Class of 2015 - Stephen Thompson, Jr. | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Stephen Thompson, Jr.

Thanks Bleeds...Stevie Sr was one of my favorite players from that era. Kind of overshadowed by Sherman Douglas, Seikaly and Derrick Coleman...but definitely a key player for that team!

Thanks Bleeds...Stevie Sr was one of my favorite players from that era. Kind of overshadowed by Sherman Douglas, Seikaly and Derrick Coleman...but definitely a key player for that team!
I'm actually talking to Stevie Sr tonight and will have it posted sometime next week. I'm going to talk to him about what he's up to as well as more insight on his son.

http://www.nationoforange.com/content/getting-know-stevie-thompson-jr-406/

Yes, he is the son of former Orange great Stevie Thompson.

Considering our track record with legacy players, he is a must get. The last two played light years above their rankings. Work effort is what sets them apart. Given JB's longevity, we can benefit from legacy players more so than anyone else. In the upcoming interview I'd like to know if he would like to play for his Dad? Who else is on the horizon among children of former players?

What's not to like... good shooter, good defender and a 4.0

That's a great article. It's cool reading about how if 'Cuse offers his son, he's going to push him hard towards coming to the hill.

You either are athletic or youre not, it doesnt just show up one day, youre born with it.
According to Stevie Thompson Sr, he wasn't very athletic until his junior year of high school. That's when he developed his athleticism that made him a good college player.

He also said his son's athleticism is starting to catch up to his skill/IQ.

I gotta believe athleticism comes with hard work and heart to.

I remember going to a soccer camp when I was a kid. I was around 15 at the time and there were alot of kids 3-4 years older then me there. I wasn't very good at the time because I never put the conditioning in. Sure enough one day I showed up was doing drills during lunch before a scrimmage later in the day. Then I just had a really good day . I scored litterally 9 of my teams eleven goals and had one assist of the top of the crossbar. Something just hit me that day.
Sadly from then on I never did good at soccer again because I never put the stamina work and conditioning in. Never had the motovators to push me either.
Wish I would have because I had the foot skills and a pretty good kick.

Point being Alot of its hard work that allows you to grow more athletic. Some guys never reach their athletic ability ceilings. Stamina, running and building the leg muscles for jumping. Defensive sliding drills and the like can go a long way. I hope Triche MCW and Cooney work hard in the offseason. One of them or a coach needs to step up and become a conditioning leader for them.

Thats how Dion and Melo got better. Working their butt off in the offseason not by having fun in rec leagues.

You either are athletic or youre not, it doesnt just show up one day, youre born with it.

Everyone is born athletic, just some more than others. Mostly what it comes down to is drive. Do you have the passion to play your hardest? Derrick Coleman and Tracy McGrady both could have been legends, but they didn't have the drive.

what would be really, really nice would be to offer Jr. a schollie in the future anyway. JB always has an extra schollie in his back pocket. The legacy continues and SU continues to be a "family" w/o losing talent. If the genes come out then by ensuring the legacy we pick up a helluva player as well

Kids develop at different rates. I remember seeing kids in junior high that developed before everyone else and were the gods of the school. By sophomore year they leveled off and a bunch of other kids had caught up or surpassed them. I saw other kids they seemingly came out of nowhere to become studs.

Kids develop at different rates. I remember seeing kids in junior high that developed before everyone else and were the gods of the school. By sophomore year they leveled off and a bunch of other kids had caught up or surpassed them. I saw other kids they seemingly came out of nowhere to become studs.
Being athletic and developing into a good player is totally different.

Everyone is born athletic, just some more than others. Mostly what it comes down to is drive. Do you have the passion to play your hardest? Derrick Coleman and Tracy McGrady both could have been legends, but they didn't have the drive.

:rolling:

Couldn't agree more. The premise that hard work can make you become athletic is a fallacy. Hard work, dedication, drive, etc. can enhance what's innate, but it will not borne it. I don't care how hard the Gmac's or Steve Alford's of the world, etc. work...their lack of athletism is why they never really had a chance to make it in the NBA.

I know. I wasn't talking about developing skills. I was talking about running fast and jumping high. Not everyone develops physically at the same pace, especially teenagers.

But can he shoot free throws and jump like the old man?
I think this was 2 questions and the first should have been... Does (not "can") he shoot free throws like the old man? Can he jump like the old man? His old man is one of my ATF Orangemen and because of that I prefer not to discuss his free throw shooting.

From ESPN article recapping recent West Coast Showdown Showcase basketball tournament:

"The inaugural West Coast Showdown Showcase, directed by Donovan Small, exhibited a solid glimpse of the future of Southern California basketball. Led by a trio of terrific 2015 prospects in 6-foot Kendall Small (Huntington Beach, Calif./Ocean View), 6-foot-3 Jeremy Hemsley (La Verne, Calif./Damien), and 6-foot-2 Stephen Thompson (Torrance, Calif./Bishop Montgomery), the games were competitive and well played.

Standouts

Stephen Thompson (Torrance Calif./Bishop Montgomery)
2015, SG, 6-2/155

UCLA freshman Kyle Anderson is known as “Slo Mo” and rightfully so. However, Anderson may have some company down the road as Thompson has the same type of demeanor and production. Thompson can drain 3s, methodically maneuver his way to the rim or drop off the nifty assist. He claims interest from most of the Pac-12, UConn, Boston College, Pepperdine, Xavier and Lehigh."

From ESPN article recapping recent West Coast Showdown Showcase basketball tournament:

"The inaugural West Coast Showdown Showcase, directed by Donovan Small, exhibited a solid glimpse of the future of Southern California basketball. Led by a trio of terrific 2015 prospects in 6-foot Kendall Small (Huntington Beach, Calif./Ocean View), 6-foot-3 Jeremy Hemsley (La Verne, Calif./Damien), and 6-foot-2 Stephen Thompson (Torrance, Calif./Bishop Montgomery), the games were competitive and well played.

Standouts

Stephen Thompson (Torrance Calif./Bishop Montgomery)
2015, SG, 6-2/155

UCLA freshman Kyle Anderson is known as “Slo Mo” and rightfully so. However, Anderson may have some company down the road as Thompson has the same type of demeanor and production. Thompson can drain 3s, methodically maneuver his way to the rim or drop off the nifty assist. He claims interest from most of the Pac-12, UConn, Boston College, Pepperdine, Xavier and Lehigh."
Would his dad EVER allow him to go to UConn? I would think not.

don't see 'Cuse listed??????????????????We have done fairly well with legacies!
There is no doubt that the staff knows about him and is keeping tabs on him. If he becomes a high major caliber player, Syracuse will be involved. The problem is, he is 2015, and we already have our eyes on Isaiah Briscoe at that same position. Briscoe, at this point, is considered a much better prospect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom