Women's Lacrosse - SU 9 vs North Carolina 15: Fri Apr 28, 3:30 PM [ACC Semis] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 9 vs North Carolina 15: Fri Apr 28, 3:30 PM [ACC Semis]

Replay:

Last edited:
I've been saving this one for a rainy day lol.

[1:18:20]

From your lips, to Gods ears. Now get this team back on track and play/lead this team with some vigor like you want to win a national championship! Same can be said for Meaghan as well. The unseriousness this late into the season is baffling and concerning.

we have kind of limped into the postseason and have lost some mojo. It looks like the BC game we got the wind taken out of our sail. We are still an excellent team and postseason bound. We can still be in the whole thing but we need our defense to be a lot better

Look at the stats. Period 1 score: SU 0 - NC 6. Periods 2 - 4 score: SU 9 - NC 9. In period 1, NC's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals were from the free position, out of 5 tries; for the rest of the game NC was only 1 for 5 from the free position. SU had no free position shots. And what if Ward's quick immediate period 1 shot had scored; different momentum? A strange snake-bit period 1 doomed SU; the rest of the game was even.

Look at the stats. Period 1 score: SU 0 - NC 6. Periods 2 - 4 score: SU 9 - NC 9. In period 1, NC's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals were from the free position, out of 5 tries; for the rest of the game NC was only 1 for 5 from the free position. SU had no free position shots. And what if Ward's quick immediate period 1 shot had scored; different momentum? A strange snake-bit period 1 doomed SU; the rest of the game was even.
There has to be stats that shows a zone gives up more free positions than w2w

Bottom line, we are in a 2-week slump and were not ready for the moment. We started trading goals after they got up 7ish/8ish.

The disparity in free positions was weird, but so many of those calls were weird to me. I don't know enough to call foul. These refs did seem bad. But the fact these things are even penalties seems weird to me as well. Stand too close to someone for 3 seconds and they get a free shot on goal? I don't get it.

Bottom line, we are in a 2-week slump and were not ready for the moment. We started trading goals after they got up 7ish/8ish.

The disparity in free positions was weird, but so many of those calls were weird to me. I don't know enough to call foul. These refs did seem bad. But the fact these things are even penalties seems weird to me as well. Stand too close to someone for 3 seconds and they get a free shot on goal? I don't get it.

They don't want to see all the defensive players packed inside the 8 meter arc. Everyone in the arc has to be actively guarding someone. If an offensive player leaves the arc, the defender has 3 seconds to move.

Think of it as a 3 second call in basketball, only it's the defender who can't loiter in the arc for more than 3 seconds.

We were #1 in the RPI going into this game. I would feel pretty good about getting a top 4 seed if it had been a close game. Just a guess but I'd say we get the 5 seed, which might not be bad since we probably wouldn't have to play at Northwestern, BC, or UNC. But man, what a really depressing 8 days. From #1 seed to probably not even having home field advantage.

UNC is really well coached, and seems to have found the formula to beat SU. They easily could have won the game 2 weeks ago if not for Sweitzer's 15 saves, compared to only 5 by Nicholas. They have a great defense. Apparently today they only committed 12 fouls, and none within the 8 meter, lol. Flipping refs. We were 9 for 36 shooting, and only had 3 assists today. Both have to be season lows by far.

Their offense is young but talented and disciplined. They seemingly had no unforced turnovers til late in the game. I can't find what their time of possession advantage was for either game, but my guess is it was like 2-1 in both. Their offense didn't rush anything unless it was there. It seemed like they took a minute off the clock just moving the ball around, which would lead to 3 second and shooting space violations. The zone can only shift around for so long without making one of those mistakes, or letting a cutter free. It's frustrating to watch.

I wish that they'd try a mtm but they're married to the zone. Kayla has effusively claimed Caitlin Defeliese is the best D coordinator in the country in a few of her post game press conferences, and probably defers to her on that side of the ball. I don't think it should be downplayed the injuries that have occurred. It has caused a lot of position changes. For one, I think that Chevarie was the best defender. She played the right side of the crease, so when she was injured, Vandiver bumped down to there from the right elbow. Markey is a midfielder so she mostly played up top, but occasionally played the elbow. When Vandiver shifted to the crease, Markey was moved exclusively to that right defensive elbow and stopped playing midfield. Then after a couple games Jenny got injured too, so that caused a few more changes. Olsen is now playing that elbow. Queri took over Markey's second line middie position, so she is up top now. Neither are anywhere close to as quick or fast as Markey. And for whatever reason, is seems Baschiano(sp?) is splitting time with Clark(who had started most of the season) on the other elbow. I think Olsen and Baschiano are redshirt freshman, and Vandiver and Clark are true freshmen. So they have a really young defense out there right now.

Hopefully they can right the ship. They have 2 weeks to work on it. Hopefully Kayla can pump some confidence into them and come up with some great game plans to overcome their weaknesses. It'd be a shame to not at least make the final four in a season like this.

Last edited:
I realize Kayla has been very complimentary of DeFliese-Watkins in her press conferences. I, on the other hand, was not impressed by her defenses while Gary was coaching and I have remained largely unimpressed. Maybe SU does hot have the athletes to play woman-to-woman over an extended period (not sure about that) but I think you at least have to mix it up and give the opposing offense different looks and create some confusion about how to attack. A goalie who is having a great year does not make you a great defensive coach.

Often we were getting beat by speed and quickness. Those young UNC athletes are fast and quick and coached to be very aggressive.
Our young defenders will mature and perhaps we need some transfers to bolster them during the off season.
Still pulling for this team to work things out before the NCAA tournamen!

It's a full 60 minute game. Regardless of the sport, a bad start can doom you as a lead can become insurmountable. If you can't get up for these games, it doesn't bode well for the NCAAT. Let's hope that I'm wrong.

Hoping they can shake off the rust and play with fire. No more space for letdowns, and will have to play whoever is in from it them.

I absolutely love this team definitely agree they are in a slump at the wrong time of year but there is time to fix it. I think the defensive problems have been masked by Delaney Switzer all year she played absolutely amazing until the second half of the BC game when she started to look human. This continued until the second half of yesterdays game when Delaney started to consistently stop the ball. Like all zones it can be exploited by outside shooting and exceptional interior ball movement which leads to the defensive collapsing to cover the interior and depending on the referee’s discretion can lead to more 8 meter chances .
So basically this teams success will hinge on how Delaney plays it’s definitely not fair but it is what it is. Meaghan Tyrrell is Syracuse’s best offensive player but if ah has a bad game their are many options without Delaney playing at her best Syracuse will have a much more difficult road

I knew it! JB, bored with retirement, has started coaching the women's lacrosse team and has got them in a zone instead of women to women!

1682795632591.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom