Sorry, but it is time... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

They can’t get by some guys. That’s why we see pushoffs or bailout/jacked threes.
I know, But would still like to see them try. Thought OB looked good in the first half and then reverted right back to his old self in the second. I think the worst thing for this team sometimes is when they start making 3's. They start thinking they're good outside shooters.

I'm a life long CUSE fan. Born and raised in Syracuse and a CUSE alumni. I can't remember being so disgusted with a CUSE basketball team. When does Boeheim look in the mirror and take some blame for putting a piss poor product on the floor. This team has forgotten how to play sound fundamental basketball. They can't pass, rebound or make FT's. There's no leadership on this team, they don't even look like they enjoy playing with each other. My opinion there's not one NBA caliber player on this team. Star players come to play in big games. Tyus Battle looked and played terrible tonight. He let a six foot guard school him tonight. I'm not one to say the sky is falling, but it looks like this team is NIT bound at best. I can only hope I'm wrong.

Even when we play well for stretches we can’t build big leads because we play sooooo damnnnn slowwww.

We’ve taken more than 70 shots just once this year. Duke has only had a couple games where they’ve taken *fewer* than 70 shots.

We play on the razors edge because our pace is glacial, so every missed shot, missed FT, turnover or lost rebound is a catastrophe.

Even when we play well for stretches we can’t build big leads because we play sooooo damnnnn slowwww.

We’ve taken more than 70 shots just once this year. Duke has only had a couple games where they’ve taken *fewer* than 70 shots.

We play on the razors edge because our pace is glacial, so every missed shot, missed FT, turnover or lost rebound is a catastrophe.
It really has become the hoops version of full meathead.

Good thing college hoops is played in halves. I wouldn't be able to handle JB pressers where he talks about wanting to keep it close in the 4th.

Wildhack can’t be that stupid and let this scheme and lack of fundmentals continue. We’re most likely NIT. I thought UB would blow us out tonight and PM’d a couple of people in private in case anyone is doubting me. Well...
How many times are you going to post your genius bets? Cool, keep making off the dead horse that is Cuse hoops

Players make plays. Players execute plays. Players should make free throws. Players should not dribble the ball off their foot. Players need to fight for rebounds. This is not 100% on the staff. It's like people have never played sports in their life
Coach designs an offense that leads to chucking up 3’s with 3,seconds left on the time clock

One of the biggest issues is were constantly playing 4 on 5 and when Marek joins the party at forward it becomes 3 on 5. Your not going to beat any teams with more then a pulse when a quarter of your roster (Chukwu Sidibe Buddy and Marek) has been borderline awful and at times essentially useless. Recruiting or lack there of is killing this team. Carey looks the part but hes the only thing offthe bench right now.

This is only because of our offensive “system”, or lack thereof...

Not everyone in college basketballl has guys all over the court who are awesome...but the coaches implement offensive structures that allow them to make plays.

No, average players can’t recieve the ball 24 feet from the basket and magically score...Battle can, Melo can, etc...but average players can receive the ball 12 feet from the basket, off of a down-screen, or a post-up, and with their teammates in supportive, structured motion can make plays...we see it against us all the time.

Love Boeheim but there is simply no coaching happening anywhere. Rewind that Buffalo game, watch a shot go up, see how many Buffalo players are boxing out and how many Syracuse are...the answers are all and none. That’s coaching (and it’s not the zone...you can block out, look for a body, we simply don’t, it’s not ingrained and not practiced effectively). Those offensive rebounds weren’t fortune or magic, they were effort and structure through practice.

Having one awful press, and one Defense is just lazy coaching...having no offensive sets that seek to penetrate perimeter other than a dribble-drive is lazy or inadequate (and they’re not there, we’ve watched long enough to know that...we have guys who can’t execute a post-pass).

I have every confidence with pull it together and create some moments, because collectively their talent is better than this...but there is zero evidence of any effective coaching/strategy happening behind the scenes to turn the collective group into a better whole than its parts.

This is the annual luxury/pain of being a fan of this program...we get good players, etc, but the teams have to glue together over time

From the start of the 2009-10 season to the 25-0 run in 2013-14, we played 172 games and went 146-26 (84.88% winning percentage). Even if you take out those 25 games and look at the 2009-10 to the start of the 2013-14 season before our 25-0 run, we still won 82% of our games in that time frame.

Since the 25-0 run, we've played 159 games and have gone 93-66 (58.49% winning percentage).

It's like we are watching a completely different program these last few years. Our offense was clearly way better from 2009-10 to the 2013-14 run, but there has to be more of an explanation and more accountability from JB as to why the program has seen a 26% decline in wins over these time periods. We clearly have individually talented players, but they clearly aren't working when you put them all together.

From the start of the 2009-10 season to the 25-0 run in 2013-14, we played 172 games and went 146-26 (84.88% winning percentage). Even if you take out those 25 games and look at the 2009-10 to the start of the 2013-14 season before our 25-0 run, we still won 82% of our games in that time frame.

Since the 25-0 run, we've played 159 games and have gone 93-66 (58.49% winning percentage).

It's like we are watching a completely different program these last few years. Our offense was clearly way better from 2009-10 to the 2013-14 run, but there has to be more of an explanation and more accountability from JB as to why the program has seen a 26% decline in wins over these time periods. We clearly have individually talented players, but they clearly aren't working when you put them all together.

This has not been an elite program since 2014. It’s not even been a very good program since then. 93-66? That’s awful for Syracuse’s standards.

This is only because of our offensive “system”, or lack thereof...

Not everyone in college basketballl has guys all over the court who are awesome...but the coaches implement offensive structures that allow them to make plays.

No, average players can’t recieve the ball 24 feet from the basket and magically score...Battle can, Melo can, etc...but average players can receive the ball 12 feet from the basket, off of a down-screen, or a post-up, and with their teammates in supportive, structured motion can make plays...we see it against us all the time.

Love Boeheim but there is simply no coaching happening anywhere. Rewind that Buffalo game, watch a shot go up, see how many Buffalo players are boxing out and how many Syracuse are...the answers are all and none. That’s coaching (and it’s not the zone...you can block out, look for a body, we simply don’t, it’s not ingrained and not practiced effectively). Those offensive rebounds weren’t fortune or magic, they were effort and structure through practice.

Having one awful press, and one Defense is just lazy coaching...having no offensive sets that seek to penetrate perimeter other than a dribble-drive is lazy or inadequate (and they’re not there, we’ve watched long enough to know that...we have guys who can’t execute a post-pass).

I have every confidence with pull it together and create some moments, because collectively their talent is better than this...but there is zero evidence of any effective coaching/strategy happening behind the scenes to turn the collective group into a better whole than its parts.

This is the annual luxury/pain of being a fan of this program...we get good players, etc, but the teams have to glue together over time

Zelda Zonk had a post a few days ago about how JB had become a lazy coach. It was hard to argue with any of his points.

jb does not seem to have the fire----and i agree with orangemen, it appears not a whole lot of coaching or direction going on. no team leadership either. i said the other day he appears indifferent to me and i still feel that way. something about his demeanor has changed and he seems burned out.

Hes an impossible spot. I hope for John's sake Desko turns back the clock this year or hes got two enormous issues hes going to have to address.
It's a very good point Jeremy. JW is awesome and I am so glad he's here. I will argue that extending Dino, a coach he didn't hire is a much easier task than what he has on his plate for both mens hoops and mens lax. Both have long time highly successful coaches who appear to be near the end, and have struggled. Making decisions on how to reinvigorate both of those programs will really speak to his skills as an AD.

So it's clear??? There is no onus on the players?

Ed, how many consecutive seasons of mediocre/on-the-bubble basketball would it take for you to support a coaching change? We're at Year 5. Would it take 7 years, 10 years, 15 years? Honestly curious. What's the cut-off for you?

