So I Finished The Wire This Week | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So I Finished The Wire This Week

Funny. I didn’t care for the docks/Sobotka season or the kids season.…

Much preferred all the police vs crooks stuff.

Overrated? It’s still a top 5-10 series in the history of television. I think there’s room for it to fit in anywhere from 3-10 without it being overrated.

My top non-sitcoms:

GoT, easily.
Then, it doesn’t matter: Breaking Bad, The Sopranos.
The Wire.
House of the Dragon—which may climb.
Twin Peaks.
The Crown.
Miami Vice.
Homeland.

Not sure where to put Better Call Saul. I didn’t love the beginning, felt it was dull. It got better, but the conclusion wasn’t satisfying. Maybe too much of a coattails show for me to rank it higher.

Mad Men, like Lost had a strong start and presence and then eventually wore itself out to the point where I just wanted them resolved and done, and it was a chore to watch. I just had invested so much time in them that i was obligated to keep going. Similar to The Walking Dead, but I actually did abandon that show.

I really liked Dexter. I just don’t think it was ever particularly ‘brilliant’ in any respect—acting, writing, dialog.
In my defense, I only said overrated because there are plenty of people I've talked to who have it equal to or better than Sopranos. I can see why people would feel that way but it just doesn't get there for me.

I have never obsessed over a show like I did with The Sopranos and since I finished I've been worried I'll never have that feeling again. Lol. Better Call Saul got close for me but there were still times where checking twitter or whatever crossed my mind while I was watching.

I actually really liked Dexter, too. It always seemed kind of corny but I think I've watched it two or three times now. Rita's death is one of the TV death's that hit me the hardest.

The rest of the show went downhill and the last season was terrible besides the last scene. BUT the first season of Prison Break is maybe my favorite season of a show I've ever watched.

It is so damn good.

In my defense, I only said overrated because there are plenty of people I've talked to who have it equal to or better than Sopranos. I can see why people would feel that way but it just doesn't get there for me.

I have never obsessed over a show like I did with The Sopranos and since I finished I've been worried I'll never have that feeling again. Lol. Better Call Saul got close for me but there were still times where checking twitter or whatever crossed my mind while I was watching.

I actually really liked Dexter, too. It always seemed kind of corny but I think I've watched it two or three times now. Rita's death is one of the TV death's that hit me the hardest.
Last show that did that for me regularly was Breaking Bad.

My heart would be RACING during some of those episodes. I was so drawn in. Yelling at the TV and everything. Never experienced a show like that.

As much as I love The Wire, the intensity and excitement wasn’t like BB. It wasn’t that edge of your seat type of show as much.

My wife and watched the Mad Men pilot several years ago and it wasn’t enough to draw us in. After reading most of the comments in this thread, I was considering giving it another try. You’ve convinced me my initial decision was the correct one.
That's not really what i meant, though. It's good—really good—for a while. Just bail whenever it stops being satisfying and i don't think you miss anything by not seeing it through to the very end.

Even if the pilot wasn't enough to grab you, it's worth sticking through a handful of episodes before deciding. When Breaking Bad was first on, i watched the first episode and a half and just didn't care for it. It wasn't until full hoopla after four or five seasons that i was convinced to try again, and i realized what i had missed.

Is this kind like if you were around in the 80s watching Hill Street blues and it was awesome but someone watching now would probably go blah been there seen that..

Its hard for these shows to capture the energy for multi years.. Like Wiseguys had a couple great years and a couple you just watched cause you did.

The Wire deserves credit for innovative story telling. It is not in my top five because the dialogue is so bad.

The Wire deserves credit for innovative story telling. It is not in my top five because the dialogue is so bad.
the wire GIF

Only Breaking Bad is better to me….maybe. They’re like 1A/1B.

The story told was so much bigger, more ambitious, and frankly…more important. Incredible the way it all tied together and “all the pieces matter”, IMO.

I liked it even more on repeat viewings. Heck, any time I hear a train in the distance I want to watch Bunk and McNulty shoot the over some beers.

I'll maybe deservedly catch some heat for this, but the social commentary is where the other shows fall short. Ebert used to say that what makes a film great isn't necessarily what it's about but how it tells what it's about. The Wire crushed both. Stylistically, obviously (especially the dialogue). But the ongoing theme of the individual versus the system in the face of deindustrialization and destabilization of society couldn't have been depicted better.

It’s my favorite show of all-time.

I'm not crazy about Mad Men, to me it's the ultimate show about nothing (though obviously Weiner et al. executed their vision immaculately).

But I do have the long-standing hot take that the In Care Of episode (Season 4, I think) is one of the best single episodes in the history of TV. It's perfect.

Funny. I didn’t care for the docks/Sobotka season or the kids season.…

Much preferred all the police vs crooks stuff.

Overrated? It’s still a top 5-10 series in the history of television. I think there’s room for it to fit in anywhere from 3-10 without it being overrated.

My top non-sitcoms:

GoT, easily.
Then, it doesn’t matter: Breaking Bad, The Sopranos.
The Wire.
House of the Dragon—which may climb.
Twin Peaks.
The Crown.
Miami Vice.
Homeland.

Not sure where to put Better Call Saul. I didn’t love the beginning, felt it was dull. It got better, but the conclusion wasn’t satisfying. Maybe too much of a coattails show for me to rank it higher.

Mad Men, like Lost had a strong start and presence and then eventually wore itself out to the point where I just wanted them resolved and done, and it was a chore to watch. I just had invested so much time in them that i was obligated to keep going. Similar to The Walking Dead, but I actually did abandon that show.

I really liked Dexter. I just don’t think it was ever particularly ‘brilliant’ in any respect—acting, writing, dialog.
House of the Dragon already on the list? That's a lot of faith that it's heading somewhere great because the multiple time jumps and recasting already aren't particularly enjoyable. Though I guess they are getting us where we needed to be for the fun to start.

House of the Dragon already on the list? That's a lot of faith that it's heading somewhere great because the multiple time jumps and recasting already aren't particularly enjoyable. Though I guess they are getting us where we needed to be for the fun to start.
I’m just basing it on the quality of what they’ve done already. Dialog, production, action, character development.

The time jumps haven’t bothered me a bit. I kinda wish we couid have stayed with Milly, but maybe I’m used to recasts from The Crown.

I’m not waiting for fun to start. I’m already right there in it from the beginning. It’s riveting and engrossing already. It’s literally the only show I sit and watch in rapt attention, fully focused. With anything else, I’m on the iPad and just peeking at the tv whenever I need to.

I’m just basing it on the quality of what they’ve done already. Dialog, production, action, character development.

The time jumps haven’t bothered me a bit. I kinda wish we couid have stayed with Milly, but maybe I’m used to recasts from The Crown.

I’m not waiting for fun to start. I’m already right there in it from the beginning. It’s riveting and engrossing already. It’s literally the only show I sit and watch in rapt attention, fully focused. With anything else, I’m on the iPad and just peeking at the tv whenever I need to.
I definitely hated losing Milly as well. Think I'm having a hard time because for the most part I just dislike everyone. I assume that's probably what they were going for thus far given they haven't done anything to try and attach us to them.

I'm not crazy about Mad Men, to me it's the ultimate show about nothing (though obviously Weiner et al. executed their vision immaculately).
It is the ultimate character-driven show, which is my favorite kind of storytelling. I know it is not for everyone.

I definitely hated losing Milly as well. Think I'm having a hard time because for the most part I just dislike everyone. I assume that's probably what they were going for thus far given they haven't done anything to try and attach us to them.
Hmm. I like quite a few of the characters. Even the older Rhaenyra is okay, but i keep seeing and feeling like she's an actress i've seen before, but i'm thinking of someone else i can't name...

I like Rhys Ifans in everything. Matt Smith just 'chews up the scenery' even when he's not doing anything. And i don't mind that. I saw an interview with him for the first time last week, and he just has a big presence. Which is weird, because i first saw him as Prince Phillip. I thought Paddy was good. The Alicents are good, although maybe without a lot of nuance. I was really happy when i learned Sonoya Mizuno would be in the cast, but she hasn't had much to do. I expect she'll play a large role later, though. Princess Rhaenys is good... But, yeah, there are no actual heroes, if that's what you mean. It's kinda like Succession—the characters are good, but you wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with any of them (except Cousin Greg).

Hmm. I like quite a few of the characters. Even the older Rhaenyra is okay, but i keep seeing and feeling like she's an actress i've seen before, but i'm thinking of someone else i can't name...

I like Rhys Ifans in everything. Matt Smith just 'chews up the scenery' even when he's not doing anything. And i don't mind that. I saw an interview with him for the first time last week, and he just has a big presence. Which is weird, because i first saw him as Prince Phillip. I thought Paddy was good. The Alicents are good, although maybe without a lot of nuance. I was really happy when i learned Sonoya Mizuno would be in the cast, but she hasn't had much to do. I expect she'll play a large role later, though. Princess Rhaenys is good... But, yeah, there are no actual heroes, if that's what you mean. It's kinda like Succession—the characters are good, but you wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with any of them (except Cousin Greg).
Good comparison. Would love to be in an elevator or anywhere with Tom & Greg.

Watched the latest episode of Dragons last night. Absolutely loved it. You may be right that it's going to end up an all-timer.

Watched the latest episode of Dragons last night. Absolutely loved it. You may be right that it's going to end up an all-timer.
i thought it was incredible, until the very end. Did not like that. How many innocent people were affected? Kinda ridic. Before that, though? Sooooo good. Even without major pieces of the cast.

Might be generational or recency bias, but Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and West Wing should be on any top 10 list of best TV dramas.

Last edited:
Rewatching The Wire right now. The first scene is so damn good. Can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom