid staff in the ACC (even after receiving over $20 million a year more in ACC revenue as compared to what they received when in the Big East). For decades we have not spent money on coaching for this program, and the results are become more and more evident. There are 72 programs currently that spend more money on their Head Coach then Syracuse. If the Administration made the commitment to join this conference then they also, by default, made the commitment to spend the money to make this a successful program. Playing home games in the Meadowlands for money and collecting $25+ million from the ACC annually comes at a price, and if I were the ACC I would expect that the proper investments are being made.

Someone said it before, you get what you pay for. I feel this is an issue which also involves the University's Administration and the lack of dedication to the football program. This is the lowest paid staff in the ACC (even after receiving over $20 million a year more in ACC revenue as compared to what they received when in the Big East). For decades we have not spent money on coaching for this program, and the results are become more and more evident. There are 72 programs currently that spend more money on their Head Coach then Syracuse. If the Administration made the commitment to join this conference then they also, by default, made the commitment to spend the money to make this a successful program. Playing home games in the Meadowlands for money and collecting $25+ million from the ACC annually comes at a price, and if I were the ACC I would expect that the proper investments are being made.
This^^^^^^^^

I really think part of it is the lack of funds for assistant coaches salaries.

At this point it doesn't even matter who the OC is. This whole thing is depressing. We finally seem like we have it going in the right direction and our HC is more worried about putting the band back together. Not only did that happen, but now it looks like it's a dysfunctional family. I'm starting to lean more to the fact that Shafer might be in over his head. We are at a steady decline.

overall, this has to be one of the worst coaching staffs in America. Everyone is in over their head. uggh.
Wow! why stop there??????? Worst coaches in the history of the world!!!!! Galaxy ??? Universe ?

Clean house...
At this point it doesn't even matter who the OC is. This whole thing is depressing. We finally seem like we have it going in the right direction and our HC is more worried about putting the band back together. Not only did that happen, but now it looks like it's a dysfunctional family. I'm starting to lean more to the fact that Shafer might be in over his head. We are at a steady decline.

I thought the hiring of Shafer was too fast and we didn't take the time to interview enough people. If the vision of Gross was to have a wide open offense there were better ways to go about it than promoting your DC to HC who has no head coaching experience and then bringing a bunch of people to install that offense that had no experience. This has been a fail from the top to the bottom...

I wrote in another thread it is time just to clean house from Gross down. And get some new life into the program. Hire and Pay for an offensive mind to come in and turn this around. You have made a financial commitment to the program with the IPF now make it with the head coach. You need to bring the excitement back to the program. We are old and stale need a change of philosophy around her on the football side. I am not even willing to give Shafer any more time. His decision making is very questionable and doesn't seem to have a plan about anything except say HardNosed a lot.

I thought we played 8 ACC opponents each year - so the 4 OOC opponents are locked in - looks like another 2nd week bye unless we play an ACC opponent in 2nd week.

Whoever does scheduling should be FIRED immediately!

with only 1 bye week there little to no chance of any byes before week 4 or 5.Will also likely have no byes the last 2 weeks either so byes should go between week 4 or 5 and week 11. Acc teams with opening in week 2 are: FSU,Duke, BC, NC State, and wake. Miami is also open that week but there playing a conference game week 1 most likely vs Clemson so they will play fcs or florida atlantic in week 2.We don't play Duke so we can cross them off the list and BC is said as last game so there out leaving fsu,wake or nc state. Week 2 we are likely away since we are home the 2 games after this week so you can cross off wake. Its fsu or nc state away in week 2.

this is my current guess for week 2 acc slate:
Boston College @ Duke
Syracuse @ Florida State
NC State @ Wake Forest

with hopeful acc schedule close to this:

Rhode Island
@ Florida State
CMU
LSU
BYE Week
@South Florida
@Louisville