Can't have a slow team and play even a remotely inefficient offense. There won't be enough possessions to overcome bad shots/turnovers. Look at UVA, they play s l o w, but it works because they treat each offensive possession like gold and work tons of passes and motion to get the best shot possible, not a 19.5-ft step-back two pointer.

No way the team's performance should have dropped off this far, at minimum.

I think people are overreacting to a couple disappointing losses. I don't think this team is much, if any, worse than it was last year. It was a pretty bad team last year and it's a pretty bad team this year. We'll see how things are in ACC play, but right now, compared to last year:

- More points per game
- Less points allowed per game
- Higher TS%
- Slightly higher TS% allowed
- Drawing fouls at a higher rate
- Rebounding at a higher rate (both offensively and defensively)

Looking at individual players:
- Battle has improved significantly in terms of scoring efficiency
- Brissett has regressed slightly due to his FT% declining
- Chukwu has improved in terms of scoring efficiency and block percentage
- Dolezaj has improved significantly in terms of scoring efficiency
- Howard has fallen off a cliff efficiency wise, though his sample size is particularly small since he missed
- Carey and Hughes have both been solid while Buddy has been horrific

I think people overrated the hell out of our players in the offseason (not just here but nationwide in the media too) and came into this season with a super inflated opinion of what this team was. I understand that people expect guys to improve, but with Battle and Howard in particular, I thought those two were topped out already. The only real disappointment IMO is the lack of progress from Brissett. I was hoping he would show improvement this year, but people were acting like he was a 1st round NBA talent despite the only thing really standing out about his game at all is that he did a decent job rebounding as a freshman and was a pretty good free throw shooter.

Edit: This isn't to say that I think Boeheim is doing a good job of coaching this team/drawing up plays, etc., or that I'm satisfied with what our players are at this point in their careers. I think the offensive scheme Boeheim coaches is pretty much the worst possible scheme for this collection of players personally, so it's just a bad match on both ends.

I think people are overreacting to a couple disappointing losses.

In fairness, it's four disappointing losses (we should be able to beat UConn and Oregon without Frank, or at least not get dominated), and we were an eyelash from it being five disappointing losses (G'town).

And we are hovering around a 60% winning percentage in the past 5 years.

Melancer46, this program has been mediocre for the last 5 years. What you say we’re “overreacting” to are the indicators (ODU/UB losses) and the confirmation of the descent of the program.

I think people are overreacting to a couple disappointing losses. I don't think this team is much, if any, worse than it was last year. It was a pretty bad team last year and it's a pretty bad team this year. We'll see how things are in ACC play, but right now, compared to last year:

- More points per game
- Less points allowed per game
- Higher TS%
- Slightly higher TS% allowed
- Drawing fouls at a higher rate
- Rebounding at a higher rate (both offensively and defensively)

Looking at individual players:
- Battle has improved significantly in terms of scoring efficiency
- Brissett has regressed slightly due to his FT% declining
- Chukwu has improved in terms of scoring efficiency and block percentage
- Dolezaj has improved significantly in terms of scoring efficiency
- Howard has fallen off a cliff efficiency wise, though his sample size is particularly small since he missed
- Carey and Hughes have both been solid while Buddy has been horrific

I think people overrated the hell out of our players in the offseason (not just here but nationwide in the media too) and came into this season with a super inflated opinion of what this team was. I understand that people expect guys to improve, but with Battle and Howard in particular, I thought those two were topped out already. The only real disappointment IMO is the lack of progress from Brissett. I was hoping he would show improvement this year, but people were acting like he was a 1st round NBA talent despite the only thing really standing out about his game at all is that he did a decent job rebounding as a freshman and was a pretty good free throw shooter.

We have FOUR preseason losses, including two in a row at home -- allow that to sink in for a moment. Nobody is overreacting -- it is the reality of where this team is.

And it wasn't just fans or the media -- the coaching staff expressed that they expected this team to be top 3 in the ACC. So, there's a disconnect there as well.

To me, that isn't an overreaction to a mediocre team giving mediocre performance -- this team has underachieved. It isn't acceptable for this team to be the same as last year, or to have regressed. It is actually quite disconcerting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom