St Bonaventure Game Thread... | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

St Bonaventure Game Thread...

It is a shame that the refs were the three stooges but we have to own that show. No way I’m blaming the refs for the L.

I can’t stand these ‘Bona’ fans. I wanna spit in their beer.
They acted EXACTLY how our fans act when we travel to road/neutral venues...being as loud & boisterous as possible & trying to "take over" the stadium. They hadn't beaten us in 36 years & were 0-10 all-time in The Dome, why would they not be excited? I personally loved their energy & the atmosphere it created, especially as Frank & Adams went back & forth to end the 1st half. Many of their fans in the 300s were students & I had pleasant conversations with a few...they were surprisingly knowledgeable of their program & most also rooted for SU. Kudos to them for braving the weather & supporting their team the weekend before Christmas.

The charge call is in place to stop a player from barreling down the lane OUT OF CONTROL and bashing in to an opponent, which is dangerous and leads to injuries. It was not conceived to stop minor contact, as basketball is a contact sport. There should be calls everytime players come into contact, like on picks and inbounds if that is the way they view the game.

Last edited:
They acted EXACTLY how our fans act when we travel to road/neutral venues...being as loud & boisterous as possible & trying to "take over" the stadium. They hadn't beaten us in 36 years & were 0-10 all-time in The Dome, why would they not be excited? I personally loved their energy & the atmosphere it created, especially as Frank & Adams went back & forth to end the 1st half. Many of their fans in the 300s were students & I had pleasant conversations with a few...they were surprisingly knowledgeable of their program & most also rooted for SU. Kudos to them for braving the weather & supporting their team the weekend before Christmas.

I have no problem with their students up high. They were making a ton of noise.

A lot of the scattered people around me on the lower level weren’t even watching the game. Guys in front of me were legitimately not watching/paying attention but then would stop their conversation for a few seconds to cheer after they scored, lol.

Players, staff, and fans reacted like they won the NC. Facebook friends all throwing up statuses about being the #1 B-ball school in NY, etc. Cool to be excited, but wow. It’s a nice win, but it’s just a Dec. regular season win.

He won’t answer.
He is like me and many other thin skinned when pressed.
His offensive philosophy doesn’t adjust to his personnel. He is more interested in defense.

Well played!

I have no problem with their students up high. They were making a ton of noise.

A lot of the scattered people around me on the lower level weren’t even watching the game. Guys in front of me were legitimately not watching/paying attention but then would stop their conversation for a few seconds to cheer after they scored, lol.

Players, staff, and fans reacted like they won the NC. Facebook friends all throwing up statuses about being the #1 B-ball school in NY, etc. Cool to be excited, but wow. It’s a nice win, but it’s just a Dec. regular season win.
Yeah, the "I'm going to pay attention & be a super-huge fan only when we're successful crowd" would annoy me too. Like I said, I was up in 310 but watching the game on replay this morning, I can only imagine how annoying the Ashy Larry doppleganger wearing the Mickey Mouse sweater sitting near Bonnie's tunnel was...he looked really loud & obnoxious.

I’m honestly curious about this if anyone knows...where do all these Bonnies people come from? Are a lot of their students from NY and then they stick around NY?

As far as I know it’s a pretty small school, with minimal history of success. Like they’re A-10, but not like a Temple or Xavier or something with a strong b-ball brand and history. Where do all these people come from and why are they still all so into that school so much?

Yeah, the "I'm going to pay attention & be a super-huge fan only when we're successful crowd" would annoy me too. Like I said, I was up in 310 but watching the game on replay this morning, I can only imagine how annoying the Ashy Larry doppleganger wearing the Mickey Mouse sweater sitting near Bonnie's tunnel was...he looked really loud & obnoxious.

I posted last night in this thread...had a bunch of middle aged people wearing sweater vests and talking about wine for like 10 straight minutes near me, and then cheering when they scored. One of them even started obnxiously signaling and yelling “timeout!” when they went up 8-3...and he was barely watching the game. I think I said in the game thread that I wanted to slap the sleeper hold on him, lol. You can’t cheer and talk crap if you’re not even paying attention!

I moved seats a few sections over to sneak in with some friends nearby for the second half. Fewer Bonnies over there but had a good view of some of the dorks behind their bench and on their staff. Who are these clowns in suits turning around and playing to their fans every time they made a play? Weird. I’d assume they’re coaches or trainers, but they double as cheerleaders too? Goofy scene. I can safely conclude that I would’ve transferred after one semester if I had attended that school. Not my type of crowd.

Last edited:
I’m honestly curious about this if anyone knows...where do all these Bonnies people come from? Are a lot of their students from NY and then they stick around NY?

As far as I know it’s a pretty small school, with minimal history of success. Like they’re A-10, but not like a Temple or Xavier or something with a strong b-ball brand and history. Where do all these people come from and why are they still all so into that school so much?

My wife went to school there. I'm not kidding when I say that half the people in her class were from the Rochester area.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of these bona fans rooted for SU every other game.
Absolutely. One of the guys I saw last night loves the Cuse except when they play the Bonnie's.

In fact, his sister used to work in the communications office at SU and used to hook us up with tshirts.

My wife went to school there. I'm not kidding when I say that half the people in her class were from the Rochester area.

Makes sense. The location of that school doesn’t seem like it would make it much of a draw for out of state students as it seems pretty hard to get to and “off the beaten path.” Makes sense that they’d get a lot of Western NY kids.

Makes sense. The location of that school doesn’t seem like it would make it much of a draw for out of state students as it seems pretty hard to get to and “off the beaten path.” Makes sense that they’d get a lot of Western NY kids.
Most are in state kids, besides groups of the players, or at least always used to be. My friends and I spent a lot of time in Olean back in the day, playing against the Bonnies players and other local players from JCC, etc. If the players weren't from NY, they typically were from Pittsburgh area and Ohio, etc. They love SU, and even when we used to go down there, they'd act like since we were from Syracuse, it was a big deal to them.

Weirdly fun atmosphere, and some great parties every weekend down there like you were in a bigger city setting. Not what you'd typically expect if you went down there, at least in the 90's.

College basketball officials love to call the charge. It’s one of the reasons the style of play stinks compared to the NBA. All the rules are in favor of the defense.

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a Tom Emanski style video on how to counter teams (Duke) that flop.

JB knows basketball that’s the thing.
He really is smart on hoops and he has spent time with D’Antoni, McMillan and these NBA offensive coaches.
Coach K has added JB’s zone to his defensive repertoire.
We should have more sets than just 1 on 1 or 1-4 ball screen pick and roll with a big who can’t shoot.

JB stopped giving a schlit about offense in the mid 90's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom