So Many True Freshmen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So Many True Freshmen

I don't disagree. And even when times were better, we had some play right away that the staff felt could help (both McIntosh bros, Spotwood, Konrad, Freeney, Rhodes just to name a few. Not going to mention Morant, he was a special case). Just seems odd to me that 17 played in the first game. I wouldn't think you could know that much already.

Oh well, here's to a great 2018! Hope we're all still alive to see it.
17? I haven't stayed on top of this, but I came up with 13 scholarship players and two walk-ons. Any clarification would be appreciated.

17? I haven't stayed on top of this, but I came up with 13 scholarship players and two walk-ons. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sorry, it was 15. I was going off memory from the Brett McMurphy tweet, and thought we were in the group tied for 2nd at 17. But we were in the group tied for 3rd with 15. And if that includes walk ons, then 13. So not quite as bad as I thought, but still, we're not a school that traditionally recruits game ready freshmen in large #'s.

I'd feel a lot better if, say, Brandon Reddish were back at corner this year, instead of the 2011 learning experience of Marquis Lee running a streak and beating him by 10 yards.

Sorry, it was 15. I was going off memory from the Brett McMurphy tweet, and thought we were in the group tied for 2nd at 17. But we were in the group tied for 3rd with 15. And if that includes walk ons, then 13. So not quite as bad as I thought, but still, we're not a school that traditionally recruits game ready freshmen in large #'s.

I'd feel a lot better if, say, Brandon Reddish were back at corner this year, instead of the 2011 learning experience of Marquis Lee running a streak and beating him by 10 yards.

Agreed about Reddish. I think it is far more important to have players redshirt at some positional units more than others. Namely, QB, OL, DL, and secondary. Too much technique involved with those positions.

I know, I know -- all of the positions are "skilled," but those ones in particular having that extra year can make a HUGE difference.

Agreed about Reddish. I think it is far more important to have players redshirt at some positional units more than others. Namely, QB, OL, DL, and secondary. Too much technique involved with those positions.

I know, I know -- all of the positions are "skilled," but those ones in particular having that extra year can make a HUGE difference.

Would have loved to have had Macky for one more year as well, who wasn't nearly ready to play that first year. But unlike every pro, college division 1, 2, 3, 8, high school team in America, we couldn't find a human who could snap a football.

By the time some of these guys come into their own, they are gone.

I thought it's basically always better to red shirt unless they are needed (numbers) or are better than the player(s) in front of them.

I think the staff rightly feels pressure to win sooner rather than later (and not just because of their jobs - but for the good of the program and community) AND they got a crop of really good players. That's not a recipe for a bunch of redshirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom