SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Is this a done deal? Thamel getting this leaked from Wildhack would suggest something is going down and wonder if they want them pre bowl?

Great hires if this happens. I still think Dino is on the hottest of hot seats. I wonder how John got a buy in from these guys in that scenario

Reading all this negativity, I can’t stand reading this board sometimes. Oh wait…..
Funny how that works when we actually do something positive. Most, not all, will give credit where it’s due.

I have been on the replace Dino train for the last 1.5 seasons but if he pulls off a hire of this magnitude he deserves credit. I am also mildly happy with what he did on sighing day and some of the guys he has kept in the program so far. Now if we could just do something about the one or two bad in game decisions he seems to make every week we may be on to something.

Is this a done deal? Thamel getting this leaked from Wildhack would suggest something is going down and wonder if they want them pre bowl?

Great hires if this happens. I still think Dino is on the hottest of hot seats. I wonder how John got a buy in from these guys in that scenario
After the debacle with the DC who ended up at Mississippi State, my guess is that SU is going to be very cautious about announcing any agreement until everything has been fully vetted. I would guess Thamel getting this info probably came from Anae's agent.

Maybe he is trying to get a little more money from SU and think having the possible hire in the press will help that cause? Pressure from the fanbase to get it done?

This would be unreal and show that JW is all in with not only the program but with Dino.
These two along with White and his Defensive staff allow Dino to truly become a CEO type of leader which is his strength. ( Mac like)
Fabulous news.
Yup. I think it says a lot that Dino is looking outside his coaching tree/system to get things fixed.

I don’t know anything about these guys, only what I’ve read here. But it seems to me a close familiarity with ACC defenses would be a huge asset. Makes it easier to hit the ground running.

Funny how that works when we actually do something positive. Most, not all, will give credit where it’s due.

I have been on the replace Dino train for the last 1.5 seasons but if he pulls off a hire of this magnitude he deserves credit. I am also mildly happy with what he did on sighing day and some of the guys he has kept in the program so far. Now if we could just do something about the one or two bad in game decisions he seems to make every week we may be on to something.

I’m in the same boat. Nicely put.

Agree

Anae and UVA quarterbacks coach Jason Beck have worked together for the past eight seasons and quarterbacks have thrived under the pairing. Between 2013 and 2020, quarterbacks under Anae and Beck have averaged 3,200 passing yards and 524 rushing yards a season for an average of 3,725 yards of total offense.

Anae’s offense broke five team records in 2019, which includes most first downs (296), first downs passing (180), completions (337), passing yards (3,748) and points scored (449). UVA also tied the 1990 team for most touchdowns (56), while Anae’s offense in 2019 averaged 33.2 points per game, which is No. 2 all-time to UVA’s 1990 team. UVA amassed over 5,000 yards of total offense in both 2018 and 2019 under Anae, which marks only the second time in program history UVA has done that in back-to-back seasons. Prior to Anae’s arrival UVA only surpassed 5,000 yards of total offense four times.

Get Armstrong to grad transfer to Syracuse.

If he likes these coaches and doesn’t go pro.
Omg don’t get me excited like that, there offense coupled with whites defense would be a good time.

Last edited:
Eh, he’s been mixing in guys he’s not worked with and is certainly not afraid to make a move.

Goes against narratives I guess, but I continue to see the effects of a tight relationship between HC and AD.
Agreed. Suffice to say JW made his thoughts clear about what he wanted and has obviously provided the resources to support it.
Great news .

OK...IF CUSE takes on Anae and Beck we MAY? have a problem.
Teams are allowed 9 assistant coaches.
We have White at DC 1..Achuff at LB coach 2,, Monroe swag coach 3.. Schmidt as Oline coach 4..
Legashefsky ST coach 5... Lynch as RB coach 6...West as DB coach 7... These 2 guys would fill out the staff and we have no WR or Dline coach.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer...but how practical is it to take on both coaches?

Fans will never completely be happy with play calling. Some have different preferences. I already looked up the running stats. They have been more balance in previous years. They adjust based on what they do well. This year 554 passing attempts, 339 rushing. They passed the ball better this year. They did run for almost 1,500 yards as a team last season. 2020 it was more balanced. 379 passes, 366 rushes. 2019, 520 passes, 442 rushes. 2018, first year of Perkins, 499 rushes, 358 passes

Lots of people just hate math…

Would think this is more “done” than not. Anae just announced he’s left UVA….and it appears Beck and he are a package deal whereever they go. Aren’t these guys also responsible for Taysom Hill?

Would think Elliot wants his own OC at Virginia anyway.

They also won’t come cheap.

We have White at DC 1..Achuff at LB coach 2,, Monroe swag coach 3.. Schmidt as Oline coach 4..
Legashefsky ST coach 5... Lynch as RB coach 6...West as DB coach 7... These 2 guys would fill out the staff and we have no WR or Dline coach.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer...but how practical is it to take on both coaches?

You're allowed 10 assistants

White - DL? Achuff can help on DL as well
Lanear Sampson - WR? Dino help?
Coach Ligs - ST / DL?

DL can be a team effort

So glad to hear we have some names finally linked to the OC role. As others are suggestin, this seems like a strong get if /when it is official. Getting both OC and QB coach who have been working together this long should be a great benefit. I do think this is good for GS as well given some UVA stats someone called out passing/running and I believe GS has enough ability to have his game developed up further on the passing side of the ledger. Bring in that center who is leaving UVA and add him to our line and things look significantly stabliz there. Pretty excited about this. Now lets see how we recruit the portal and final signing period. Go Cuse!

Anae has left the UVA program. Beck will be the OC for the bowl game.

Would think this is more “done” than not. Anae just announced he’s left UVA….and it appears Beck and he are a package deal whereever they go. Aren’t these guys also responsible for Taysom Hill?

Would think Elliot wants his own OC at Virginia anyway.

They also won’t come cheap.

Elliot probably wants his own system at UVA and I think that is extremely questionable. Elliot is the type of HC hire I would be really worried about. His O stunk last year at Clemson and not sure he has a track record of coaching people up.