SU is big time SU is relevant | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU is big time SU is relevant

billsin01 said:
This. Anyone who has delusions of true relevance in football are crazy. Could it somehow in some crazy way happen for a season? I suppose it's not impossible but that is such a remote possibility that harboring hope for that type of season likely means you'll be disappointed every september barring some sort of drastic sea change in the way football is working.

You need talent and coaching. That's it in a nutshell. We have a good defense. Juries out on Shafer and Lester. They are good talent evaluators - and we are starting to build momentum.

This season? Sure 7-5 would be awesome. But with a top 25-30 recruiting class? Momentum building? Why not us?

87-98 was special because SU had unique selling points. The Dome and a refuge for black quarterbacks. We've lost both selling points. At best, we can make the dome remodel/new arena something that is unique and stands out from the other 2nd tier programs. SU's ceiling is 2nd tier, but that means having an outside chance at making the playoffs if everything comes together once every 10 years or whatever... especially when it expands to 8 teams. SU was top 8 in 87 and 92. We can get back there... but not without a huge commitment to Dome 2.0.
What does any of this (highlighted)mean?
Totally agree about the Dome being a difference maker when it was first built, it played a major role in our re-emergence from the Frank Maloney Era.
However, SU wasn't the first school and Donnie McPherson the first black QB to play under center in Div 1. Indeed, one of my fav players as a kid was a guy named Condredge Holloway who played for UTennessee...in the SOUTH EAST CONFERENCE, for pete's sake.
In every description of our mid-80's to early '00's glory years, I've never heard of SU as being some kinda trend-setter for playing Black QB's, nor as having that one factor illustrated as a "unique selling point". :rolleyes::noidea::crazy:

You need talent and coaching. That's it in a nutshell. We have a good defense. Juries out on Shafer and Lester. They are good talent evaluators - and we are starting to build momentum.

This season? Sure 7-5 would be awesome. But with a top 25-30 recruiting class? Momentum building? Why not us?

image.jpg

Im not saying that we are going to be a national power every year that is not in the cards. My point is that Syracuse should be a team that with the exception of a game or so a year has the ability to win/upset every team that it plays. In addition we should always make a bowl and always be ranked in the top 40. Every few years we are going to have a very good team and if the cards fall in our favor who knows what can happen. This by the way is the pattern that Syracuse has had since the 50's

I've never heard of SU as being some kinda trend-setter for playing Black QB's :rolleyes::noidea::crazy:
In the 80s and mid 90s... very few power schools had a long history with starting mobile black QBs. SU established a reputation with Donnie Mac.. then followed up with Graves... then Mason... and finally McNabb. McNabb (and Vick) were the turning point for getting meatheads around the country to change their recruiting tactics. Once other schools opened their arms we were no longer unique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom