Syracuse basketball: School officials will attend NCAA hearing on potential violations this month | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball: School officials will attend NCAA hearing on potential violations this month

So a University disciplinary board believes they have more truth, logic, common sense, whatever than a grand jury? Why the duplication of effort?

TPD didnt press charges either. FSU is under attack.

Like I said, I just hope they dont find any improprieties

I

Given the slaps on the wrist other schools have gotten, I really doubt anything is going to come of this nonsense. The NCAA is an absolute joke though.

If nothing else, there will be a precedental basis for SU to fight against strong penalties, and contest the NCAAs methods / intent / motivations / impartiality.

The NCAA really is a joke.

TPD didnt press charges either. FSU is under attack.

Like I said, I just hope they dont find any improprieties

I
that's not even close to the same thing. The Syracuse case was presented to a grand jury, which has an incredibly low bar to clear to indict someone (i.e. the grand jury is not thinking in terms of beyond a reasonable doubt)

TPD never bothered to investigate, let alone present the case the a grand jury.

Two years? That is record time for the NCAA. If this was Duke, it would be ten years before everything got swept under the rug..
Corey Maggette - how's That investigation going?

That alleged 2007 event took place more than SEVEN years ago. It was a she said/he said thing... involving a freshman woman student who went to the room(s) of three freshmen basketball players at 3 a.m. THREE A.M.!!!

After filing her accusations... she eventually left school and chose not to pursue them. In the summer of 2008, the school said its investigation into into the matter was concluded and that no action would be taken against the three men.

It was a she said/he said thing... involving a freshman woman student who went to the room(s) of three freshmen basketball players at 3 a.m. THREE A.M.!!!

I'm not saying the players were guilty and I'm not saying they were innocent, because I don't know the truth. But the fact that she went to their rooms at 3am doesn't mean anything. A woman who voluntarily goes to a man's room at 3am doesn't make her fair game to be raped.

cto said:
That alleged 2007 event took place more than SEVEN years ago. It was a she said/he said thing... involving a freshman woman student who went to the room(s) of three freshmen basketball players at 3 a.m. THREE A.M.!!!

College kids are known to stay up late. I don't even think I considered 3 to be late in college. We were generally just getting home from bars and pizza and starting the after hours.

After filing her accusations... she eventually left school and chose not to pursue them. In the summer of 2008, the school said its investigation into into the matter was concluded and that no action would be taken against the three men.

3am doesnt matter much.

I didn't mean to say the players were guilty. Just wanted to be sympathetic to all victims.

I just don't want that to be brought up again. That is what adds air to a fire in the media.

If nothing else, there will be a precedental basis for SU to fight against strong penalties, and contest the NCAAs methods / intent / motivations / impartiality.

The NCAA really is a joke.
I actually think in general that the NCAA should issue much harsher penalties.

That being said... they passed on the chance to really drop the hammer on Penn St., a school with arguably the most egregious abuse of power in college athletics history.

If you're not going to punish for that, and then go full tilt on something lesser, well...

Rape allegations are minor in this investigation.

The academics are the concern.

It's always something.

The thing is we are not privy as to how the University dealt with the various issues that are being examined. I'm going to assume that the University took adequate measures to satisfy the NCAA (Fab Melo not being able to play, players leaving before their eligibility was extinguished etc.) and this meeting is more of a formality than anything else.

The waiting is the hardest part. Not knowing if any of the allegations of impropriety have legs and whether any impactful action will be taken against the program. The timing always seems to be exquisitely chosen... either the day prior to the first NCAA post season game... or in this case the official start of the collegiate basketball season. I mean, you can't make this stuff up.
All I know is that I can't wait for the day when we are kickin' a$$ and takin' names on our way to our next National Championship... it's not that far off people... can't ya feel it? I can.

LGO ef the NCAA!

It's always something.

Most likely going to have to forefit a bunch of games. At least JB will get to have another 800 win ceremony.

That should probably be the worst of it. Maybe lose a scholarship for a few years. With the way the NCAA has been made to look like the bunch of fools they are they have no precedence to penalize us too heavily. Look at Auburn football, Cal at Memphis, Cal at UK, etc.

It's always something.

Agree. There is absolutely NOTHING that can amount of those allegations. The girl dropped the charges. What can they possibly do? This situation has been rumored for years and always smelled of BS.

Most likely going to have to forefit a bunch of games. At least JB will get to have another 800 win ceremony.

That should probably be the worst of it. Maybe lose a scholarship for a few years.

Opinion, or something you heard/know ?

Last edited:
Given the slaps on the wrist other schools have gotten, I really doubt anything is going to come of this nonsense. The NCAA is an absolute joke though.
Honestly I tend to think your way. 20 yrs ago, I would be twitching by now. This I almost give a shrug.

Investigators who had spoken to Syracuse employees looked into the academic record of Melo, James Southerland and the school's investigation of an alleged s e xual assault that involved three Syracuse players in 2007.

with all due respect to any victims and especially the woman involved in this case - in this day and age, s e xual assault is what gets the public outcry going and media really stirring. Not academics.

I hope for a lot of peoples sakes, that they dont find any improprieties
Hope they kept the video of her actively and freely participating in the action.

Frozen said:
I'm not saying the players were guilty and I'm not saying they were innocent, because I don't know the truth. But the fact that she went to their rooms at 3am doesn't mean anything. A woman who voluntarily goes to a man's room at 3am doesn't make her fair game to be raped.

Agreed, but what if she went there twice?