So how about that Fox story? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So how about that Fox story?

Jalen Rose loved us but he wanted to stay home at Michigan. Sanctions hit us in 1993. Rose was a freshman in 1992. Where is fact sanctions cost us Jalen?
Marshall I agree.

We were under investigation for years before. It was common knowledge that the NCAA was going to drop the hammer on us for something.

He took the bird in the hand and went to Michigan with Webber instead of the uncertainty of Syracuse and a possible post-season ban.

Jalen Rose loved us but he wanted to stay home at Michigan. Sanctions hit us in 1993. Rose was a freshman in 1992. Where is fact sanctions cost us Jalen?
Marshall I agree.

It was being talked about and we were being investigated for a couple years leading up to the announcement, don't forget.

Many in the media dislike JB (some intensely) and will gleefully rip him at any chance that presents itself. Ask yourself...is the tone of this article objective and balanced? You can just sense the venom dripping off it.

I'm inclined to agree with that guy's hypothesis (and I know Hopkins graciously shared exactly what he wanted to with dasher and don't doubt that one bit). But hoo boy that's a strongly-written piece. Of course it's a column, not an article, and doesn't need to be objective. But this is one time I'll side with the media-bashers on here. That dude was writing with emotion.

Let me answer one of his open ended questions...

"After all, why would Hopkins wait 10 years as the designated successor, sit through all of the NCAA problems"

He got paid a lot of money to be an assistant coach and never received a job offer to be a head coach?

I mean...is it THAT implausible?

I have no inside information, have had no discussions with any of the individuals involved in this situation, but I do feel like I am usually down the middle when it comes to Coach Boeheim. I recognize his faults, both as a coach and in his public persona, but at the same time respect the good he does both on and off the court. Basically, I don't feel like my opinion is based on a hatred or love for those involved.

Here are my questions:

-Has Coach Hopkins ever gone on record saying the Syracuse job was his "dream job?"
I'll start by saying, even if he had I wouldn't believe him after Coach Marrone's words. But, it seems that many people are assuming Coach Hopkins stays up at night imagining what it would be like to be Syracuse's head coach. You can be extremely happy in a position, or at a place, without seeing yourself retiring there.

-Is it not a distinct possibility that someone would be willing accept a future position without it being their dream job?
There are plenty of positions in my current organization that I would agree to fill in the future, but wouldn't be my ideal job. I think it's a distinct possibility that he was more than willing to become our head coach if a better fit didn't became available, but it wasn't necessarily his dream job. You can really love a place and still realize that it may not be the best fit for you. If Coach Hopkins became our head coach he would go through his entire career being compared to his mentor and trying to live up to him. Now he has the chance to "make a name for himself."

-Is it not also a distinct possibility that he was hoping all along to find a P5 job somewhere else?
It seemed pretty obvious to me that he was ready to leave for the USC job a few years back. He has gone on record several times expressing disappointment that he didn't get that job. Again if he wasn't able to find another P5 job or one closer to his "original home" on the west coast he would have gladly taken the job here. Again just because you would gladly and willingly accept a position, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't be happier or more willingly accept a similar job elsewhere. I think Coach Hopkins always envisioned himself becoming a head coach on the West Coast, but was not in a position to say no to the Syracuse job when it was offered to him in the future.

I find this whole replacing/running out a legend discussion interesting, having been part of it on a smaller scale. My belief is that Coach Boeheim has earned the right to decide when he wants to hang up the whistle. Hopefully, he'll know when the time is right. To me you can't judge the state of the program right now and determine whether or not Boeheim is responsible for the lull, if you can call it lull when we were in the Final Four last year, since the NCAA sanctions have had an impact. Some coaches know when to hang up the whistle, others stick around too long. Regardless, as I stated I think Coach Boeheim should be able to determine when he leaves.

The two most winning HS coaches in Section IV coached within 17 miles of one another. One of those coaches, who I know personally, was essentially run out of the position three years ago. He had coached 48 years and won 278 games, since he was forced into his retirement, that school has had three different head coaches. On the other hand, my father (who obviously I also know personally) was allowed to retire "on his own terms" after this past season. He coached for 41 years and won 318 games, it remains to be seen how his replacement will do, but no one will be able to have regrets if his replacement is not successful.

The point being, if Jim Boeheim was essentially run out in favor of Mike Hopkins and Mike was not successful there would be regrets, even if some on this board don't want to admit it.

I have no inside information, have had no discussions with any of the individuals involved in this situation, but I do feel like I am usually down the middle when it comes to Coach Boeheim. I recognize his faults, both as a coach and in his public persona, but at the same time respect the good he does both on and off the court. Basically, I don't feel like my opinion is based on a hatred or love for those involved.

Here are my questions:

-Has Coach Hopkins ever gone on record saying the Syracuse job was his "dream job?"
I'll start by saying, even if he had I wouldn't believe him after Coach Marrone's words. But, it seems that many people are assuming Coach Hopkins stays up at night imagining what it would be like to be Syracuse's head coach. You can be extremely happy in a position, or at a place, without seeing yourself retiring there.

-Is it not a distinct possibility that someone would be willing accept a future position without it being their dream job?
There are plenty of positions in my current organization that I would agree to fill in the future, but wouldn't be my ideal job. I think it's a distinct possibility that he was more than willing to become our head coach if a better fit didn't became available, but it wasn't necessarily his dream job. You can really love a place and still realize that it may not be the best fit for you. If Coach Hopkins became our head coach he would go through his entire career being compared to his mentor and trying to live up to him. Now he has the chance to "make a name for himself."

-Is it not also a distinct possibility that he was hoping all along to find a P5 job somewhere else?
It seemed pretty obvious to me that he was ready to leave for the USC job a few years back. He has gone on record several times expressing disappointment that he didn't get that job. Again if he wasn't able to find another P5 job or one closer to his "original home" on the west coast he would have gladly taken the job here. Again just because you would gladly and willingly accept a position, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't be happier or more willingly accept a similar job elsewhere. I think Coach Hopkins always envisioned himself becoming a head coach on the West Coast, but was not in a position to say no to the Syracuse job when it was offered to him in the future.

I find this whole replacing/running out a legend discussion interesting, having been part of it on a smaller scale. My belief is that Coach Boeheim has earned the right to decide when he wants to hang up the whistle. Hopefully, he'll know when the time is right. To me you can't judge the state of the program right now and determine whether or not Boeheim is responsible for the lull, if you can call it lull when we were in the Final Four last year, since the NCAA sanctions have had an impact. Some coaches know when to hang up the whistle, others stick around too long. Regardless, as I stated I think Coach Boeheim should be able to determine when he leaves.

The two most winning HS coaches in Section IV coached within 17 miles of one another. One of those coaches, who I know personally, was essentially run out of the position three years ago. He had coached 48 years and won 278 games, since he was forced into his retirement, that school has had three different head coaches. On the other hand, my father (who obviously I also know personally) was allowed to retire "on his own terms" after this past season. He coached for 41 years and won 318 games, it remains to be seen how his replacement will do, but no one will be able to have regrets if his replacement is not successful.

The point being, if Jim Boeheim was essentially run out in favor of Mike Hopkins and Mike was not successful there would be regrets, even if some on this board don't want to admit it.
^ This. Hop wasn't going to take the Charlotte job or even the BC job. He was better off waiting for JB to retire or for a higher profile position to become available. If FGCU doesn't beat Georgetown, Hop is probably coaching USC.

For a point of reference, I think I just read that UNC-Wilmington is paying their coach more than Syracuse is paying their hall of fame coach. It is what it is.

That is 100% false. UNC-Wilmington's coach just got a contract extension that pays him $300,000 per year plus a $200,000 a year in supplemental salary. Boeheim makes $2.1 million per year. There's also no evidence that Hop going to Washington means he's getting a higher salary. He may have gotten more guaranteed years, but reports are that his salary is $1.8 million in year one. How would anyone know that he wouldn't make at least that at SU?

UNCW approves contract extensions for Kevin Keatts and Jimmy Bass - WWAY TV3

USA TODAY Sports

When will Comey make a statement about who knew what and when?

If the chancellor was making a move after the NCAA stuff, followed by 2 new AD hires (the latest being a big JAB guy) - I'm not sure it was all that manipulative. Things shift and change. Following the scandal it seemed prudent and I'm sure there was some pressure to push for a retirement - but now?

I can tell you with 100% certainty at the point where he was originally named Coach-in-waiting (2007) that the answer is YES - SU is where he wanted to (and expected to) spend his entire coaching career. Now, that was a decade ago and things can change, but at least when the first succession plan was announced it was his dream job.

JB wasn't leaving on his own next year. no way . that was a nice tale they spun today. i didn't buy it .
So when JB says that he was leaving after next year per the agreement with Hop, you say he was lying?

Right?

You are choosing Chris Chase's word and your own intutition over JB's unequivocal statement?

Just wanted to make sure that is what you were doing.

So when JB says that he was leaving after next year per the agreement with Hop, you say he was lying?

Right?

You are choosing Chris Chase's word and your own intutition over JB's unequivocal statement?

Just wanted to make sure that is what you were doing.

I think that may have been the plan but JB didn't want to leave Hopkins with a mess to clean up.

Or Hop just got an offer from UW that he couldn't pass up.

I think that may have been the plan but JB didn't want to leave Hopkins with a mess to clean up.

Or Hop just got an offer from UW that he couldn't pass up.

Hopkins said it was too good a job to pass up.
Boeheim said that Hopkins said it was too good a job to pass up
Wildhack said that when he talked to Hopkins that he said he felt it was too good of a job to pass up.

Chris Chase says Boeheim forced him out.

It's quite simple. Who do you choose to believe?

That fox story...

Simpsons-Hot-Takes-Coming-Through-60pct.jpg