Should Cuse honor Coach K during his visit to the Dome? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Should Cuse honor Coach K during his visit to the Dome?

I don’t know why people say Coach K cheats. Is there evidence of such? I think sometimes he acts like a jerk, but so does our coach. I have a buddy who LOVES Duke and goes to all of their games, but he thinks K is kind of crappy to the players and doesn’t like him for that.
Fierce competitors are often mistaken as jerks. Comments and actions right after a hard fought or disapointing loss should not be the measuring stick. Sure, we all want to act with class and dignity all the time but how many of us measure up to that.

Fierce competitors are often jerks. Comments and actions right after a hard fought or disapointing loss should be the measuring stick. Sure, we all want to act with class and dignity all the time and many of us measure up to that.

FIFY.

Adversity does not build character, it reveals it.

*Disappointing.

I often wonder what's worse:
a bad winner
a bad loser

And, like with many other things, the answer is:
yes.

Fierce competitors are often mistaken as jerks. Comments and actions right after a hard fought or disapointing loss should not be the measuring stick. Sure, we all want to act with class and dignity all the time but how many of us measure up to that.
Duke plays by different rules than any other of school. That’s why I don’t like him. It has zero to do with how he acts.

There‘s nobody I dislike more in sports.

Coach K has been one of JAB's best friends for a long time, is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport and has been a huge reason the US is again dominating basketball on the international scene.

If it were up to me, yes, I would honor him. Make an announcement before the game. Show a video (mostly featuring the winning olympic teams, with some shots of Coach K and JAB together).

Give him a nice gift. Nice but not too nice.

Whatever that do, a jersey with his name on it should not be given. For obvious reasons.

This works for me...

Honoring K would be worse than giving up a hundo to Colgate

Coach K has been one of JAB's best friends for a long time, is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport and has been a huge reason the US is again dominating basketball on the international scene.

If it were up to me, yes, I would honor him. Make an announcement before the game. Show a video (mostly featuring the winning olympic teams, with some shots of Coach K and JAB together).

Whatever that do, a jersey with his name on it should not be given. For obvious reasons.

This works for me...

Agree with all of it, Tom. Though a jersey with four or five crossed out attempts to spell his name and a final line of "K" would be amusing.

This works for me...

I love this.

I'd rather not because what if JB leaves and we don't honor him a week later.

After the game in the locker room with a picture maybe but I don't think he should get a montage on the video board.

This works for me...

Any chance we can have a name plate with K’s name added to the Rocking Chair?

I think during one of the timeouts, we have a little Harlem Globetrotter like gag with the bucket of water/confetti. JB gets the confetti first and then they go to K. But instead of water, it's orange slime.

Yes SU should. Mike is arguably Jims closest friend from the sport. The two of them have shared so many great experiences together that honoring K tomorrow is honoring their joint accomplishments and friendship. Its what good friends and competitors do.

Yes SU should. Mike is arguably Jims closest friend from the sport. The two of them have shared so many great experiences together that honoring K tomorrow is honoring their joint accomplishments and friendship. Its what good friends and competitors do.
I'm pretty against most anything honoring another school but this is a clear yes to me. Doesn't need to be a video montage but the public address announcer should make some kind of mention at some point to draw attention to it being his final visit and have the 25-30,000 give a standing ovation for it.

I hate Duke as much as any other sporting entity but you need a villain to chase and beat in order to raise the ceiling of your enjoyment level. Without Coach K, the moment Gillon hit that half-court shot at the buzzer would have been unbelievably great but because of who it was against, it brought tears of joy out of my eyes. Was my boys 1st Duke game as 9 & 10 year olds and they still talk about that being the most incredible thing they've ever witnessed.

I like Coach K & think he’s Top 3 in the history of cbb.
But Duke has never been and is not a rival to us- we only started playing them regularly when we joined the ACC.
If we’d played UNC the year Roy or Dean Smith was retiring would we have “honored” them? Or how about Bob Knight at IU, John Thompson at GTown, Calhoun at UConn, or Louie at St John’s?
Other than their personal relationship, why would Syracuse basketball treat Coach K any differently than those other great HCs? To jump on the bandwagon, maybe?
Sorry, nothing personal- he’s been great for the game & all, but Coach K is not that important to our program specifically, & certainly not to where he deserves special acknowledgment on his way out. Pass!

Note: I do agree w/ @chugg that a public address announcement after player introductions seems about right. Brief and to the point.

K has done more for Duke b-ball than JB for CUSE.
There ought to be something quick and classy.
When they do player introductions, don't they say the team is coached by fill-in-blank?
Something right then...maybe CUSE players/staff go over and shake K's hand.
A photo of K and JB sitting in rocking chairs next to each other with the teams
and staffs behind them.
Classy...then onto the game.

Man, this is a tough crowd. We have the last game between our hall of fame coach and Duke's hall of fame coach and spite is the preferred response? This is the game to celebrate college basketball and the people that created great games for us to enjoy. Let's honor coach K, then beat Duke in his final game against JB. This will be a crowd and game to remember. LGO!!