Syracuse and the Big Ten | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and the Big Ten

It would be no bueno. Timezone, completely different type of schools, little to no alumni / CNYtransplant support in any of those markets.

It makes no sense for us to be in a conference with Iowa. At least with Clemson (to name an outlier in the ACC for us) we have lots of folks relocated to the Carolinas and vacation down that way.

I don't disagree, but one thing I found interesting is that of the 14 B1G teams to be, 8 of them are in the Eastern time zone. Having all teams in EST is better, and all the other reasons people are stating.

B1G offers one thing, which is 100% chance of lifetime stability. ACC's probability is probably higher than people give it credit for, but 100%? Not sure.

B1G offers one thing, which is 100% chance of lifetime stability. ACC's probability is probably higher than people give it credit for, but 100%? Not sure.

again, this is what i cant figure out. if we are going to play the percentages, the ACC has GOT to be higher than the bevo...and yet its the ACC who is in danger of being broken up like the 97 marlins.
:noidea: :crazy:

Oh Lord

again, this is what i cant figure out. if we are going to play the percentages, the ACC has GOT to be higher than the bevo...and yet its the ACC who is in danger of being broken up like the 97 marlins.
:noidea: :crazy:

Oh Lord
and the '03 Marlins... and the '12 Marlins...

It was, their were rumblings from local Penn St media about looking at the ACC because of the sanctions from the NCAA and the B1G even piling on by withholding Penn St any B1G bowl money. Delany added 2 eastern schools for the media markets of Washington D.C. and New York City/New Jersey area and their cable boxes. If the B1G didn't add Maryland I believe when Notre Dame eventually commits the ACC full time that Penn State would have been a real viable candidate to be the 16th team and the Penn State fanbase would have been on-board.
Edit: here is the article which was written literally right before Maryland jumped ship.
http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/11/a_move_to_the_acc_could_bring.html
There's also an article about how PSU wants Pitt and Syracuse in the B1G. I think it came out around the same time.

Many PSU fans haet the B1G because they feel like the red headed stepchild of the cofnerence, and would rather play eastern teams than Iowa, Minn., Northwestern, and pals. Once the TV football money bubble pops, and things balance out, the fact that the ACC offers traditional rivalries close to home, a shorter schedule, better academics, and no gate revenue sharing, then PSU will seriously consider the ACC, especially if the ACC does something to sweeten the deal.

That's fine. I'm just saying the conference would be even more interesting if four of the teams weren't in NC. Lets face it, NC isn't FLA or Texas or California. As I said, I'm not sure who you would cut -- and I know that it isn't going to happen anyway. If you were building a conference from scratch, you wouldn't choose four all in the same state.

Why is it less interesting with four NC-based schools? I am truly curious, not trying to be argumentative for its own sake.

Sorry to take so long to respond. :)

I understand the desire to tell UMD (the institution) to go pound salt. However, this is about money...and UMD (the TV market) is entirely too prime an area to lose on a petty grievance.

If they wanted back in the ACC, I'm sure they'd be allowed back...given the correct amount of public groveling.

Truthfully, I am not so sure that the rest of the league would be welcoming of their return, were that the case.

Like you say...money talks, nonsense walks. But, betrayal is another matter altogether. JMHO...

I can imagine an NCSU/Vandy trade, where all parties are happy. Might need a $25-$50 mil sweetener for Vandy, but that should do it.

The UNC BOGs, and, the NC General Assembly, will not allow UNC and NCSU to be separated, as long as the ACC is viable. I believe thats pretty much set in stone.

Why is it less interesting with four NC-based schools? I am truly curious, not trying to be argumentative for its own sake.

#1, Because the close, geographic "rivalries" of four schools located within an hour of each other doesn't mean the same to me as it does to folks in North Carolina, and

#2, From a strictly Eyeballs & TV Sets point of view, ONE or at most TWO North Carolina schools is enough to ensure an audience and own the State.

As I said, if you were building a conference from scratch, you would never pick 4 schools from North Carolina to all be in the same conference.

Is there a chance (even the slimmest) that Maryland would get so much negative resentment that they may rethink their stance and stay? Is it legally possible? Its a very interesting topic and I would have to agree that the Maryland fans I know are "angry elves" at this time about the move.

If people are saying the vote to move to the Big 10 wasn't done legally, then yes, there is some percentage chance that they don't go thru with it. Especially if they tagged for the full $50M exit fee. Just look at the Big East for examples of teams backing out of joining a conference. It's not there's no precedent. Who knows what will happen with West Virginia over the next 10 years?

When was the last time Wake mattered? NC State has been mediocre at best for 20 years, too. And that's in both sports, not just one.

When was the last time Wake mattered? NC State has been mediocre at best for 20 years, too. And that's in both sports, not just one.
Wake was the ACC champion in 2006. It's been a lot longer for Duke.

If people are saying the vote to move to the Big 10 wasn't done legally, then yes, there is some percentage chance that they don't go thru with it. Especially if they tagged for the full $50M exit fee. Just look at the Big East for examples of teams backing out of joining a conference. It's not there's no precedent. Who knows what will happen with West Virginia over the next 10 years?
I get the money factor but like you pointed out hearing the complaints of West Virginia it makes me think Maryland maybe be hearing this and should rethink their stance

Coming to this thread late, but I love that we are going into the ACC rather than the Big1G. I can't wait until my kids are a little older and we'll be able to take some road/plane trips into the south in the fall. The thought of heading into the midwest instead is depressing, and I have family in Ohio and like it out there. ACC is so much more appealing to me, whatever the risks may be (and I think they are small).

The B1G region is the part of the country that is losing population Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania the ACC region is one that is gaining population Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida. To be fair New York is losing population as well, but I have no interest in joining the B1G and being a tomato can for Ohio State and Michigan. We can't compete consistently with those schools while it will be tough competing with Florida State and Clemson each year there is more of a chance to do so. As long, as the ACC maintains its current configuration I am happy with it over the B1G.

the ny transplants were a part of the reason we got a invite-

and the population growth is the only reason the big is looking south-

in all reality- we should be in a north east conference -but that boat sailed and burned-

acc next best option

Where do you think they'll be?

I think they'll be in either the American Conference (or a successor), or maybe in the ACC. Depends on how deep the ACC's dislike is for taking UConn, and if the ACC strikes out on getting its real target(s) when they eventually go to 16.

I think they'll be in either the American Conference (or a successor), or maybe in the ACC. Depends on how deep the ACC's dislike is for taking UConn, and if the ACC strikes out on getting its real target(s) when they eventually go to 16.

I still feel like the ACC will go 15 plus ND in for all but football.

I still feel like the ACC will go 15 plus ND in for all but football.

There will be even numbers for divisions for football - I think the ACC is done unless ND decides to join for football and they ain't walking through that door.

There will be even numbers for divisions for football - I think the ACC is done unless ND decides to join for football and they ain't walking through that door.

I just think they'll want to go 5 - 5 - 5 plus ND. Do not expect ND to join in my lifetime. (No jokes please!)

Its very deep. Blumenthal beginning the legal action a decade ago cemented their spot outside of the ACC, save for UNC's and Duke's votes. They won't ever get the votes necessary to be admitted, IMHO.

Anytime a UConn fan tells you BC vetoed their admission, they are FOS. BC does not have that kind of pull. It was the football schools who turned them down. Flat.