Spring game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Spring game

Long intercepted on a tipped ball. Long has a ways to go to be No. 2. He has looked shaky.

Shaf calls the scrimmage with about 30 seconds to go.

Overall, I thought it was fun. Guys took it seriously, WR's are definitely our playmakers, GM will get the ball A LOT, CB depth is definitely an issue with quit a few missed tackles by the backups.

Coach telling the players to get at it in the summer and then go over and sign autographs. Made sure to point out Hickey. Told guys to make sure to talk with the kids. A lot of "Yes Sir"'s.

Despite his preseason predictions of competing for the starting spot, AJ might want to think about a redshirt. Probably underestimated the jump from HS to college.

coach highlighted the play of Hunt, Kobena, and Broyld. Not many opportunities to run the ball. seemed to be a more pass oriented offense. Maybe less risk of injuries. Biggest surprise for me was the play of Wilson. Receivers looked to be a solid. Playing Broyld on the outside will maybe allow for some big plays against smaller corner backs.

IMHO both AJ and Edouard will be redshirted, just as Kimble and Wilson were last year. I have always been a fan of Wilson but Kimble has had some back injuries this Spring so I think we will have to wait until August to see who will be the #2 QB. I am just happy that there is potential for a true backup this year.

Keeping the offense very vanilla. This will be ammo for the trolls but I am sure things will change. I really am concerned about o-line depth. Not having Knapp hurts and I doubt we can redshirt either roberts or ward.
Coach McDonald really didn't show much other than the long hand-offs and a few seam routes. I wonder how much of the the playbook we'll see against Nova?

Really need improvement with the shotgun snaps. I think we took Macky for granted because he was so precise.

Coach McDonald really didn't show much other than the long hand-offs and a few seam routes. I wonder how much of the the playbook we'll see against Nova?

Really need improvement with the shotgun snaps. I think we took Macky for granted because he was so precise.
I agree. A lot of the bad snaps were from Kendal Moore, which is understandable. He looks bigger than the 250-260 he was listed at. Considering the numbers, I think he needs to fully commit to bulking up. I don't want to say that he wasn't committed to it, but there has to be a way for him to put on weight under the tutelage of Hicks.

Brent Axe‏@BrentAxeMedia 21m
Attendance for the Syracuse football spring game listed at 4,071.

That is about 71 more than Duke had for their Spring Game.

Broyld, Esteem, Avant, Cooper all looked pretty good. I though Whigham and Scissum looked good on Defense, Scissum looks like he gained about 15 lbs. If this were a real game, Darius Kelley would have pasted Long to the carpet on one of his attempted runs.

Donnie Simmons speed off the edge was very impressive and Thompson was looking pretty svelt as well, looks to be in good shape.

I was also pretty impressed with Coleman taking on double teams with the ones on defense. The four man rotation on the interior DL will be Coleman and Crume starting with Sloan/Williams rotating in until the freshman get here in August.

Antwon Bailey, Keon, Bromley, Derrell Smith were all there and there was a very large gentleman wearing a black short sleeve golf shirt I couldn't figure out who he was.

Speed and elusiveness from the H-back and WR position was much improved and Hunt looked Diesel with nice velocity on his throws.

Brent Axe‏@BrentAxeMedia 21m
Attendance for the Syracuse football spring game listed at 4,071.

That is about 71 more than Duke had for their Spring Game.

That is more than last year. It was a fun atmosphere. The train whistle startled my 2.5 YO daughter, it was hysterical. It's much louder when there isn't a lot of people in there.

biggest take away for me is that if we have to we can win with Wilson. Kid is impressive

He is the only one currently on the roster that even looks ready to step in and play IMO. I think if Wilson has to play, we are in good hands. Long and Edouard should and need to red shirt.

John Miller looked good at C, Lasker and Palmer looked good as well. When Miller went down, Trudo moved to Center and Alex Hayes came in at guard.

Off the top of my head:

Impressed with: Wilson, Broyld, Morris, Estime, Simmons, Parris and like Winfield and Cooper. Fleming is an enigma to me. I hope he can stay healthy.

Depressed with: Tackling from secondary

Wild guess ... it's Kendall Moore.

Pressed into emergency duty as a C.

Unless we have any unidentified walk-ons that are at least 6-5.

Moore looked skinny...had a heck of a block for Kobena.

Well, I had a "pop-in visitor" drop by to see my new baby. Right at 110 pm. So I am now proceeding to watch the replay. Looks like there was positive things to see based off the comments here.

McDonald on the spring game

Funny thing he said that Ashton against our 2 defense was unfair because they can't tackle him. The newspaper said that they thought Kimble and Long would be the 2nd QB. Totally opposite of what I saw, Wilson should be the clear number 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom