Shocking stat I just heard on YNN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shocking stat I just heard on YNN

I went to Chuck's when I was in high school, in the early 90's. It was in the basement. First pitcher of beer I ever drank all by myself was at Chuck's... It was also the first night I got 86'd.

I too went to chuck's in high school around 95. They used to have buy one pitcher get one free. It was in the basement and then. I worked up there not too long after and
there wasn't close to 15 bars unless you count places that sell beer and you still might be short.

Somebody at YNN must read this board because they've now deleted that dubious little factoid from the web story.

So then Bugsy's became Lucy's? That's what's next to the McDonald's now. Actually, is the McDonald's even still there? I haven't been up there in a couple years and don't recalls seeing it last time I was there.
I haven't been up there in 3-4 years, but if I'm not mistaken this was the lineage at that time...
Bugsy's became the O and O (Olive and Orange) which became Lucy's
Maggies is still Maggies but is totally different than Maggies of 1993. It's more like 'Club Maggies' Now
Generic became 44's (where Sid would let you in if you were with a halfway decent looking chick regardless of ID) became Konrad's became Pizza Pit
Bragg's became Murphy's Pub (home of the 'Murphy's card')became Orange Grove became Darwins
Mcdonalds became Brueggers (i think?)
Archie's became Starbucks

And when i was a Sr the bars were...Harry's, Faegan's, Darwin's, O and O, Maggies, 44's, Sutters, Chucks. So 8 real bars. Plus you could get beer at Varsity, Archie's, Acropolis, the Panda place, Cosmos i think, and the middle eastern place. And you could get weed and maybe heroin at either the Wimpy or Ziggy's wagon, but I would usually just go for the Zigwich.

I haven't been up there in 3-4 years, but if I'm not mistaken this was the lineage at that time...
Maggies is still Maggies but is totally different than Maggies of 1993. It's more like 'Club Maggies' Now
Generic became 44's (where Sid would let you in if you were with a halfway decent looking chick regardless of ID) became Konrad's became Pizza Pit
Bragg's became Murphy's Pub (home of the 'Murphy's card')became Orange Grove became Darwins

And when i was a Sr the bars were...Harry's, Faegan's, Darwin's, O and O, Maggies, 44's, Sutters, Chucks. So 8 real bars. Plus you could get beer at Varsity, Archie's, Acropolis, the Panda place, Cosmos i think, and the middle eastern place. And you could get weed and maybe heroin at either the Wimpy or Ziggy's wagon, but I would usually just go for the Zigwich.
What was Ziggy's Wagon? Was that the food truck that got busted at one point?

I know there was one that operated frequently up around Dellplain that, from what I was told, sold all kinds of drugs and if you placed an order for lettuce, you'd get cocaine.

What I miss more than the bars though is Zorba's - used to love his hot roast beef subs.

Ahhhhh, Zorba's...loved that place even though Johnny Z didn't wash his hands or store his food at the proper temp. I swear every time I ate there I would have to bolt to the can about a half hour later. :D

I know there was one that operated frequently up around Dellplain that, from what I was told, sold all kinds of drugs and if you placed an order for lettuce, you'd get cocaine.

Wimpy's

Man no wonder I loved eating at the food truck after the bars. They must have been slipping me Mickies

Since we are reminiscing, the best slice of pizza after a night of drinking, to me anyway, was ZJ's (it also went by another name at some point, can't remember), which was located directly above Harry's. That pizza was so good.

My buddies used to live on sky top and we would head down to buy bet from a corner store that if you went under 81 from sky top it was at the first intersection. We used to get 64 oz of old english and by the time you got to the end it was piss warm

My buddies used to live on sky top and we would head down to buy bet from a corner store that if you went under 81 from sky top it was at the first intersection. We used to get 64 oz of old english and by the time you got to the end it was piss warm
You mean you didn't get your beer at Peter's? Come on man, Peter's is for the people! That's where we got, well, most of our beer. There, Wegman's or, in a pinch, the corner store underneath where Darwin's used to be.

You mean you didn't get your beer at Peter's? Come on man, Peter's is for the people! That's where we got, well, most of our beer. There, Wegman's or, in a pinch, the corner store underneath where Darwin's used to be.

Peters too but mostly is was corner store on the corner of south state and colvin

Since we are reminiscing, the best slice of pizza after a night of drinking, to me anyway, was ZJ's (it also went by another name at some point, can't remember), which was located directly above Harry's. That pizza was so good.

For me it was Archie's. A slice or two with an orange soda. I still can't believe that place is a freaking Starbucks now.

So then Bugsy's became Lucy's?
Lucy's isn't halt the place that Buggsy's was, not half.

And I mean that literally. I was so disappointed when I visited Lucy's a few years ago. It is missing the upper floor. That's where the long bar was, along with the dance floor and DJ. What a waste!

BTW: Buggsy's used to have a Tuesday Mug Club. Pay $5 at the start of the year for membership. Every Tuesday you got 25¢ mug drafts. At the end of the year you get a mug. I still have mine. :)

Bragg's is where I did my beer floats, which I later re-introduced as a "Bud Cow" at Ed Debevic's in Chicago.

I used to see John Valby at the original Maggie's.

I remember being at the Varsity when the drinking age went to 19 (in 1982). Some of my younger friends were there for their final legal drinks.

BTW: we had a similar thread back in August.

I just found this list online:

Bars
Faegan's Café-Pub (South Crouse Ave.) (since 1978)
Lucy's Retired Surfer's Bar (South Crouse Ave.)
Harry's Bar & Grille (South Crouse Ave.)
Chuck's Café (Crouse Alley-way)
Maggie's (Marshall Street)

Former Bars
The Orange (became Buggsy's, then The O&O and now Lucy's. The Orange was the only bar near campus (except for the University owned "Jaberwocky" located in Marian) until about 1975 and was operating as far back as the 1950's and possibly even earlier)
Buggsy's Back-Alley Bar, Ltd. (became the Olive & Orange and closed in 1990)
The Olive & The Orange (a.k.a. The O&O preceded Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar.)
The Generic Bar, a.k.a. the "G-Bar." (preceded 44's. )
44's (Preceded Konrad's)
Konrad's (closed Spring 2004)
Sutter's Mill (now Chuck's)
The Mason Jar (across the street from Harry's, became Bragg's)
Bragg's (became Murphy's')
Murphy's (became the Orange Cafe')
The Orange Cafe' (became Darwin's)
Darwin's Bar (closed October 2006)
P.O.E.T.S - "Put Off Everything Till Saturday" (located in the Marshall Square Mall on the first floor facing University Avenue in the 1980's. Later, part became Maggie's.)
The Greenhouse Café (became Harry's)
Clement's Brewpub (old location of Hungry Charlie's. Hungry Charlie's became Clements and then became Hungry Charlie's again. Now "The Deli")

It was not open. Just looked it up to confirm. It went on "hiatus" in 1996 and did not reopen until fall 2003.

This is correct. It got shut down. Sutters Mill did too. New Chucks is where Sutters Mill was.

Pretty good. A couple additions:

Lucy's is only in part of the space; not sure who's using the rest.
Maggie's moved (late-'90s or early-'00s?) from the bookstore to Marshall Street, then got shut down in about 2007. DJ's is in that spot now.
Darwin's is now the Indian restaurant or the Korean restaurant on the corner.
Bruegger's replaced a Pizza Hut, I think.
McDonald's was three doors down Crouse; closed late in 2002 or early in 2003. Now it's split by Oishi and a bubble tea store.
And Archie's is definitely Starbucks. Archie still has his office in the basement of the adjoining building.

There was a sort of speakeasy in a basement on Marshall Street in 2004. Not sure if it was there in 2003. (Not sure if it's included in the count, anyway, since it wasn't legal.) Not there now. And Darwin's isn't there. Those are the only two bars that could have been there in 2003 and don't currently exist (and haven't been replaced).

So YNN was only off by a factor of two. Not too shabby, by their standards.

I miss marshall st and the hill from the 1980's. god those were good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree 100%. I did not attend SU, but I attended the bars back in the late 80's/early 90's when I was back in town from school over the Summer and Holidays. Even when the students left, all of the "students" from surrounding suburbs who were back in town went up there. Always a good night out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom