Syracuse Michigan Matchup | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Michigan Matchup

the kansas game is my point though. he had a great game yet they lose by 10 if burke doesnt get crazy hot the last few minutes. i worry about burke and hardaway and stauskas first, thats how we win, stopping those guys. if burke has a bad game michigan aint winning.

For sure those guys come first. Not sure how good of a passer McGary as well.

For sure those guys come first. Not sure how good of a passer McGary as well.
He has shown to be a pretty good passer, but it's one thing to pass to wide open guys on m2m help defense, and another to find the right guy against the Orange zone. Completely different thing really. We'll see but in general I like our chances. I see Michigan turning it over a few times early and then getting frustrated and forcing things like we've seen SO MANY teams do.

I overheard a Michigan grad in the locker room this morning. He didn't sound too confident. He doesn't think Stauskas will get any good looks and he says McGary is a terrible midrange shooter.

I still have to laugh at fans that think SU's zone won't really be a problem, especially for young players who have never seen anything like it. When manned with the right players, it's like a magic show. There are lanes...and then they just disappear. Knowing what to do and then being able to do it are two very different things. Shots are rushed slightly and players are forced to shoot and make decisions just a little faster than they normally like to do. Percentages drop and turnovers rise. I agree with the others..offense is the key for us and I like us if they play man. In fact, I like us if they play zone, as it is not a regular defense for them.

This.

I find it so amazing that all of the pundits and analysts (save Bilas) can say how amazing the zone was against Indiana and then say Michigan is going to somehow figure it out. There is a chance they do - but the money has to be on that they struggle to score. Our defensive numbers have been amazing against all comers. Cal made a mini-run at the end when MCW's Mom is up in the stands crying. Otherwise - it's been dominant.

Our D has been more dominant and consistent than their O.

I hate it when a 15 point melts down to 5 and people say "it worked". To me a 15 point lead is an opportunity to win by 20 and have both teams just take the last possession off.
I understand what you're saying, but in JB's eyes, a 15 pt lead is an opportunity to win period, regardless of score. I'll take high point differentials in the reg season, but right now, just give me the win.

I still think the game is going to come down to composure. Michigan wants to push the ball, but Syracuse isn't afraid of an up-and-down game because their transition defense is good. The key is if facing a live SU Zone can make the Wolverines rush their offense a bit, that leads to mistakes and turnovers, frustration and doubt. Those are the greatest weapons SU can bring to bear. Keep your composure while those around you are losing theirs...Kipling, I believe.-VBOF

This.

I find it so amazing that all of the pundits and analysts (save Bilas) can say how amazing the zone was against Indiana and then say Michigan is going to somehow figure it out. There is a chance they do - but the money has to be on that they struggle to score. Our defensive numbers have been amazing against all comers. Cal made a mini-run at the end when MCW's Mom is up in the stands crying. Otherwise - it's been dominant.

Our D has been more dominant and consistent than their O.
You know what they always say, Offense wins championships.

Oh, wait, that's not right...

McGary reminds me of Jack Cooley a little. Great touch around the basket and motor always running. He doesn't scare me as much as the outside shooters Michigan has though. If they are knocking down 25'ers regularly, we will have problems. Making 3's would open the zone up for their forwards to score. Like others have said though, the game will be decided by how our offense does against their defense. Score 65 = Win...

and, fwiw, as far as bigs go...
Zeller > McGary
Actually, I ought to clarify this...

As far as bigs who are equipped to do damage to our zone from the foul line: Dieng > Gardner > Zeller > McGary

I like our squad against theirs.
i am nervous about the "3 foulskateers" being a problem. (kieta, south, x-mas)

I understand what you're saying, but in JB's eyes, a 15 pt lead is an opportunity to win period, regardless of score. I'll take high point differentials in the reg season, but right now, just give me the win.

But it only works like 75% of tehe time . . . . . ohh that's pretty good.

Well, McGary wasn't playing nearly as well back when Michigan played Indiana. But primarily Michigan struggled mightily to get open looks against Indiana's m2m defense in addition to playing their usual mediocre defense, allowing Oladipo, Hulls, Zeller, and Watford to do their thing.

I personally think even at this point of the year and McGary's emergence, Indiana is (was) a much scarier opponent than Michigan.

Maybe I need to go and watch Michigan tape again. McGary runs the screen and roll and dunks when Burke draws people as well as gets good offensive rebounds. When McGary catches the ball in the high post he will need to make foul line jumper or drive. He also does not have great low post moves. I think he struggles in this game. The one thing I could see him doing is getting a lot of offensive boards and put backs. Other than that I don't think he will be a problem.

I'd be ecstatic to see McGary get the ball at the FT line and either shoot or make decision from there all game. ;)

I like him better than Zeller as well long term because he isn't as soft and he really persues the ball well. Still Zeller is a much more skilled offensive player and Gardner is beefier than McGary as well as being a knock down shooter from the FT line and decent passer. We handled both of those guys.

Well, there's the part where Michigan's guards can create their own shot and Indiana's guards can't. Also the part where McGary is a much different kind of big than Zeller. Actually, the two couldn't be more different.

The only way Zeller and McGary are different is Zeller is capable of hitting a medium range jumpshot. I honestly don't understand where all this McGary love is coming from. Indiana didn't have a guard that could create off the dribble. What do you call Oladipo then? Trey Burke is 6 feet tall and I don't think he will be able to penetrate the zone of the dribble. If Siva and Smith can't do it I just don't think Burke will be able to. Michigan will have to beat the zone down the court as well as hope their bigger guards can hit some shots (Hardaway and Stauskis). They also better hope no one on their team gets in foul trouble because they have no bench. If Robinson is guarding CJ Fair and he gets some early fouls they could be in a lot of trouble.

Like the Indiana game, I find the matchup of these two teams fascinating.

When Syracuse is on Defense:

After watching a couple of Michigan games it seems like their offense is predicated on Trey Burke and Co driving into the lane and either taking a jumper or dishing to an open shooter. As we have seen so far this tournament, such dribble penetration has been nonexistent against us. Especially against smaller guards (Burke only 6ft.) I am not sure their guards have the speed of the UCONN guards, who were seemingly the only ones all year to be able to finagle their way into the paint. Not Even Louisville's guards could do major damage against us for the majority of the 3 games we played them.

Michigan also seems to have the green light from the 3 pt line, bombing away tons and tons of threes. I guess having 4 perimeter players on the court at the same time is responsible for this style of play. As we have seen in the past, this strategy can work to the opponents advantage if they get hot, but more often than not we get out on shooters and limit the amount of good looks and subsequently, makes.

Which takes me to McGarry. When Michigan misses, McGarry is always under neath doing the dirty work. He is an excellent rebounder and can finish with both hands. My question is, do they dare put him at the foul line? I'm not sure he is the guy they want shooting that 15 ft jumper or making key passing decisions. As we saw with Indiana, even Zeller was dumbfounded when he got the ball at the free throw line in the teeth of the zone.

I'm thinking they put Hardaway/Robinson at the Free-throw line. I don't think they will put Tskouskis (sp?) there because that takes away one of their key 3 pt threats. Hardaway and Robinson are very good players, but they are also young and certainly has not seen a zone like that of Syracuse. I'm thinking we see a lot of high low action with Hardaway/Robinson trying to lure out Keita/Christmas to the freethow line than dumping it down to McGarry.

When Syracuse is on Offense:

This to me is even more interesting. Michigan goes 6-10, 6-6, 6-6, 6-6, 6-0.

If Trey Burke guards MCW, Michael will have 6 inches on him and will be able to get his shot off like he has all tournament long. If Burke guards Brandon, Brandon will have 4 inches and roughly 50 lbs on him, also allowing Brandon to seemingly get the rim at will. Moreso than I can ever recall, Coach B is looking to take advantage of these mismatches this tournament. Hell, we came out in the Indiana game and saw Brandon and Mike posting up their defenders. We hadn't seen that all year.

Also, Tskouskis will be a liability for them on the defensive end. At 6-6 he will have to guard either CJ or James. If he guards CJ, CJ will have a field day under neath doing his little lefty shake and bake. And James should be licking his chops going up against a guy like Tskouskis. After seeing Oladipo and then Marquette's clutch and grab in your face D, James should be able to get shots off all night. Whether he makes them is another story.

Also worth noting is that Michigan only really plays 5 guys. Here are their minutes played this season according to ESPN. Notice the drop after the top 5.

Trey Burke 1314
Tim Hardaway Jr. 1250
Glenn Robinson III 1239
Nik Stauskas 1153
Mitch McGary 704
Jordan Morgan 560
Caris LeVert 323

That's all I got. As you all can probably tell, I cannot wait for this game to be played.
Nice summary. I like our chances against Michigan. I also like our chances against Louisville with one exception, that Cahill isn't the ref for the final.

I think the pre-game analysis for this matchup is pretty simple: Either Michigan figures out how to make shots or they don't. That's it.

I think the pre-game analysis for this matchup is pretty simple: Either Michigan figures out how to make shots or they don't. That's it.

The good news for them is they can just say they had an off shooting night if they lose, since that's what the talking heads will say. I honestly think we let Mich take all the FT line jumpers they want until they make 3 or so in a row. We will look to stay out on shooters and stop penetration.

Nice summary. I like our chances against Michigan. I also like our chances against Louisville with one exception, that Cahill isn't the ref for the final.
When Ware went down and after I stopped thinking about that injury, I said to myself there goes UL's chances at a title, that's how important I feel he was (his play lately was great).

The only way Zeller and McGary are different is Zeller is capable of hitting a medium range jumpshot. I honestly don't understand where all this McGary love is coming from. Indiana didn't have a guard that could create off the dribble. What do you call Oladipo then? Trey Burke is 6 feet tall and I don't think he will be able to penetrate the zone of the dribble. If Siva and Smith can't do it I just don't think Burke will be able to. Michigan will have to beat the zone down the court as well as hope their bigger guards can hit some shots (Hardaway and Stauskis). They also better hope no one on their team gets in foul trouble because they have no bench. If Robinson is guarding CJ Fair and he gets some early fouls they could be in a lot of trouble.

Well, we will get to see firsthand what kind of rebounder and player McGary is, this is for sure, "no nuts and bolts" about it! Would be nice to shut up all those CBS commentator's, except Gottlieb! I am not sure how I feel about him being in our corner... :bang: ...or.....:noidea:......but most likely.....:crazy:

Where are people getting this McGary can't shoot Mid range jumpers thing from. He is the only Big man we have that can hit a jumper on our team that plays. Also getting screened by McGary isn't fun. One of McGary strengths when we were recruiting him was his Mid range game.

Where are people getting this McGary can't shoot Mid range jumpers thing from. He is the only Big man we have that can hit a jumper on our team that plays. Also getting screened by McGary isn't fun.

Lately, he's the only big man on your team that plays period. Like I said, I overheard it from a member of your fan base.

Not a lot of opportunities for screens against this zone.

Lately, he's the only big man on your team that plays period. Like I said, I overheard it from a member of your fan base.

Not a lot of opportunities for screens against this zone.
Morgan and Horford have both played a good amount of time and http://michigan.At their request, t...from this site./a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=4353225

Where are people getting this McGary can't shoot Mid range jumpers thing from. He is the only Big man we have that can hit a jumper on our team that plays. Also getting screened by McGary isn't fun.

I take it you are the same guy over on your s*out board? So I'll just say this, that one Cuse guy that is trolling you guys hard, I think you guys should just ignore him.

Where are people getting this McGary can't shoot Mid range jumpers thing from. He is the only Big man we have that can hit a jumper on our team that plays. Also getting screened by McGary isn't fun. One of McGary strengths when we were recruiting him was his Mid range game.
We'll just see, won't we? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom