Summer 2015 Transfer Market | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Summer 2015 Transfer Market

That's an awfully deep team, but you need a couple people to step out from the squad and become stars, guys who can will the team to victory. Sturridge can be that guy, but he has to stay healthy, and has to return to top form.

Among the others, Firmino is your best hope. Coutinho is a quality player, but I don't see him scoring as many goals as somebody like Juan Mata did when he was at Chelsea in a similar role.
I think Sturridge is still in NYC rehabbing... I'm late to this board and thread but it's great to find fellow futbol fans.

The squad seems deep but I still have two big concerns:
- The center backs are not the most solid. Skertl and Sakho are okay but they are certainly not lockdown in the sense that Terry and whoever else Chelsea lines up back there are. I like the Clyne signing but Moreno has a lot to prove and there is zero proven depth behind the starting four... Lovren scares the out of me, Flanagan is nowhere near ready to return and Enrique is completely useless. I'm shocked that Liverpool hasn't bothered to solidify the back 4 with more PROVEN talent. They are an injury or suspension from having to play Can back there or trying some weird formation.
- Rogers is too smart for his own good. I don't have the faith that he can put together a formation that will take advantage of the strengths of Benteke just like he couldn't Baolotelli last year. With the start they have I think he's gone by Valentine's Day.

I think Sturridge is still in NYC rehabbing... I'm late to this board and thread but it's great to find fellow futbol fans.

The squad seems deep but I still have two big concerns:
- The center backs are not the most solid. Skertl and Sakho are okay but they are certainly not lockdown in the sense that Terry and whoever else Chelsea lines up back there are. I like the Clyne signing but Moreno has a lot to prove and there is zero proven depth behind the starting four... Lovren scares the out of me, Flanagan is nowhere near ready to return and Enrique is completely useless. I'm shocked that Liverpool hasn't bothered to solidify the back 4 with more PROVEN talent. They are an injury or suspension from having to play Can back there or trying some weird formation.
- Rogers is too smart for his own good. I don't have the faith that he can put together a formation that will take advantage of the strengths of Benteke just like he couldn't Baolotelli last year. With the start they have I think he's gone by Valentine's Day.

We'll know by December If Rodgers will be our coach or not. The brutal opening away fixtures will assure that.

As to Skrtel, he'll be better playing next to Clyne. Glen Johnson left him trying to cover two men far too often last year. The Sahko/Lovren combo can work next to him and we've got Illori back as well. On the left young Joe Gomez has been brilliant in the preseason to the point he may push Moreno for the starting spot. We've got Wisdom to deputize the RB behind Clyne or even slide over to his more natural CB spot if needed and Toure will find a game or two along the way as well.

I'm more curious what formations we'll run and how the midfield will be shaped to sheild the back line. Either 4-1-2-1-2 with Can ahead or 4-2-3-1 with Hendo and Milner deeper to get 3 of our 5 amf's on the pitch.

Near as I can guess our starters that can be penciled in are Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Henderson, Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, and Benteke. The other CB will be Sahko/Lovren, LB Moreno/Gomez, and beyond that gives us one more attacking spot to fit one of Ings, Origi, Lallana, Ibe, and Markovic until if/when Sturridge comes back. Rotation will be a plus keeping guys fresh and healthy but will be interesting to see how we find everyone eniugh games. Would also love to see Texiera in the squad to deputize Hendo and Milner.

Certainly much more fun trying to piece together this year vs last and will be much easier to play guys in their natural position without having to shoehorn Gerrard into a squad/style he no longer fit.

Xherdan Shaqiri to Stoke rumours? Lol what's he thinking, I think he's better than that. Hey great business for the potters, he should be there highest sale. Mark Hughes has Stoke at a high level though, but zero chance to compete for Europe.

Xherdan Shaqiri to Stoke rumours? Lol what's he thinking, I think he's better than that. Hey great business for the potters, he should be there highest sale. Mark Hughes has Stoke at a high level though, but zero chance to compete for Europe.

Perhaps Europa. Shaqiri was In the stands at Brittania yesterday. The camera cut to him during our match.

Mid/lower EPL teams have so much more money than teams from La Liga/Bundsliga/Serie A because of their TV contracts. Thus those teams can spend money. Now it has been hard for EPL teams to get players from Bayern Munich/Barcelona/Real Madrid they have more to spend on players.

Shaqiri has been linked with Everton and Stoke. Stoke is probably a team that will finish anywhere from 7th to 12th this year. I thought West Ham and Liverpool had the best wins of the weekend. Chelsea draw was because of a stupid challenge by Courtois which took them down to 10 men.

The EPL is deep the gap between 1 and 20 isn't like the La Liga/Bundesliga depth. Thus while English teams have struggled in UCL/Europa League last year their financial advantage isn't going to go away.

I'm a casual Stoke fan. I'm trying not to get too invested in the team because my girlfriend and I may be moving from the US to just outside of London, and I would probably want to pick one of the local teams to get invested in, but the Stoke fan in me is pretty thrilled with this. Hughes has done a really nice job slowly building this team up. Bojan was a great addition last year until he got hurt and this move is somewhat reminiscent of that one.

Sounds like it's pretty much official. Shaqiri has taken and passed his medical to join the team.

Rondon to West Brom as well. He's an interesting player and I wonder still if Berahino moves before the deadline. he wants out and has the same scum bag agent as Raheem Sterling.

Perhaps Europa. Shaqiri was In the stands at Brittania yesterday. The camera cut to him during our match.
They won't get into europa, not close IMO. But I've been wrong before.

Bayern to Inter to Stoke. That seems like your going to wrong way Xherdan lol!

Mid/lower EPL teams have so much more money than teams from La Liga/Bundsliga/Serie A because of their TV contracts. Thus those teams can spend money. Now it has been hard for EPL teams to get players from Bayern Munich/Barcelona/Real Madrid they have more to spend on players.

Shaqiri has been linked with Everton and Stoke. Stoke is probably a team that will finish anywhere from 7th to 12th this year. I thought West Ham and Liverpool had the best wins of the weekend. Chelsea draw was because of a stupid challenge by Courtois which took them down to 10 men.

The EPL is deep the gap between 1 and 20 isn't like the La Liga/Bundesliga depth. Thus while English teams have struggled in UCL/Europa League last year their financial advantage isn't going to go away.

EPL > La Liga > Bundes/ Serie A

They won't get into europa, not close IMO. But I've been wrong before.

Bayern to Inter to Stoke. That seems like your going to wrong way Xherdan lol!

West Ham are in Europa this year so it's not an impossible ask. Also, Southampton will have to fall back at some point continuously losing players and Stoke was only 6 points off them the past season. Suffice to say, Stoke aren't that far off and they've got some decent players who are well familiar with one another and a home venue that no one wants to visit.

West Ham are in Europa this year so it's not an impossible ask. Also, Southampton will have to fall back at some point continuously losing players and Stoke was only 6 points off them the past season. Suffice to say, Stoke aren't that far off and they've got some decent players who are well familiar with one another and a home venue that no one wants to visit.
Ya N Zonzi they lost as well, he looked good in the very few games I watched last season that featured stoke, we will just have to wait and see.

Rondon to West Brom as well. He's an interesting player and I wonder still if Berahino moves before the deadline. he wants out and has the same scum bag agent as Raheem Sterling.

I think he fired him.

Ya N Zonzi they lost as well, he looked good in the very few games I watched last season that featured stoke, we will just have to wait and see.

N'Zonzi was their player of the year last year; did a great job. I was sad to see him go.

Doesn't help that Shawcross, Bojan, and Arnautovic were all out for the Liverpool match. I think Shawcross is supposed to be out for a long time, but Bojan and Arnie should be back either next week or shortly thereafter. I was impressed by Afellay and Glen Johnson in their debuts yesterday though. Stoke had a few really nice chances but just couldn't quite break through.

EPL > La Liga > Bundes/ Serie A
Yeah that money is why mid EPL teams can spend more than pretty much any non super team in La Liga/Bundes. Hell Serie A has taken a huge hit beyond Juve. AC Milan/Inter/Napoli/Lazio/Roma aren't capable of spending what a Southhampton or Everton can and even Stoke/Swansea can spend.

To be fair West Ham only made the Europa playoffs because England won the Fair Play award and they gave that spot from UEFA to the EPL Fair play winners which were West Ham. West Ham sadly got eliminated in the Europa playoffs. Southhampton seem the most likely top 6 team to take a small step back to mid table and Everton/Stoke/Newcastle should compete with them for.

I, not so sad to say, don't think Everton are all that good. They weren't last year, they didn't add any players of note, and came out week 1 and struggled with Watford.

Southampton have a great youth setup and talent scouts but at some point hemorrhaging players has to catch up with them. Same type of thing that happens to Sevilla, Valencia, and the other also rans in la liga every few years.

I see Stoke, Palace, and West Ham all in the same mold. Big, physical, well coached, and mentally tough teams. The high end talent quotent may not be there but they all have groups of above average proper professional players who are familiar with each other. The sum of the whole could be greater than the individual parts and Palace specifically have some game winners in Puncheon and Bolasie.

I, not so sad to say, don't think Everton are all that good. They weren't last year, they didn't add any players of note, and came out week 1 and struggled with Watford.

Southampton have a great youth setup and talent scouts but at some point hemorrhaging players has to catch up with them. Same type of thing that happens to Sevilla, Valencia, and the other also rans in la liga every few years.

I see Stoke, Palace, and West Ham all in the same mold. Big, physical, well coached, and mentally tough teams. The high end talent quotent may not be there but they all have groups of above average proper professional players who are familiar with each other. The sum of the whole could be greater than the individual parts and Palace specifically have some game winners in Puncheon and Bolasie.
I know you won't shed for Everton but I will say Watford look the best over the promoted clubs and Everton played better than that score IMO.

Southampton has my guy Pelle who scored another goal. He would be my darkhorse for the Golden Boot if Costa has hamstring problems.

Palace looked good and Stoke definitely played well. I don't think many teams will take 3 points from the Britannia which for the non-power 5 teams would be one of the toughest stadiums. I wanna see if Leceister can do it again this week as well.

Arsenal needs its defenders to improve or Cech better figure out their defenders a lot quicker.
Right now I see it
Chelsea/Man City-1/2
Arsenal/Man U/Liverpool/Tottenham 3-6
Southampton/Everton/West Ham/Stoke/Newcastle mid table.

I would Aston Villa to play well because of Guzan.
My picks for bottom 3 Borounemouth, Norwich, West Bromich.

I think Bournemouth are the most solid promoted team. I, and my villa fan cousin, both watched that match and thought Bournemouth were the better team. Also took us 2 games to knock them from the FA cup last year so they aren't an unknown quantity to me.

City looked like world beaters today but I wouldn't take too much from that. They are a very bad matchup for West Brom in they both play speed/finesse style and City, of course, have the better ponies for that race. Will certainly find out a bit more what they're made of vs the plastics on the weekend.

I think Bournemouth are the most solid promoted team. I, and my villa fan cousin, both watched that match and thought Bournemouth were the better team. Also took us 2 games to knock them from the FA cup last year so they aren't an unknown quantity to me.

City looked like world beaters today but I wouldn't take too much from that. They are a very bad matchup for West Brom in they both play speed/finesse style and City, of course, have the better ponies for that race. Will certainly find out a bit more what they're made of vs the plastics on the weekend.
I watched that game I thought Bournemouth played better in the first half but in the second I thought AV played better. The goal scored was weak IMO but I didn't see Bournemouth pressure Guzan that much in the 2nd half.

Who would be in your relegation zone watch list?

City is definiely the top challenger to Chelsea IMO. I know your pretty pissed at Sterling but with him and De Bruyne they will have a lot of depth to overcome the losses of Milner/Dzeko. City I think are a real title contender.

What are your thoughts on where Balotelli ends up? Also have you heard Coutinho's dream squad is Barcelona in the future? I heard that from a Barca friend of mine.

Not really sure about relegation zone at this juncture but some bigger stadium clubs like Sunderland and Villa better be on alert.

I'm actually not even mad at Sterling as I think his agent was pulling his strings. I'm happy we got the money we did though admittedly I chuckled when he missed a sitter today. He's not got a real quality with his finish yet and yet to be seen if he will.

As for Coutinho, can't say I'd blame him or anyone for wanting to go to Barca. As it stands though he just reupped his contract with us and his wife is pregnant so suffice to say I think he's content at the moment.

Everton need to drop Tim Howard. He was terrible last season and got off to a bad start this weekend. He's their biggest problem. I think Southampton only needs to have a season where they don't sell, and they can solidify their mid-table status, kind of like Everton did a couple years ago. The Premier League TV deal pays enough money that these teams can fix their finances and be on firm footing without having to sell ALL of their best players. Sure, they might still cash in on one or two, but eventually these teams aren't going to be forced to sell so many quality players, and their squads will improve.

IthacaMatt post: 1447680 said:
Everton need to drop Tim Howard. He was terrible last season and got off to a bad start this weekend. He's their biggest problem. I think Southampton only needs to have a season where they don't sell, and they can solidify their mid-table status, kind of like Everton did a couple years ago. The Premier League TV deal pays enough money that these teams can fix their finances and be on firm footing without having to sell ALL of their best players. Sure, they might still cash in on one or two, but eventually these teams aren't going to be forced to sell so many quality players, and their squads will improve.

Its true but I dont see them ever improving enough to catch your blues and the like. There is something to be said about being a solid mid table club but the discrepancy between the haves and the have nots is such that sneaking into a CL spot like can be done in Spain, Italy, or Germany is essentially nil in England. With FFP supposedly being followed I'm not sure how smaller clubs can attract the requisite talent to break into top 6 much less top 4. It will essentially be the same 5 clubs fighting for 4 spots unless a club goes way to far in debt (as i hope happens to united if they miss CL) or their uber rich owners decide to stop chucking money at their play things.

Tim Howard was atrocious on the 2nd goal scored by Watford. I think Everton outplayed them but a better GK makes that saves. Not sure what is up with Howard but he needs to up his game or he will be dropped.

Everton defending was bad though when Watford had the ball. I wonder if Stones will not be sold to Chelsea now.

What's there reluctance with Lukaku, it seems every time I watch him he's a beast but it seems he never can play a full 90 mins.

Its true but I dont see them ever improving enough to catch your blues and the like. There is something to be said about being a solid mid table club but the discrepancy between the haves and the have nots is such that sneaking into a CL spot like can be done in Spain, Italy, or Germany is essentially nil in England. With FFP supposedly being followed I'm not sure how smaller clubs can attract the requisite talent to break into top 6 much less top 4. It will essentially be the same 5 clubs fighting for 4 spots unless a club goes way to far in debt (as i hope happens to united if they miss CL) or their uber rich owners decide to stop chucking money at their play things.

Well, West Ham has just been gifted an 80,000 seat stadium. They are going to be much more competitive in a few years. As other EPL teams invest in their stadiums and their ability to raise more money, they too will be able to compete with the top teams, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom