Still no news on Southerland | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Still no news on Southerland

It's not that simple.
just last week you said there was movement in the last 24 to 48 hours. And it isn't that complicated either. A lot more complicated issues are resolved inside of 3 weeks. And 50/50 is just saying either he will or he won't. I would rather say it is 51-49 but I don't know which way.

th
My new born grandson is a lot cuter than this kid thoughI might be a bit prejudiced.:cool: If thats supposed to be me then I'm cuter than this kid.:p

My new born grandson is a lot cuter than this kid thoughI might be a bit prejudiced.:cool: If thats supposed to be me then I'm cuter than this kid.:p

Is it possible to be prejudiced against a cute white kid? Did you mean biased :p

The fan base should know because they pay money to see a product on the court. Like any other profitable business, customers want to know why they have an inferior product.

To treat us like Syracuse basketball players are academics first and basketball second and we are lucky to watch the games is a crock of . Syracuse benches Southerland not because they truly care that he cheated or whatever but because they want to cover their butt with the NCAA to protect their economic interests and reputation in the future. THAT is why I don't respect his "academic privacy" or any other player's.

Let's cut through the crap right now. What could possibly have happened that it is taking so long?

1. He failed a class.
2. He cheated.
3. He is academically ineligible from high school or a previous transcript.
4. He received money or gifts from x person or entity.

Select your choice. Now pick one of the below scenarios:

1. They are waiting on Syracuse to make a decision
2. They are waiting on the NCAA to make a decision.
3. They are appealing a "no" decision.
4. NCAA said "yes" but future sanctions may come so it's up to Syracuse
5. NCAA said "yes" but Syracuse is holding out as a favor to the NCAA for past indiscretions

All politics. All bureaucracy.

My belief is that they could have solved this problem within 24 hours but chose to drag it out to give the appearance that basketball players are not given preferential treatment. I personally think this is all a charade. Don't forget the O'Bannon lawsuit is really gaining traction. The NCAA wants every appearance in the world that they are a legitimate organization. Similar to how abusers give the impression that all is well when social workers drop by.

I think Southerland is just a byproduct of this. Politics. It'll get solved when the executives feel like they gave the appearance that they did thorough "research" and actually care about his academics.

Wow. No, fans don't deserve to know anything about a player academic performance.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Wow. No, fans don't deserve to know anything about a player academic performance.

It's not a question of deserving, or being mysterious, or withholding information just because they can, or whatever else was proposed in this thread. There are federal laws that prohibit the release of that kind of information.

Oh...John Syracuse where are you!?!?! Why have you abandoned us?!?! What have we done to incur your wrath and ignore us?!?! Please come back!!! We are sorry for whatever transgressions we haev done!!! Please forgive us and save us from this insanity!!!

The fan base should know because they pay money to see a product on the court. Like any other profitable business, customers want to know why they have an inferior product.

To treat us like Syracuse basketball players are academics first and basketball second and we are lucky to watch the games is a crock of . Syracuse benches Southerland not because they truly care that he cheated or whatever but because they want to cover their butt with the NCAA to protect their economic interests and reputation in the future. THAT is why I don't respect his "academic privacy" or any other player's.

Let's cut through the crap right now. What could possibly have happened that it is taking so long?

1. He failed a class.
2. He cheated.
3. He is academically ineligible from high school or a previous transcript.
4. He received money or gifts from x person or entity.

Select your choice. Now pick one of the below scenarios:

1. They are waiting on Syracuse to make a decision
2. They are waiting on the NCAA to make a decision.
3. They are appealing a "no" decision.
4. NCAA said "yes" but future sanctions may come so it's up to Syracuse
5. NCAA said "yes" but Syracuse is holding out as a favor to the NCAA for past indiscretions

All politics. All bureaucracy.

My belief is that they could have solved this problem within 24 hours but chose to drag it out to give the appearance that basketball players are not given preferential treatment. I personally think this is all a charade. Don't forget the O'Bannon lawsuit is really gaining traction. The NCAA wants every appearance in the world that they are a legitimate organization. Similar to how abusers give the impression that all is well when social workers drop by.

I think Southerland is just a byproduct of this. Politics. It'll get solved when the executives feel like they gave the appearance that they did thorough "research" and actually care about his academics.

135329226_conspiracy_answer_1_xlarge.jpg

Agree with Bees; I'd love to know what's going on, and I especially would love a resolution, but there's no reason to tell anyone anything, other than he's not eligible right now.

I would have to think that the longer this goes without a word the worse it is. Obviously there is a hiccup or he would have been ruled eligible already or his career over at Syracuse.

I don't think anyone is arguing that fans are entitled to players private academic records, nor should they be. The point is, in my opinion, that the fans are getting frustrated with the situation-especially two years in a row. I'm not saying its intentional or with purpose, but this situation does give me, and I would assume other die hard fans without inside information, a feeling that the University does not care about how the fans feel. I've been going to games for 27 years, am an SU alum, and have spent thousands of my hard earned dollars on tickets and contributions over the years. A simple statement from the university stating that they understand the fans feelings/frustrations, the process is ongoing, and that they will provide a report once a final decision is made would make me feel better. No, that is not really an update and provides no real information, but would perhaps make the fans feel a little better and not feeling completely in the dark. Maybe I am wrong, its just my opinion. I, and many others are emotionally invested in this team, and bleed Orange. This board is a great outlet for fans to express their feelings, as long as nothing is inappropriate or offensive. GO CUSE!

A simple statement from the university stating that they understand the fans feelings/frustrations, the process is ongoing, and that they will provide a report once a final decision is made would make me feel better. /quote]

There is no way in holy hell that they would do this nor should they. They have come out and told us. He is ineligible and until they work out the problem (which is an academic problem) he isnt going to play. They also do not have a right to give a report once this ends as to what happened. If he is declared ineligible for the rest of the season does it really matter why he was?

I am emotionally invested just as much as anyone on this board but I dont feel like I need to know every single detail. This kid obviously brought it on himself so first and foremost James is to blame. We dont go to the NCAA (or they dont come knocking) regarding deans list students. I am more pissed off at James for not doing what he should be doing which is the work so you dont put yourself in a situation like this.

We just don't have any right to know the details of the academic status of any college student. Right now he isn't eligible. If that changes, we'll find out. Other than that, as frustrating as it is (and it is), that's all there is to it.

but this situation does give me, and I would assume other die hard fans without inside information, a feeling that the University does not care about how the fans feel.

Which is exactly the right way to handle this. They shouldn't care how we feel about it. It's a private deal between James and the University. (From what I've been lead to believe; it's SU holding him out, correct?)

I don't think anyone is arguing that fans are entitled to players private academic records, nor should they be. The point is, in my opinion, that the fans are getting frustrated with the situation-especially two years in a row. I'm not saying its intentional or with purpose, but this situation does give me, and I would assume other die hard fans without inside information, a feeling that the University does not care about how the fans feel. I've been going to games for 27 years, am an SU alum, and have spent thousands of my hard earned dollars on tickets and contributions over the years. A simple statement from the university stating that they understand the fans feelings/frustrations, the process is ongoing, and that they will provide a report once a final decision is made would make me feel better. No, that is not really an update and provides no real information, but would perhaps make the fans feel a little better and not feeling completely in the dark. Maybe I am wrong, its just my opinion. I, and many others are emotionally invested in this team, and bleed Orange. This board is a great outlet for fans to express their feelings, as long as nothing is inappropriate or offensive. GO CUSE!

While I didn't quote his post, I was responding to eman77sters post and things like "The fan base should know because they pay money to see a product on the court. Like any other profitable business, customers want to know why they have an inferior product."

I'm not asking for an update on his eligibility... I'm asking for a resolution, one way or the other. Maybe that's being greedy and unreasonable, but I don't understand what takes so long, and I don't see the harm in at least explaining what takes so long.

If the university and/or NCAA want to appear like they have their sh** together, they'd move faster, not slower.

I'm not asking for an update on his eligibility... I'm asking for a resolution, one way or the other. Maybe that's being greedy and unreasonable, but I don't understand what takes so long, and I don't see the harm in at least explaining what takes so long.

If the university and/or NCAA want to appear like they have their sh** together, they'd move faster, not slower.

Could be that a specfic explaination would violate privacy laws, therefore no specifics. I am sure there a lot of things/people involved and therefore takes time to get everything together and in order. You don't think JB, the team, Southy and the university would like a resolution ASAP? Also, what could be holding things up is the the NCAA is invesitgating it's own compliance section in relation to the Univ of Miami investigation...for all we know all investigations may have been put on hold due to this...

Could be that a specfic explaination would violate privacy laws, therefore no specifics. I am sure there a lot of things/people involved and therefore takes time to get everything together and in order. You don't think JB, the team, Southy and the university would like a resolution ASAP? Also, what could be holding things up is the the NCAA is invesitgating it's own compliance section in relation to the Univ of Miami investigation...for all we know all investigations may have been put on hold due to this...
I knew somehow It would come back to Miami, they are the trouble makers.

I knew somehow It would come back to Miami, they are the trouble makers.

I am not saying the Southy investigation is being affected by that, but wouldn't surprise me if it was...Just throwing a thought out there...

I am not saying the Southy investigation is being affected by that, but wouldn't surprise me if it was...Just throwing a thought out there...
I do agree, craps hitting the fan again down there.

You don't think JB, the team, Southy and the university would like a resolution ASAP?

This is very true. I try to keep reminding myself of this, but my frustration gets the best of me. I also don't think I really trust the people in charge of all this.

Also, what could be holding things up is the the NCAA is invesitgating it's own compliance section in relation to the Univ of Miami investigation...for all we know all investigations may have been put on hold due to this...

This would make me truly upset. If, because the NCAA can't even stay out of its own damn way, we lose a key player and he loses his senior season, that is unforgivable.

Isn't this still an SU issue or no?
aparently nobody can do the goddamn math on this and connect the dots.

lets see here...

1. who wants this done fast???
2. who wants this done correctly???
3. who is watching to see if its done correctly???
4. who is then watching after the correction to see if they still can F over the result???
5. who's thoughts on this process are completely Fn irrelevent???

the Orange have 18 Ws and hasnt JB already said 'you dont want to see us as a 6 seed'?

put that in your pipe and smoke it with the rest of the Orange athletes...

wait......

Oh Lord

If, as some have said, SU is waiting for the NCAA verdict on an appeal or to render some type of decision, they are going to take their sweet time. I believe that the NCAA enforcement people deep down believe that all these kids are guilty and that all programs do illicit things and therefore when they have the fate in their hands they are perfectly happy to string it out and let the parties twist as long as possible. Even if they ultimately reinstate him, they probably will wait until he has missed 10 games. It just makes them feel better that they dispensed "justice" upon the guilty even if they lack hard proof of anything. Except of course if you're UK.

I never said they should release his academic records, I just said I don't care about the privacy of his academic records. His or any other high-level D-1 basketball or football player.

Call it a "conspiracy" with your cute little lulz pictures, but I believe the NCAA stretches this stuff out for show. This isn't on the level of the JFK assassination, this is simply shady business. Southerland is a student athlete in the wrong place and wrong time. Ten years from now he would be getting paid already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom