St Bonaventure Game Thread... | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

St Bonaventure Game Thread...

Didn't know that a shoulder graze was a charge either. NBA would be sending him some paperwork on Monday for flopping.

On the other hand, our offense is so freaking pitiful! The walk it up the court, stop after half court, start running something around 15 seconds, when we can't create anything, and then force up a contested jumper after an iso, makes me want to vomit! And this isn't a bash Frank post. He's a quality guard, but is a lousy PG and is being asked to do something that he just is not very good at. I do feel though, that he is running the exact offense he is being asked to run(since it's the same stagnant crap we've been watching for a while now). It's just terrible a scheme and even worse execution.

Yeah, Frank is doing what he can, improving, but his lack of speed is killing us on offense, IMO, as a PG. Time and time again the helper/hedger comes up top and Frank just can’t get around him and stops his dribble. Then somebody has to run back and help Frank out. We should be having all kinds of mismatches and making them pay for that.

Yeah, the scheme just is what it is. Same old slop. At this point, I’m just assuming they are being instructed not to push the tempo and play downhill. I don’t get it.

It looked like a flop and a no call. That's not how the refs saw it. More worried about Tyus than Sid right now, though. We're they that good on him.

There were signs we played two physical tough games already this week. Not excusing it but we looked like a team that was a little banged up. It certainly doesn't help when your very talented backup C is a shell of himself either.

They keep settling for perimeter shots instead of driving to the rim. I don't get this especially when they have the athletic advantage. Tyus' shot wasn't falling yet he kept shooting. Drive and get to the line.

A well timed brisket thief...
The ref took our lunch and gave it to the Bonnies. I can't remember the last time a charge like that was called. It's a no-call, count the basket, play on situation every time. Unbelievable.

They weren't good but St Bona definitely benefitted a lot more than us. In OT, guy just runs into PC and he is fouled out, shoves Marek and he gets an OF and then the Brissett- call. Any balance they may have had in the first 40.. when brown in OT.

No doubt. Paschal had probably four or five blatant over-the-backs which weren’t called. I was shocked. Probably a few fouls on those dunks too. But, that just goes to show you how terrible the refs were.

Yeah, Frank is doing what he can, improving, but his lack of speed is killing us on offense, IMO, as a PG. Time and time again the helper/hedger comes up top and Frank just can’t get around him and stops his dribble. Then somebody has to run back and help Frank out. We should be having all kinds of mismatches and making them pay for that.

Yeah, the scheme just is what it is. Same old slop.
Or as dasher would tell me call JB’s show and ask him About it while getting stonewalled by the guy.

They keep settling for perimeter shots instead of driving to the rim. I don't get this especially when they have the athletic advantage. Tyus' shot wasn't falling yet he kept shooting. Drive and get to the line.

What was more disturbing was that the two Bonnie guards both had four fouls. Take it to the rack in OT, and get those guys out of the game. Don't settle for jump shots.

At the end of regulation Battle took contact and no call and honestly good. Make the play. The call on Brissett was completely counter to that.

It should never get to that verses an school from Olean but still.

1. We badly need a shooter. Help on Battle and Howard and Brissett and pack the paint and we can’t score.

2. Bonnies fans are the most annoying fanbase I’ve seen. Loud, but not in a knowledgeable sports fan way. Act like a bunch of nerds who have no real friends so they have to go to alumni events and meet up with other nerds who they don’t even know but went to the same rinky dink school. Every female I saw was ugly too.

3. The little bald ahole made every single call against us. We would’ve won ugly if it weren’t for him. Horrible.

Last edited:
What was more disturbing was that the two Bonnie guards both had four fouls. Take it to the rack in OT, and get those guys out of the game. Don't settle for jump shots.

It was clear Marek saw he could get to the rim anytime he wanted right as they sent him out of the game. Wish they gave him more of a green light. He was all over and balling out.

We scored 57 points. Refs didn't control that. They we're awful for both teams.

We did suck... But we weren't St Bonaventure bad. All their points in OT were free throws. And they hadn't scored a basket in 14 minutes at end of 2nd half.

Even tho we we're bad we still deserved to win that 60 to 58

That "charge", as bad as it was, wasn't even even in the top-5 worst calls of the game...
for starters, that crew whistled what, 25 fouls in the 1st half? Over halfway thru the 2nd half there were exactly 2 fouls called...
I'm fairly certain they had the wrong guy shooting FTs on one of our fouls in OT - should have been #3 shooting and they let #30 shoot...
I haven't seen a more poorly officiated game in a long, long time.
(and none of this is to say we played well or "deserved" to win)

I seriously hope somebody asks about the tempo thing. I just don’t get it. Get downhill. I’m not saying Loyola Marymount but come on!
JB knows basketball that’s the thing.
He really is smart on hoops and he has spent time with D’Antoni, McMillan and these NBA offensive coaches.
Coach K has added JB’s zone to his defensive repertoire.
We should have more sets than just 1 on 1 or 1-4 ball screen pick and roll with a big who can’t shoot.

That "charge", as bad as it was, wasn't even even in the top-5 worst calls of the game...
for starters, that crew whistled what, 25 fouls in the 1st half? Over halfway thru the 2nd half there were exactly 2 fouls called...
I'm fairly certain they had the wrong guy shooting FTs on one of our fouls in OT - should have been #3 shooting and they let #30 shoot...
I haven't seen a more poorly officiated game in a long, long time.
(and none of this is to say we played well or "deserved" to win)

Your last sentence is going to be lost amongst the [correct] posts about how anemic our offense was tonight. Both things--we stunk offensively, and the calls against us down the stretch were abysmal--can be true.

It was clear Marek saw he could get to the rim anytime he wanted right as they sent him out of the game. Wish they gave him more of a green light. He was all over and balling out.
I really like his game. He gets more open from three than anyone. I want him to let two a game rip.

Watching the first half it became obvious the refs were going to decide this game. First 20 minutes was just a foul fest both ways, simply ugly to watch. That charge was not a good call, but we should never have been in that position had we some imagination on offense.

Or as dasher would tell me call JB’s show and ask him About it while getting stonewalled by the guy.
How do you know if you don't try? Complaining to us does no good. Give him a call. The guy we named our awards after hated the zone and was always saying he would give jb a clinic if he wanted. Be constructive. Tell him what he is doing wrong.

Marek makes a great move for a hoop and fouls out on an offensive foul the next possession. Brissett makes a great move and then gets a charge the next possession. Garbage reffing. Mid major reffing. College hoops is so scrubby.

big picture, I'm fine - to me the game essentially "cancels out" the Maryland win, as I did not expect us to win that game - and getting both @ gtown and neutral ucon is what imo was most important - 11-2 preconf is fine... just a shame how we lost that one

Agreed with RF and Pearl31...don’t think I have seen such a poorly and bizarre officiated game in a long time. As far as the actual game, we really did it to ourseleves. Terrible offense, bad shots, missed bunnies, missed FTs, not closing on shooters a few times, allowing too many lobs, etc. Still, can’t really fault the defense too much. Our offense did next to nothing. 18 FG, lol. This isn’t an exhibition game. We’re almost in January. Just can’t play offense like this. Sadly, I think we’ll see more of this.

Agreed with RF and Pearl31...don’t think I have seen such a poorly and bizarre officiated game in a long time. As far as the actual game, we really did it to ourseleves. Terrible offense, bad shots, missed bunnies, missed FTs, not closing on shooters a few times, allowing too many lobs, etc. Still, can’t really fault the defense too much. Our offense did next to nothing. 18 FG, lol.
as mentioned by RF and a couple others above - that we didn't appear to try and take advantage of both Adams/Mobley w 4 fouls, or get either of them fouled out, was/is incredibly frustrated.
when your offensive MO is letting your players create things and your one real creator doesn't have it for essentially the whole game, you're most likely going to lose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom