St. John's | Syracusefan.com

St. John's

shandeezy7

Living Legend
I know the drum has been beat enough times about how horrible of a loss that was for us, but good god, I had no idea they HAVEN'T WON A SINGLE GAME since they beat us! 12 straight losses! And it could very well get up to 22 straight losses by the end of the season. St. John's vs. DePaul on February 25th may end up being the greatest battle of ineptitude that college basketball has ever seen.

Besides the Clemson game which should have been a W, the St Johns game was a real What. We knew they weren't a very good team but they were all world that day. Except for UNC who is one of the best teams this year, we haven't given up as many points as we did that day. In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter, but I would like a do over.

I know the drum has been beat enough times about how horrible of a loss that was for us, but good god, I had no idea they HAVEN'T WON A SINGLE GAME since they beat us! 12 straight losses! And it could very well get up to 22 straight losses by the end of the season. St. John's vs. DePaul on February 25th may end up being the greatest battle of ineptitude that college basketball has ever seen.

Inexplicable performance from both teams. Our defense wasn't great, but St. John's was hitting absolute bombs from long range. Unfortunately we caught them on their best day. Hopefully that's a game that the committee factor's in JB's absence when reviewing our resume.

Inexplicable performance from both teams. Our defense wasn't great, but St. John's was hitting absolute bombs from long range. Unfortunately we caught them on their best day. Hopefully that's a game that the committee factor's in JB's absence when reviewing our resume.
I firmly believe we would not have lost that game with JB on the bench. That said, that game and the Clemson game are what's standing between SU being on the bubble and being ranked. Oh Lord

Inexplicable performance from both teams. Our defense wasn't great, but St. John's was hitting absolute bombs from long range. Unfortunately we caught them on their best day.

We say this every time we stub our toe against someone inferior... that their players somehow overachieved. St. Johns was hitting bombs because we let them. The game wasn't even competitive... and it has nothing to do with luck. The "luck" card is just an attempt to deflect or ease the sting of the embarrassment.

We say this every time we stub our toe against someone inferior... that their players somehow overachieved. St. Johns was hitting bombs because we let them. The game wasn't even competitive... and it has nothing to do with luck. The "luck" card is just an attempt to deflect or ease the sting of the embarrassment.
Unfortunately, I agree with this. We left their shooters open the whole game. They did hit bombs, but they are also Division 1 basketball players. If you don't defend, people are going to make shots. We did not play a lick of defense that whole game. I feel like it was one of those situations where Syracuse felt they had the ability to turn it on because they knew we were the better team so they played lazy. Once it got time to turn it on, they couldn't because they played bad basketball the whole game. When we take our opponents seriously, we can beat anyone. When we don't, we can lose to anyone. This is true for most of the country as the talent difference among teams is dwindling. There are too many good players all over the country these days.

if we beat st johns (even though they basically had control of the entire game) and then either wisconsin or Clemson we are 17-6 and like a 5 or 6 seed right now.

we still caught them on their best day and 1 of our worst days.

hop was the coach.

thats all i need to know.

wonder whos on coyles list...

I thought Ed Cooley beating Villanova at home with his team playing 2-3 zone was a very impressive win.

Kaiser trying to get this thread to 10 pages with that first post.
After the vpi game we will have 9 days to discuss the abject failure that was Hops 9 game 'look see' into the future of the program.

If this season plays out like it should...and we don't make the tourney, well, let's just say we have our fall guy.

dont know him.

i would think the names would be much bigger.

like a Cooley.

but likely even bigger.

a whos who will be lining up for this job.
LOL they will be wasting their time because the job is Hop's. I guess everyone but you knows that. You know Coughlin is out as Giants coach, right?

Sometimes happens, regardless of who is on the bench. And it happens at every top program, not just at SU.

I think the St. John's can actually be used against adjusting for Boeheim.

Syracuse, with any coach, should have been able to beat St. John's, much less losing by 12. To lose like that, the players could not have been playing well and had to be inconsistent. And if the players play bad or inconsistent from time to time, how can we be sure it's the coach?

Every game that passes shows just how ridiculous that loss was. I know they are a mid-major in a mid-major conference, but for comparison's sake, that team is probably worse than any major conference team I can think of in many, many years. Worse than those DePaul winless teams. Worse than post-scandal Baylor. Worse than Wake Forest a few years ago. Maybe worse than current BC and as bad as some of those winless/1-win Northwestern teams.

If we played them 100 times, I'd be shocked if we lost more than 2-3 times. It was a perfect confluence of bad on our end and unreal on their end.

I hate that we lost that game both of the Wisconsin and Clemson games. Win even one of those and we're much further away from the bubble in the right direction. Win 2 and we're sitting pretty. Those games are why we'll be a bubble team next month and why we have very little margin for error, especially this week.

LOL they will be wasting their time because the job is Hop's. I guess everyone but you knows that. You know Coughlin is out as Giants coach, right?
of course i know 'the job is Hop's'...thats why we are discussing NOT giving it to him.

if we have to pay him to not coach, well that will be worth the net gain in wins.

Coughlin gone, now that is a travesty and an injustice.

hop was the coach.

thats all i need to know.

wonder whos on coyles list...
Boehiem ain't goin nowhere . Maybe when he needs a walker , maybe not even then. And then Jimmy gets the job.

Last edited:
Every game that passes shows just how ridiculous that loss was. I know they are a mid-major in a mid-major conference, but for comparison's sake, that team is probably worse than any major conference team I can think of in many, many years. Worse than those DePaul winless teams. Worse than post-scandal Baylor. Worse than Wake Forest a few years ago. Maybe worse than current BC and as bad as some of those winless/1-win Northwestern teams.

If we played them 100 times, I'd be shocked if we lost more than 2-3 times. It was a perfect confluence of bad on our end and unreal on their end.

I hate that we lost that game both of the Wisconsin and Clemson games. Win even one of those and we're much further away from the bubble in the right direction. Win 2 and we're sitting pretty. Those games are why we'll be a bubble team next month and why we have very little margin for error, especially this week.

Not to take away from your point that St. John's is really, really bad -- and they are seemingly getting worse. But I think this year's Rutgers team is worse(255 vs 276 in KP)

So hard to judge and rank "really bad" this is where something like KP at least gives us some objective measure anyway -- although not definitive.

I was hoping Rutgers may be the worse in a long time. There was a few others between 255 and 276, but only one team topped Rutgers#276

2012 Utah - #297 (6-25)

Last edited:
My hope is that the loss seems so bad and such an abbreation, that the committee will almost dismiss it. Clemson is our 2nd worse loss and they have an RPI around 85.

I'd be ok with them taking away our best win and our worst loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom