SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Staff might be set now if this proves to be true.
OC/WR: Aane
QB: Beck
RB: Lynch
OL: Schmidt
ST/TE: Ligashesky
DL: Achuff goes there
DC/LB: White
DB: Monroe
DB: West

Room for 1 more asst.

We can either hire a dedicated WR coach and have White coach DLs, or a dedicated DL coach and have Anae coach WRs.

Offensive CoordinatorAnae?
QuarterbacksBeck?
Running BacksMike Lynch
Wide ReceiversEither WR or DL ?
Offensive LineMike Schmidt
Defensive CoordinatorTony White
Defensive LineEither WR or DL?
LinebackersChris Achuff
Safeties/NickelbacksNick Monroe
CornerbacksChip West
Special Teams / Tight EndsBob Ligashesky

That's 11 including Babers. If we hire Anae/Beck would appear we're done. WR/DL would be absorbed by existing staff.

I would think Legashefsky is doing more than special teams. A coach can't spend a small percentage of practice on specials and then stand twiddling his thumbs the rest of the day.
This is a somehat aside, but I recall duing a Va Tech game, the announcers were discussing the traditionally strong ST team play of the Hokies. The analyst in the booth pointed out that one way Frank Beamer emphasized ST was by coaching these units at the beginning of each practice, rather than the end, when most teams usually do it (when the players are fatigued both physically and mentally).

What’s dual about Shrader?
True, Schrader isn’t a pocket passer, which is a problem for some. Nor should we desire one here at SU. We just had one of those and his name was Tommy.

So yes, Schrader’s completion percentage will be in the mid 50s, but he might run for 60-90 yards too. The guy has some juice on the ball when he is healthy, which he was not after the VT game.

I'll hold off until i see tangible results in 22. That's banana in the tailpipe thinking.

I don't want "he now has 2 years to fix a problem he hasn't fixed in 6". He has, to me, this year to fix and get us back into a bowl again. Anything less the entire thing needs to be blown up. If our offense is terrible, not sure why we want these UVA guys long term.

My skepticism with the program is at a 10. Dino hasn't been able to manage games. That has to change. Not sure a new OC will help that if he's still the guy managing games
This isn’t the place for it, but the idea that he’s not “fixed” a problem is the problem.

1. We’ve had success under Dino. The first three years were a steady improvement, culminating in a 10 win season.

2. “Fixing” assumes that our default spot in CFB is higher. I prefer “building”… and by that count you can say first 3 years B+ second 3 years C-. The 90’s ain’t coming back unless you build it. Maybe he can’t? Wildhack thinks he’s still got a chance.

3. The DC and OL hires are building towards something. A great RB and a a QB that has something to be built on. 3 games lost on the final play, one goes the other direction and the narrative is very different (it’s dumb that this is true). And now some light on the OC side of things? Building.

4. Finally. These UVA guys aren’t even hired yet and you’re all “if our offense is terrible not sure we want them long term” lol

True, Schrader isn’t a pocket passer, which is a problem for some. Nor should we desire one here at SU. We just had one of those and his name was Tommy.

So yes, Schrader’s completion percentage will be in the mid 50s, but he might run for 60-90 yards too. The guy has some juice on the ball when he is healthy, which he was not after the VT game.
Another dumb narrative is that Tommy wasn’t good here because he was a pocket passer and we can’t succeed with one.

A good OC can win with either as demonstrated all over CFB.

Virginia has great receivers to work with. I hope they bring a couple along with them. We also play Virginia next year. This wouldn’t hurt having them at SU.
So good points and I think we have instant offense credibility if this OC hire goes down. I would hope that correlates to perhaps pulling an established WR or two from the portal to augment our young talent.

This would be unreal and show that JW is all in with not only the program but with Dino.
These two along with White and his Defensive staff allow Dino to truly become a CEO type of leader which is his strength. ( Mac like)
Fabulous news.
Yes but would he still be in charge of 2 pt conversions?

If this is done, does Beck still call plays in the bowl game? Is that an audition for Elliott?
Outgoing staff holding down interim spots through the bowl game is the norm.

Given that's there no overlap between Tony Elliott and the Bronco Mendenhall tree, I wouldn't expect any continuity hires - especially since they aren't really that common.

Hate to be Debbie Downer but shouldn’t the title of this thread be changed to being targeted or something like that?
Probably but probably not trying to jinx it. It’s not like targeting calls have gone our way so far.

Outgoing staff holding down interim spots through the bowl game is the norm.

Given that's there no overlap between Tony Elliott and the Bronco Mendenhall tree, I wouldn't expect any continuity hires - especially since they aren't really that common.

I hope that's right. Thankful it's a cold weather site too. Even if the audition isn't for Elliott, I'd hate for someone to think why aren't we offering this guy an OC spot? Not sure how many are still even open.

What would the Syracuse board be without some 11th hour worrying.

If this comes to pass, it would be a significantly stronger hire than I was anticipating. I do think they’ve been in conversations, or negotiations, for a couple of weeks. So I think the timing of the announcement or leak if you will may be indicative that we’re close.

This is well above the scope of anything we’ve really ever done in these situation’s.

All you could really ask for in my opinion.

Last edited:
If this goes down, certainly credit to JW and Dino. JW showing he is willing to open the purse strings for a likely expensive OC hire given circumstances and being a driver of needed change. Dino gets respect for learning and changing. He is not unnecessarily hanging on to his original offense and is willing to adjust. Let's be critical when they do the bad things and kudos when they get things right. Close the deal on the OC and let's get going!

I'll hold off until i see tangible results in 22. That's banana in the tailpipe thinking.

I don't want "he now has 2 years to fix a problem he hasn't fixed in 6". He has, to me, this year to fix and get us back into a bowl again. Anything less the entire thing needs to be blown up. If our offense is terrible, not sure why we want these UVA guys long term.

My skepticism with the program is at a 10. Dino hasn't been able to manage games. That has to change. Not sure a new OC will help that if he's still the guy managing games
Bigger minds and pockets than yours or mine must have considerable faith in Dino to make room for hires like this. Im fine giving him 2 more barring an utter disaster in 2022

OK...IF CUSE takes on Anae and Beck we MAY? have a problem.
Teams are allowed 9 assistant coaches.
We have White at DC 1..Achuff at LB coach 2,, Monroe swag coach 3.. Schmidt as Oline coach 4..
Legashefsky ST coach 5... Lynch as RB coach 6...West as DB coach 7... These 2 guys would fill out the staff and we have no WR or Dline coach.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer...but how practical is it to take on both coaches?
Teams are allowed 10 assistants