SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

Move on to what?

Playing more games with Georgia Tech, Florida State and Wake Forest?

Those games are meaningless to me -- as they should be to everyone.

The SU-Duke and SU-Carolina games will never live up to some of the great rivalries from the Big East days. Some will try to pretend they're as good, but they're kidding themselves.

I just can't too overly excited about a conference where a majority of the schools are located south of DC -- four in North Carolina -- and one that rotates its conference tourney location every other year. It's pathetic and weak.

And I think you fail to realize that a great majority of SU fans live in the NY metro, Philly and DC area. By playing these games -- against some of SU's regional rivals -- it's a great opportunity for these fans to see SU play.

These teams you are talking about aren't "rivals". They are EX-Rivals and the Old Big East is dead.

And "Regional Rivals" is a term you made up to bolster your argument. Are we declared the Champion of a Region if we win the game? When I look in the paper I don't see Regional Standings. I see Conference Standings.

If you think playing games against our conference rivals is "meaningless", than I don't think you can be helped. These games actually count towards winning the ACC Championship which ought to be our #1 goal every year.

If you can't "get excited' about playing in the ACC and long for the Old Big East, you can't be helped. Those days are GONE.

If you want SU to play in front of crowds in NYC, Phila and DC, fine. But there are plenty of teams to choose from as opposed to trying to prop up truly meaningless games against UConn and Georgetown. In DC we could play Maryland or George Washington. In Philly we could play Temple or St Joes or LaSalle.

My vote would be not to schedule them at all. Let them sink into Mid-Majordom.

These teams you are talking about aren't "rivals". They are EX-Rivals and the Old Big East is dead.

And "Regional Rivals" is a term you made up to bolster your argument. Are we declared the Champion of a Region if we win the game? When I look in the paper I don't see Regional Standings. I see Conference Standings.

If you think playing games against our conference rivals is "meaningless", than I don't think you can be helped. These games actually count towards winning the ACC Championship which ought to be our #1 goal every year.

If you can't "get excited' about playing in the ACC and long for the Old Big East, you can't be helped. Those days are GONE.

If you want SU to play in front of crowds in NYC, Phila and DC, fine. But there are plenty of teams to choose from as opposed to trying to prop up truly meaningless games against UConn and Georgetown. In DC we could play Maryland or George Washington. In Philly we could play Temple or St Joes or LaSalle.

My vote would be not to schedule them at all. Let them sink into Mid-Majordom.

They can do that even if we do schedule them, you are giving your fanbase a great old big east night at Msg, and your helping your rpi, I really don't see the downside.

I really don't get this nostalgia urge some have. Those that have this particular disease seem to think that somehow playing UConn keeps the rivalry alive.

Gentlemen and ladies, the rivalry is DEAD. It's a ex-rivalry.

This used to be a "great rivalry". It was great because the games meant something in the Big East races. Now its games played to cash in on nostalgia.

Of course, its better to play UConn than more Colgates. But there are a large number of schools we could play that are equally or more beneficial for our SOS in any year.

UConn and Georgetown have an extra incentive to want to play SU given their conference situations. They need the visibility more and they need to remind people of the good old days of the Big East.

I'd like to see us move on. Not try and relive the past.

But I don't blame SU or the other schools for trying to cash in on fans longing for the good old days.

If you were at Atantis last year you wouldn't of thought the rivalry was dead. It's not. It was just dormant. I can't wait for this game and I can't wait for the Hoyas in the Dome. My bet is 30,000 of my best friends will be joining me there...

Townie72 said:
These teams you are talking about aren't "rivals". They are EX-Rivals and the Old Big East is dead. And "Regional Rivals" is a term you made up to bolster your argument. Are we declared the Champion of a Region if we win the game? When I look in the paper I don't see Regional Standings. I see Conference Standings. If you think playing games against our conference rivals is "meaningless", than I don't think you can be helped. These games actually count towards winning the ACC Championship which ought to be our #1 goal every year. If you can't "get excited' about playing in the ACC and long for the Old Big East, you can't be helped. Those days are GONE. If you want SU to play in front of crowds in NYC, Phila and DC, fine. But there are plenty of teams to choose from as opposed to trying to prop up truly meaningless games against UConn and Georgetown. In DC we could play Maryland or George Washington. In Philly we could play Temple or St Joes or LaSalle. My vote would be not to schedule them at all. Let them sink into Mid-Majordom.

George Washington?

Temple?

St. Joseph?

LaSalle?

You can't be helped.

If you were at Atantis last year you wouldn't of thought the rivalry was dead. It's not. It was just dormant. I can't wait for this game and I can't wait for the Hoyas in the Dome. My bet is 30,000 of my best friends will be joining me there...

Yup, with most of them chasing the glories of yesterday.

It will take some people longer than others to clear the cobwebs out of their brains. Attendees ought to take a copy of the newspaper with them so they can remind themselves its 2015 or 2016 and not 1986.

The University is taking these big checks to the bank. I guess that's good.

But to me these are half real games and half exhibition, made-for-TV or for large gates games.

George Washington?

Temple?

St. Joseph?

LaSalle?

You can't be helped.

You wanted local games in these cities? Here they are.

You wrote, "I just can't too overly excited about a conference where a majority of the schools are located south of DC -- four in North Carolina -- and one that rotates its conference tourney location every other year. It's pathetic and weak."

Stop living in the past.

Oh, and you can answer this question for us, why doesn't anyone want you? Face it flounder, if the AAC didn't have to take you, they wouldn't have.
Ouch, good burn! It never occurred to me that someone might bring up the conference thing in this thread but you did it! Excellent job all around. You guys should have a good team next year and good teams benefit from playing other good teams, even if they are unwanted mid-majors.
I'll make an attempt at answering your question even though the whole CR thing is very hard to understand for me and probably most people who aren't directly involved. I believe if UConn had a stronger football program it might have ended up in a better conference situation but I can't be sure that was the issue. There is a narrative that BC blocked UConn's inclusion in the ACC but I don't know if that is true or not because I wasn't in those negotiations obviously. Rutgers athletics is a hot mess and they somehow ended up in the Big 10 I can only guess by the strength of their football at the time. Or someone erroneously thought they would bring the Big 10 the Northeast market from a television perspective. I think football drives the bus and basketball really has nothing to do with it. But again, I am only guessing and I am not sure.

Townie72 said:
Yup, with most of them chasing the glories of yesterday. It will take some people longer than others to clear the cobwebs out of their brains. Attendees ought to take a copy of the newspaper with them so they can remind themselves its 2015 or 2016 and not 1986. The University is taking these big checks to the bank. I guess that's good. But to me these are half real games and half exhibition, made-for-TV or for large gates games.

So nothing from 1986 on matters to you? I'm sorry, but I was born in 1986, so maybe I missed the "golden years or SU-UCONN"... But since I've been alive, and old enough to follow sports, it's been a blast. And I was at Atlantis. And I saw what happened. The rivalry is still alive. And when I'm sitting in the garden with FairfaxOrange and his peeps, I'll have the time of my life. Totally fine if you want to stay home, watch Kings of queens, and go to sleep. I'll have a beer for ya

So nothing from 1986 on matters to you? I'm sorry, but I was born in 1986, so maybe I missed the "golden years or SU-UCONN"... But since I've been alive, and old enough to follow sports, it's been a blast. And I was at Atlantis. And I saw what happened. The rivalry is still alive. And when I'm sitting in the garden with FairfaxOrange and his peeps, I'll have the time of my life. Totally fine if you want to stay home, watch Kings of queens, and go to sleep. I'll have a beer for ya

I have moved on.

I'm much, much more interested in watching an SU vs. ACC game that actually matters as opposed to a SU vs. UConn game that used to matter.

I've got better things to do than wax nostalgically "Gee, wasn't it great when we played UConn in the BET in the old days?"

I'm not very sentimental when it comes to SU sports. I'm worried about us beating UVA, not UConn or Georgetown, two schools I have stopped paying any attention to at all.

Count on it Adam! Thanks!

Don't forget your past, otherwise you don't know how you got here!

Why would anyone care about how we got here? The point is we are here. This is now, that was then.

Our new conference mates and rivals don't know much or care at all how SU used to play big games against St. John's.

And you have got the saying wrong. It's "Those who don't understand history are forced to relive it."

If only you had a board that you could go to that had fellow UConn fans...
since half of my family are SU undergrad and law school grads, and the other half are UConn grads, I feel a real bond on this site..

Why would anyone care about how we got here? The point is we are here. This is now, that was then.

Our new conference mates and rivals don't know much or care at all how SU used to play big games against St. John's.

And you have got the saying wrong. It's "Those who don't understand history are forced to relive it."

There are more quotes than the one you note. I'm a Syracuse fan and a Syracuse Alum and can tell you that you may be the only one who doesn't care a great deal about where we came from and how we got here.

I'm really sorry you feel the way you do. I think understanding and appreciating your history is vital to moving forward and understanding why we do what we do. Frankly dude, you really do come across as a miserable bastard. I hope I never become as jaded as you.

since half of my family are SU undergrad and law school grads, and the other half are UConn grads, I feel a real bond on this site..
a bond so strong that you have uconn in your name

I really don't get this nostalgia urge some have. Those that have this particular disease seem to think that somehow playing UConn keeps the rivalry alive.

Gentlemen and ladies, the rivalry is DEAD. It's a ex-rivalry.

This used to be a "great rivalry". It was great because the games meant something in the Big East races. Now its games played to cash in on nostalgia.

Of course, its better to play UConn than more Colgates. But there are a large number of schools we could play that are equally or more beneficial for our SOS in any year.

UConn and Georgetown have an extra incentive to want to play SU given their conference situations. They need the visibility more and they need to remind people of the good old days of the Big East.

I'd like to see us move on. Not try and relive the past.

But I don't blame SU or the other schools for trying to cash in on fans longing for the good old days.

Exactly.

Is there some unwritten rule that we have to choose between those two things? Why can't we embrace our new role in the ACC and get super fired up about our new rivals while also playing a couple old Big East foes each year for entertainment and nostalgia-value? Win-win.

This is entertainment. It's supposed to fun. Playing UConn and Georgetown and Nova is fun.

Is there some unwritten rule that we have to choose between those two things? Why can't we embrace our new role in the ACC and get super fired up about our new rivals while also playing a couple old Big East foes each year for entertainment and nostalgia-value? Win-win.

This is entertainment. It's supposed to fun. Playing UConn and Georgetown and Nova is fun.

Plus, we are talking a game in the Garden here.. that alone gets me super pumped. Packed with cuse fans. The blarney, NYC.. it's gonna be an epic weekend. I'd prolly make the trip even if we were playing Cal instead.. But UCONN in the garden, that makes it even better for me.

And I totally understand that people disagree, that's cool, and I agree with you on some points. I just hope that even though you hate this game, you tune in.. Should be fun.

There are more quotes than the one you note. I'm a Syracuse fan and a Syracuse Alum and can tell you that you may be the only one who doesn't care a great deal about where we came from and how we got here.

I'm really sorry you feel the way you do. I think understanding and appreciating your history is vital to moving forward and understanding why we do what we do. Frankly dude, you really do come across as a miserable bastard. I hope I never become as jaded as you.

Sorry to rain on your nostalgia-loaded parade.

I, myself, have written those schools of my "Schools I Actually Care about SU Playing and Beating List". It's just another OOC game and I hope we are scheduling it for reasons other than big ticket sales (Although I suspect that's the real reason)

I am also an alum (2x) and a fan since the early 70's and I don't think that anyone who disagrees with me is "miserable". Focusing in on the reality of where we are today and being more interested in the Conference we are actually in seems more like optomism to me.

Interest in playing UConn and GU will fade and fade in a few years as more and more people say, "Remind me again. Why are we playing these guys?"

How much fun was when we were sitting on the Tourney bubble with both these nostalgia games on our resume as Bad Loses?

It's time for the fan base to dedicate themselves to the ACC. Those with one foot still in the Big East are slowing the process.

How much fun was when we were sitting on the Tourney bubble with both these nostalgia games on our resume as Bad Loses?

That's not really a rational thought.

It's time for the fan base to dedicate themselves to the ACC. Those with one foot still in the Big East are slowing the process.
Hi,
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer regarding your uplifting and inspirational dedication to the ACC fandom process. However, to be a little accurate I think your victory over RPI 32 UConn probably went a long way to helping get Syracuse into the Tournament last year so you could go on that great run. In fact in the ACC Virginia Tech 89, Clemson 131, FL ST 82, G Tech 69, NC ST 123, Wake 159 and BC 250 all had worse RPI. Georgetown at 106 wouldn't have been a big RPI helper but not terrible either way. I don't believe losing a game to RPI 106 is considered a bad loss. I know that there are other metrics used now in conjunction (Kenpom, Sagarin, BPI etc.) but just used this one because it was the easiest to research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom