St Bonaventure Game Thread... | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

St Bonaventure Game Thread...

It is a shame that the refs were the three stooges but we have to own that show. No way I’m blaming the refs for the L.

I can’t stand these ‘Bona’ fans. I wanna spit in their beer.

as mentioned by RF and a couple others above - that we didn't appear to try and take advantage of both Adams/Mobley w 4 fouls, or get either of them fouled out, was/is incredibly frustrated.
when your offensive MO is letting your players create things and your one real creator doesn't have it for essentially the whole game, you're most likely going to lose

Yup. I don’t get it. Aren’t they being told that? And if they are do they just short circuit and jack up the shots? I will say it is a real struggle for Frank getting around his guy and then when the hedger comes we’re dead/done. There isn’t enough movement and IQ built into the offense to counter this rather simple stuff, IMO.

It looked like a flop and a no call. That's not how the refs saw it. More worried about Tyus than Sid right now, though. We're they that good on him.
When your offensive game is heavily reliant on hitting contested jumpers , you’re going to have games like this

Last edited:
Now if she said come to the booze party...there’s booze and maybe some cookies...that’d be different!

I can't throw her too far under the bus. She mentioned booze, but not the game. I went at halftime and when I got there, game was on. Win win.

It is a shame that the refs were the three stooges but we have to own that show. No way I’m blaming the refs for the L.

I can’t stand these ‘Bona’ fans. I wanna spit in their beer.

Lol, they legit acted like they won the national championship. They’re in the A-10 right? It’s not like they’re Colgate. Strange people.

When your offensive game is heavily reliant on hitting contested jumpers , you’re going to have games like this

The low post game is dead though. Nobody develop a post game and nobody recruit the ones that do exist. Makes no sense. Hoops is an ugly, ugly game at every level below the NBA...and that’s only good because the shooters are elite.

The low post game is dead though. Nobody develop a post game and nobody recruit the ones that do exist. Makes no sense. Hoops is an ugly, ugly game at every level below the NBA...and that’s only good because the shooters are elite.

That’s true but plenty of teams run cohesive offense without it in college. Freeing up your shooters, getting your players good looks, movement, etc.

That’s true but plenty of teams run cohesive offense without it in college. Freeing up your shooters, getting your players good looks, movement, etc.

Agreed. But it’s so much easier to run an offense when you can score inside. I believe I’ve read that it’s statistical fact that players shoot better on kick outs than off any other pass, which makes sense because eye test and even my own experiences tell me that’s how it is.

The lack of emphasis on this part of the game baffles me. You can’t really drive to the rim because you risk your player, that’s probably talented if he can get to the basket, getting a foul every time you do that. Why not the post game?

I have a hard time believing Brissett couldn’t do damage in there against a lot of these teams.

Agreed. But it’s so much easier to run an offense when you can score inside. I believe I’ve read that it’s statistical fact that players shoot better on kick outs than off any other pass, which makes sense because eye test and even my own experiences tell me that’s how it is.

The lack of emphasis on this part of the game baffles me. You can’t really drive to the rim because you risk your player, that’s probably talented if he can get to the basket, getting a foul every time you do that. Why not the post game?

I have a hard time believing Brissett couldn’t do damage in there against a lot of these teams.

I hear ya. Puzzling for sure.

I hear ya. Puzzling for sure.

look, the reason we look like we don't move on offense is because there is nowhere for players to go. the reason there is nowhere for them to go is because only a couple of them can shoot and thus spread the floor. Almost all of our offensive woes are directly related to being unable to even pose a low level threat of hitting an outside shot. It makes everyone look stuck together and congested. Our love of the pick and roll only worsens things as it brings two defenders to cover one guy, usually battle or howard, who ironically don't require picks to get by their men. There is no threat of a roll with this team, so it essentially results in a double team situation.

look, the reason we look like we don't move on offense is because there is nowhere for players to go. the reason there is nowhere for them to go is because only a couple of them can shoot and thus spread the floor. Almost all of our offensive woes are directly related to being unable to even pose a low level threat of hitting an outside shot. It makes everyone look stuck together and congested. Our love of the pick and roll only worsens things as it brings two defenders to cover one guy, usually battle or howard, who ironically don't require picks to get by their men. There is no threat of a roll with this team, so it essentially results in a double team situation.

True.

Wouldn’t mind seeing some more off ball screens to free guys up a bit. The defenders barely had to move more than a few feet on a lot of those possessions. No post game and poor shooting means even the best one on one players are going to have trouble creating good shots if that’s all
we do.

Also I wouldn’t mind playing the Bonnies every year. We will beat them 90% of the time, and maybe eventually the presence of their fans making noise will embarrass ours into getting into the game in the first half for once. Pretty good atmosphere for a crappy game, after awhile. I think the SU fans wanted it extra bad after being annoyed by the Bonnies fans all game. Those geeks will be chirping about this win until the next time we beat them...might as well play them next year and put an end to it.

Feet sliding over right before Oshae takes off... Falling back before contact is even made.

Watched it live, watched the replay and watched this 5 times. It's a freaking charge. If there's going to be doubt don't run into a guy who hasn't moved 2 feet in that past 20 seconds.

Feet sliding over right before Oshae takes off... Falling back before contact is even made.

I freakin hate this BS so much, why do I even still watch?

1. We badly need a shooter. Help on Battle and Howard and Brissett and pack the paint and we can’t score.

2. Bonnies fans are the most annoying fanbase I’ve seen. Loud, but not in a knowledgeable sports fan way. Act like a bunch of nerds who have no real friends so they have to go to alumni events and meet up with other nerds who they don’t even know but went to the same rinky dink school. Every female I saw was ugly too.

3. The little bald ahole made every single call against us. We would’ve won ugly if it weren’t for him. Horrible.
This is the most complete write up of this game I could imagine

I really like his game. He gets more open from three than anyone. I want him to let two a game rip.

Rumors are that Southerland used to do around that amount, or more.

Watched it live, watched the replay and watched this 5 times. It's a freaking charge. If there's going to be doubt don't run into a guy who hasn't moved 2 feet in that past 20 seconds.

No it is not. Defender slides over right before, starts falling before contact, is trying to lift his shoulder up to ensure more of him hits Oshae and Oshae moves to avoid the contact. If that's a charge then half of our flops on D this year called blocks are charges too.

You really need to watch the defenders feet as he purposely sets himself to fall on purpose and does so before contact. If he doesn't fall on purpose, the actual contact is a clear foul of Oshae. By falling early he provides the illusion that Oshae runs into him squarely. It's a good ole flop and a 3 pt play.

I respectfully disagree. The Cuse.com highlight video has the perfect angle. Brissett clearly steps past the Bona dude and only has incidental contact.

It’s not a charge. Brissett avoided him on the drive no way that minimal contact should cause anyone to go down.
That is a fine in the NBA for simulation flopping.

Guys feet were moving and started to come off the ground before Oshae made contact. In the NBA that’s a block every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom